SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#52658 - 02/22/00 11:17 AM HD-TechManager5000
Tony Cotton Offline

Loc: UK
I have purchased the HD-TechManager5000 and have a problem understanding how to get past the starting gate due to the message "port is not active".
The translation of information is difficult to sort out but I suppose is clear to computer boffins.
I prefer the black and white keys to Qwerty !!

I am using the supplied cable from my printer output port on the PC.

I have set my KN5000 pc data link to show status as "Port is active".

I have HD-AE5000 version2.05 upgrade.

I don't really understand the information given related to PS2 / EPP but believe that I am using bi-directional to my Canon BJC-4550 printer ? or is this my source of error?

I am down to my last non password attempt to solve the connection problem.
What do I do to get up and rolling with the software, or do I wait for my password from Roland or whoever, and then try every option I can find.

There is a suggestion that I may need another plugin card is this perhaps the case??

I have a switcher from printer to KN5000 avoiding the physical need to change connectors at the rear of my PC.

Any ideas what I can do?? Please

Tony Cotton

------------------
T C

#52659 - 02/22/00 12:06 PM Re: HD-TechManager5000
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Tony,

How are things going in the UK?

Nice to read your posting on this board but also sorry to hear of your problems with not being able to get TechManager 2.05 to work with your KN5000 keyboard.

It appears like your computer bios setting of PS2 (bi-directional) is correct but I'm curious "what other" parrallel port setting options are available to you on your PC? You might try the other settings out and see if you have any luck.

You said that you are using the 'supplied' cable, do you mean the one from Keysoft Service? It is important that you are using the 'special' CE controlled parrallel port cable supplied by Keysoft Service. Also, did you try connecting the KN5000 directly to your PC without using the switcher? I wonder if the switcher could be interfering with the signal path.

Yes, there is a plug-in "parrallel port card" which can be installed in your PC if your current PC does not support the bi-directional bios setting which is required for Tech Manager 2.05. I believe it available from Keysoft Service; but hopefully you will be able to find a bios Parallel Port setting on your existing computer which will solve the problem.

Hope these suggestions bring you success. Please let us know.

Warmest regards from California (USA),

- Scott Yee

#52660 - 02/22/00 01:08 PM Re: HD-TechManager5000
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Hi Tony,

Scott is right. You need to test the setup without your switcher in the loop. If that doesn't solve the problem the answer is in the BIOS setup for your PC. The LPT1 port must be set to the EPP (bi-directional) mode for the thing to work.

#52661 - 02/23/00 01:18 PM Re: HD-TechManager5000
Tony Cotton Offline

Loc: UK
Greetings to Scott and Bob,

You both did me a power of good, Thank you.

I am a little worried about playing with my Bios settings but I eventually found "EPP" and it all works, Three cheers to you both.

Now all I need is a password from Roland Schmid after he receives my registration.

I started to do a backup which failed about half way through, but it seems to be doing the right things in the software.

Scott - I hope I didn't mislead you with your separate enquiry into versions etc.

The version of my HD-TechManager5000 is 2.0.0 but the upgrade for my HD-AE5000 hard disk is 2.06 from the Keysoftservice site.

Does this help your understanding of upgrade versions.

Best regards

Tony Cotton

------------------
T C

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online