SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#52759 - 12/17/03 01:53 PM CD Storage of Music Index
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
HELP!

I have backed up all my sheet music/books (nearly 12,000 titles in all) and saved to a CD. Tonight I wished to alter some of them but was informed they are "Read Only" files and cannot be edited. Despite removing the tick in the "Read Only" box, I am still locked out. Is this normal, or is there a way of overcoming the "Read Only" Mode?

I would very much appreciate a reply if anyone has the answer.

Thanks!

Aud

#52760 - 12/17/03 02:01 PM Re: CD Storage of Music Index
Mainer Offline

Loc: Saco, Me
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Audrey Turner:
[B]HELP!

Quick answer is no.

Workaround is copy files to a folder and change attributes to archive. Edit to your hearts content SAVE WORK and burn a new cd or have A CD-RW cd and use it instead of a CD-R

HOPE THAT HELPS

jERRY

#52761 - 12/29/03 10:06 PM Re: CD Storage of Music Index
Mark And Michelle Offline

Loc: Mersea Island, Essex, U K
Hi Audrey,

From what you've said and based on the previous reply, I think you made the error of putting the data on to a CDr. This counts as a one-off copy in that once the data's written it cannot be altered.

My advice would be to copy the data back from the CDr to an empty folder on your desktop, alter it as necessary, then copy the new data to a CDrw, which you can erase and record to again as you see fit.

Any troubles, yell,

Mark

#52762 - 12/30/03 06:41 PM Re: CD Storage of Music Index
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Audrey Turner:

I have backed up all my sheet music/books (nearly 12,000 titles in all) and saved to a CD.

Audrey, I have 7 main books I use for my music, I would like to back them up on to a CD, or I guess CDr. How did you get the sheet music into the computer? Did you scan them?
I would hate to write all of them with my music writing program.

Thank you, John C.

#52763 - 12/31/03 08:12 AM Re: CD Storage of Music Index
Anonymous
Unregistered

Audrey,

I subsribe to the "Kim Komando Daily Computer Newsletter" and Read Only was addressed. Looked in my Recycle Bin but I must have emptied it.

If I remember correctly, she recommended zipping the files before saving to CD. When unzipping you can edit.

Happy New Year,

Fran in Florida

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online