SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#52894 - 08/22/02 05:15 PM Re: IMPORTANT ! Does the KN7000 include a Vocalizer?!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by technicsplayer:
I should get another 7000 tomorrow...

Alec (Technicsplayer):

'Another' one? Wow! . . . that means you'll have two KN7000 kbs. One for the studio and one for the road huh?

Re: KN7000 Vocal harmonzier

I'm really surprised & disappointed to hear that Technics didn't correct the infamous KN6x00 cheesy vocal harmonizer problem on the KN7000. Hey, even my budget priced ($1,000 US) Yamaha PSR2000 includes a very decent sounding vocalizer so why couldn't Technics have done this on their top end, higher priced arranger model? Does Technics give any official explanation?

I realize that some of you may not care about the vocalizer feature, but many (most?) professional one man band entertainers 'do' sing to enhance their act, and having decent sounding vocal backup harmony has become an 'essential' part of the package, especially when performing classic pop 60's to present day contemporary tunes. Many classic pop/rock tunes demand vocal backup harmony as even the type of harmony used has become a signature feature of a song. Can you imagine singing a Beachboys tune or 'California Dreaming' without vocal harmony? I'm afraid Technics really dropped the ball on this one.

Though I've been a loyal fan of Technics KN arrangers, and certainly impressed with some of the other new KN7000 features (SD Memory, etc), I'm having serious reservations about upgrading to the KN7000 now. With my KN5000, I was at least able to place an external vocalizer box (Digitech Vocalist Workstation) right on top of the KB (directly to the right of the LCD screen: over the right speaker section), but on the KN7000, there appears to be no place an external vocalizer box can sit (fit) which will allow direct access to the vocalizer's controls & sliders while performing. I wonder if there's any possibility the KN7000's vocalizer could be improved via an OS update?!

I'm really interested in getting feedback & views from others on this.

Scott

#52895 - 08/22/02 07:51 PM Re: IMPORTANT ! Does the KN7000 include a Vocalizer?!
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Quote - “I'm really interested in getting feedback & views from others on this” by Scotty Yee.

Please don’t tempt me.

Grandpa Doug

#52896 - 08/22/02 09:48 PM Re: IMPORTANT ! Does the KN7000 include a Vocalizer?!
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Scott,
Don't forget about the rackmount harmonizers. I'm resigned to the fact that I need to carry one. It's a one space unit that has decent reverb in it too. If the keyboard mic input has EQ controls, you can have just what you need.

#52897 - 08/23/02 02:30 AM Re: IMPORTANT ! Does the KN7000 include a Vocalizer?!
technicsplayer Offline

I only had the review 7000 for a very short time, Scott, it went back on its way travelling around the world a few times...

The 6X00 had an extremely comprehensive setup and control screen for digitech or prism etc, 7000 should be the same. I have no idea what any official technics explanation for this is, I just think that most of their customers just don't use a harmoniser in anger so they spend the money elsewhere in the design process.

I know the yamaha vocalisers are good, but you must admit not as good as an external unit. To do the job properly you have to pay the licence fee for the chip, which yamaha do, rather than just use a dsp which is what technics have done. I suppose each makes a decision based on what their market thinks important. Technics attitude is probably that if you want the job done properly, hook up a digitech, we'll spend the money on sounds/screen/operating system, the things that our market go for?

#52898 - 08/23/02 04:54 AM Re: IMPORTANT ! Does the KN7000 include a Vocalizer?!
peter castanos Offline

Loc: sydney australia
Quote:
Originally posted by technicsplayer:
we'll spend the money on sounds/screen/operating system, the things that our market go for?

".......and we'll include a useless harmoniser to cheapen our product and annoy some of our customers"!!

#52899 - 08/23/02 05:35 AM Re: IMPORTANT ! Does the KN7000 include a Vocalizer?!
technicsplayer Offline

and a brassiliser....
and in days gone by a button giving you church bells and bird tweets on the panel....

obviously these ideas originate from the cheese department.
anyone for gorgonzola?

#52900 - 08/28/02 09:02 AM Re: IMPORTANT ! Does the KN7000 include a Vocalizer?!
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
Scott,Don't forget about the rackmount harmonizers.

Yes, I agree. For the larger wedding/corporate party events, bringing a dedicated vocalizer rack is fine, but for the 45 minute set nursing home gigs & smaller venues (multiple gig/day type events) I need to travel as 'light as possible' with 'minimal equipment' for quick in/out setup and breakdown time.

If only the KN7000 included a vocal harmonizer of at least comparable sound quality as the one included in my budget priced Yamaha PSR2000 I would be happy. Sounds like this isn't the case though.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online