SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5218 - 09/11/05 12:39 PM Synth advice wanted by newbie
sigee Offline

Loc: Cornwall UK
Hi All
I know nothing about synths apart from the fact that I want one.
Im after some thing that is as cheap and easy to use as possible.I want to be able to creat my own sounds and download and use ready made sounds.I also want to muck about with human voices.It would be nice if I could connect it up to my computer.
I dont have a clue what to buy so any advice would be much apreciated.

#5219 - 09/11/05 04:26 PM Re: Synth advice wanted by newbie
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
sigee
May I be one of the first to welcome you aboard.
What's your budget?
From that, maybe someone here can steer you towards an inexpensive way to accomplish what you're wanting to do.
I see from your profile you're overseas, so personally, I'm not up on the price differences between where You are & North America.
I know you'll get some good sound advice here.

...once again...nice to have you aboard.

------------------
...shboom

#5220 - 09/12/05 06:23 AM Re: Synth advice wanted by newbie
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Welcome,
Shboom pretty much asked what I wanted to ask. KNowing what your budget is will help us give you some useful advice.

Even without knowing your budget I can right away tell you that the most inexpensive way to get your hands on some good synths and sounds is to get some software synths and instruments. If you have a good computer that is fast enough that is. You will be able to do more and pay less.

Another way to approach this is to look for used synthesizers and sound modules. eBay and other on-line auctions are the best way to find those. Not the safest way however. Buying used gear is a tricky business full of surprises.

-ED-

#5221 - 09/12/05 10:11 AM Re: Synth advice wanted by newbie
sigee Offline

Hi Guys
Thanks for the welcome.
My budget is so low its almost embarrasing.
Im looking at spending as little as possible to start with...around £50 $100.
I dont want to go the way of software synths.I used to own a DX7 but they are out of my price range for now.
So if you know of any bottom of the range synths that can be brought for my tiny budget please let me know.

Cheers
Simon

#5222 - 09/12/05 10:34 AM Re: Synth advice wanted by newbie
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
As Ed said...perhaps you just need to look at a controller, and have your modules onboard your computer, upgrading your soundcard if necessary also.
Personally, I think $100 is only gonna buy you frustration.
Good Luck..

------------------
...shboom

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 09-12-2005).]

#5223 - 09/12/05 11:27 AM Re: Synth advice wanted by newbie
sigee Offline

Iv just been looking into controllers and they do seem to be a good idea.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what and where to buy ?.
Also what software would you recommend ?.

cheers
Si

#5224 - 09/12/05 03:36 PM Re: Synth advice wanted by newbie
3351 Offline

Yeah. I have to agree there. A hundred bucks ain't gonna getcha much.
Even if you end up using fre software synths (there are some really good ones out there. Crystal, Minimoog VA, ARP 2600 VA, ZingerDX etc) you will still need some sequencer/audio software, an audio card and a controller. In case if you own a PC (unless of coarse you own a few Macs like I do) software like Cubase A or Sonar will do fine. Not cheap at all but wirth every penny. Audio cards that come with PCs are okay but you will need a good ASIO driver to handle latency and so on. Although don't quote me on that because I do not use anything that runs on Windows XP.
However, just for messing around and exploring software synths and instruments you'll get away with almost any soundcard.

Controller is a different story. I owned quite a few. Still have a DX 7 BTW. If you can find one of those with either E card or SER-7 updates it wil serve you another hundred years or so. Even if it is banged up and scratched like it's been hit by a truck. DX is probably the most reliable and cheap controller out there. Mind you I like to program those too. BUt that is a different story my friend. Will get back to it another time.
Anyway, I think I posted a thread or two on all known MIDI controllers so just do a search. I've described and provided links for almost any controller there is. Should be in archives unless this big hard drive crash that happened last year wiped all of my writing out.

If you don't find much let me know. I'll have to type it all again.

-ED-

#5225 - 09/12/05 04:02 PM Re: Synth advice wanted by newbie
sigee Offline

Thanks for all the info ed,I will do a search and see what I come up with.
Am I right in thinking that any midi enabled keyboard will do as a controller ?.
If not what do I need ?.

Thanks again to all for all the help

Simon

#5226 - 09/12/05 05:35 PM Re: Synth advice wanted by newbie
3351 Offline

Yes,
Anything with MIDI, 48 or 88-note velocity sensitive keyboard, modulation and pitch bend wheels will do the job as long as you are able to connect it to your computer. You will need MIDI inputs/outputs to do that (unless of coarse your controller will have USB). Simple USB MIDI interfaces with just 1 MIDI in and 1 MIDI out (you will only need MIDI IN since you will be using your keyboard as a controller) don't cost much. Some come as so called USB-MIDI adaptors that simply look like weird cables. Anyway, MIDI connections isn't an issue.

If you do decide to get a decent audio card BTW most come with their own MIDI ports.

It is far more important to make sure that your computer meets the specifications of the software that you will use. You will need at least 512 MB of RAM and a processor with the speed of 600Mhz or higher (most computers nowadays come with at least 512MB of RAM and processors as fast as 3Ghz (3000Mhz). But unless you have a five year old computer you shouldn't really worry.

-ED-

#5227 - 09/13/05 01:38 AM Re: Synth advice wanted by newbie
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Sigee
From the £ sign you used first I assume you are based in the UK? If so pop over to www.bck.co.uk as they do some basic PC controller keyboards complete with basic sequence software (Most also connect direct to the game port which also provides power to the keyboard, Midi Output is also provided) which will get you going, although they are slightly more then your budget, these prices are about as low as you can get for new keyboards. (Please remember these are just controller keyboards and contain no sounds or styles etc, all this is done by the computer)
Hope this helps.

Bill

#5228 - 09/13/05 03:35 AM Re: Synth advice wanted by newbie
sigee Offline

Thanks Ed and Bill
I think Im getting close to what I need now.
Iv been looking on ebay and some of the evolution keyboards are within my price range.Now I need just one more piece of advice.What software do you recommend bearring in mind that ease of use is important and that I want to be able to download sounds/voices etc and use them.

Thanks again
Si

#5229 - 09/13/05 03:43 AM Re: Synth advice wanted by newbie
sigee Offline

By the way Ed
Iv done a search for you thread and cant seem to find it.
If you can find it please post a link...If not then just the links to the controler sites would be much apreciated.

Cheers
Si

#5230 - 09/13/05 06:30 AM Re: Synth advice wanted by newbie
3351 Offline

Hi!
I'm no expert on PC music software for beginners. However, there are many other wise ones here.

Controllers...
Well, instead of me having to type it all again and killing my brain trying to recall all the links that can be found on Google, Mamma, search and other internet search engines I will just mention some controllers and older synths that can be used as controllers.

Look for brands like:
Roland, Yamaha, General Music, Evolution, Kurzwell, Kawai, Korg, M-Audio and Alesis..

They all have been making synths and controller keyboards for as long as I remember. Mind you ideally I think you should get a new controller with it's own USB interface so all you will need to worry about is installing USB drivers and connecting the USB cable.

Buying used gear (be it a synth, synth module or just a controller) is tricky. Too tricky for beginners. I got burned buying used gear several times so it is safe to say that it is unsafe to do. In a long run you also want something that will last you for a long time and is easy and cheap to repair. Most of old synths and workstations (except for a few like DX7 for example) are hard to find in a good shape and even if lady luck smiles at you few years down the road you will break off a switch or the internal battery will give out and you're pretty much screwed. Of coarse you can always buy another controller but I'd go with something new if I were you.

Here's however some of the old synths that you can use as controllers.
Alesis Quadrasynth, QS6, QS7, QS8.
Roland JV30, JV80, JV90, JV1000, XP50, XP80.
Korg M1, T1, T2, T3, O1/W.
Kawai K1, K3, K5, K5000.
Yamaha DX7, DX5, DX7II,SY77, SY88, SY99, EX5, EX7.

Those are synths. You will be able to use them for both sounds and controlling your computer and software synths.

You may also want to GOogle search specs, prices and info on Roland A-series controllers. I've used them all I think. From A30 to A90. ALl are good. A bit hard to find used sometimes but generally they come in a good condition because Roland builds their stuff well) and their service is pretty good. At least to my experience. Aftertouch can be a bit stiff but that's not necessarily a bad thing if you don't want unwanted aftertouch events recording into your sequencer all the time and you don't want to disable aftertouch altogether. That is another story for another time.

Okay. Good luck. Do some searching. Generally websites like Vyntage Synth Explorer provide all the necessary info on older synths and controllers. You will find specs, links, info, reviews and price lists there. Just type in a model name and you can find out anything you like.

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 09-13-2005).]

#5231 - 09/13/05 09:36 AM Re: Synth advice wanted by newbie
abacus Offline

Hi Si
I used to use an Evolution keyboard with my computer some time ago and while not having the feel or robustness of more expensive keyboards, I never had any problems with it, but as ED says unless you can actually try it, you may get your fingers burnt.
The Evolution keyboards also came with a basic sequencer program, that contained the following edit functions, Track, Drum, Score, Mixer, Conductor, Event and Piano Roll, it could also import Wav audio files to mix with your Midi sequences.
In addition it also incorporates basic styles and an on screen keyboard, so was ideal to get you started. It used to be available on the Evolution web site but now seems to have disappeared, fortunately I still have a copy on my hard Disc, the size is 788Kb so if you have a broadband connection I could email it to you if the keyboard you purchase has not got any software with it, (It includes a quick start guide in the help menu) Don’t forget to Google as well.
Hope this helps.

Bill

#5232 - 09/13/05 09:42 AM Re: Synth advice wanted by newbie
sigee Offline

Hi Bill
I think I will be buying an evolution as the price is right.
Thanks for the offer,the software looks like just what I need to get started.
If I dont get the sofware with the controller I will get in touch.

Thanks again
Si

#5233 - 09/13/05 10:10 AM Re: Synth advice wanted by newbie
abacus Offline

Hi Si
Just thought I had better mention that the Evolution software I have on my Hard Disk is the FREE download version (No Restrictions) off the Evolution web site, NOT the program that came with the keyboard, which was included when I sold it. So there are no licensing problems.

Bill

#5234 - 09/13/05 01:21 PM Re: Synth advice wanted by newbie
sigee Offline

Has any one ever heard of the TERRATEC TMP1 ?.Are they any good ?.

#5235 - 09/18/05 07:19 AM Re: Synth advice wanted by newbie
sigee Offline

Right thanks to all your advice I have the following on the way...
Evolution MK161 keyboard/controller
Soundblaster with proper midi in/out..I forget which one it is but its good enough for what I want.
Software...Cubase Sx3...Synfactory...AdsynDX

Thats about it for now.
All thats left is a very sharp learning curve...lol

Cheers
Si

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online