SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#51966 - 09/21/05 01:36 PM I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
HI all,
I have just purchased the Yamaha Tyros 2 from Dan O'neil owner of Music City in Baltimore. I understand it will be shown at a music festival in the UK on Oct 1st. I anticipate deliver in late Oct or early Nov as I am the first to get on the list of buyers with my deposit.
I will be selling the Yamaha PSR 9000 but keeping all the Technics Keyboards for the time being, although I plan to dismantle the recording studio and sell everything in here except for two keyboards, the laptop and a stereo Amp, that will travel well in the new motorhome. I might even sell all this stuff for enough money to buy some fuel for it too
Best to all
Bebop

#51967 - 09/25/05 11:01 AM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
BEBOP Offline

Dan O'Neil owner of Keyboard City in Baltimore where I ordered my Tyros 2 has his first allottment nearly sold out. After this first group is sold they will be back ordered to the next allottment.
I think this keyboards is going to be a big seller in the Technics Community.
I have been doing more research, playing more demo's and listening to the new sounds and I am getting anxious. Two of our members have also placed their order with Dan.
Bebop

#51968 - 09/25/05 04:54 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
I listened to the demos - some great sounds and the styles sound quite good too BUT unless they have drastically improved the operating system 'friendliness', particularly the editing facilities, this is one KN7000 Player who will not even be interested......

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#51969 - 09/28/05 01:57 AM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

Here's a little food for thought.

The operating system, once someone becomes used to it as it would be something new, most people find it the easiest OS to operate.

As far as editing, community support and resources, I think you'll find it second to none.

Check out these links.
http://www.1manband.nl/omb.htm
http://www.svpworld.com/psr_software.htm
http://www.psrtutorial.com/Help/help.html

But, you be the judge.

Best
Scott Langholff
http://ScottLMusic.com

#51970 - 09/28/05 02:41 AM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
D.Munson Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:
Originally posted by BEBOP:
HI all,
I have just purchased the Yamaha Tyros 2 from Dan O'neil owner of Music City in Baltimore. I understand it will be shown at a music festival in the UK on Oct 1st. I anticipate deliver in late Oct or early Nov as I am the first to get on the list of buyers with my deposit.
I will be selling the Yamaha PSR 9000 but keeping all the Technics Keyboards for the time being, although I plan to dismantle the recording studio and sell everything in here except for two keyboards, the laptop and a stereo Amp, that will travel well in the new motorhome. I might even sell all this stuff for enough money to buy some fuel for it too
Best to all
Bebop

Dear Bebop,

Converting the price to pounds sterling I thought it was a bit steep for a keyboard when the KN7000 was launched it was far less than the price of the new Tyros.

Derek Munson

#51971 - 09/28/05 04:02 AM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
As far as editing, community support and resources, I think you'll find it second to none.

as far as on board editing is concerned, which is what Bill referred to, it is most definitely second by a l-o-n-g way.

#51972 - 09/28/05 06:16 AM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#51973 - 09/28/05 06:57 AM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
BEBOP Offline

I think that MOST people do not buy Arranger Keyboards to be editors.
they buy the keyboards and then they buy the edits from those that are in the business of developing them and selling them to NON EDITORS.
Those that are would be editors mostly buy workstations
Bebop

#51974 - 09/28/05 12:38 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
My first Technics keyboard was a KN1500 that my wife got me as a gift and I didn't know squat about it's functions. I couldn't even figure out what to do if a downloaded style had a sequenced song, so I just dumped the style even though I really, really wanted to use it. In order to use the manual, one had to know enough about what you were doing to figure out where to look in the manual. But, since I did learn how to play the thing and finally record with it, I decided to move up to the new KN6000. This thing had me mystified on it's inner workings, so learning all the new processes became a challenge. Slowly but surely, things started to become clearer and learning the editor became a necessity. It was far easier to correct one note or chord then do what I had been doing before - restarting the recording from square one. Recording a song fifty times just to get it right was fast turning into a chore. Learning the basics of the editor wasn't all that easy, but it became easier the more I used it, and it paved the way for learning how to use other important functions from style conversions and construction, to creating sounds and voices. In essence, the Technics keyboards are complicated pieces and hard to learn UNLESS you happen to find someone to help you over the humps. Once I discovered the Technics forum (first, the old one, and now this one), life became much simpler and the finer points of making music were finally within my grasp. Music with a keyboard actually became FUN for me, and I owe that fact to the assistance of people on a forum that cared enough to help anyone who popped in with a question. These last few years have been great ones because of that fact, not whether or not the keyboard was particularly more user friendly. After all, the keyboard doesn't give me perfectly clear directions or correct me if I do something wrong, it just blindly goes along with whatever silly thing I want to do. So, when I find it necessary to quit with Technics, I'm not sure what I will do. Hopefully, the Tyros will have evolved into something I can figure out and play, without having to contact Scott Yee with a load of questions. And, since Alec hasn't jumped on board with another brand, I think caution is the best guide at this point. Once he lets us in on the next best keyboard, then I'll reconsider. Just my opinion.

#51975 - 09/28/05 03:59 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
BEBOP Offline

Tom in San Francisco another technics owner player has just joined Scott Yee and I with his order, so there are going to be three Tyros 2 in our area. Two more ladies on my email lists have also ordered from Dan O.
he must be running out of order blanks by now.
I can see the next synthzone Jam at my place here in San Jose being all Tyros 1 and 2
Psssst, anybody wanna buy 4 Technics keyboards?
Bebop

#51976 - 09/28/05 10:28 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
Quote:
Originally posted by BEBOP:
I think that MOST people do not buy Arranger Keyboards to be editors.
Bebop

I don't think MOST people buy the KN7000, one of the most popular sought after keyboards on EBay and probably the world to keep tinkling with the fluffs intact and groping in the dark

#51977 - 09/28/05 11:06 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by technicsplayer:
as far as on board editing is concerned, which is what Bill referred to, it is most definitely second by a l-o-n-g way.

I was referring to editing using the computer programs. It's much easier. But then, I don't do a lot of that. I'd rather play music than push buttons. haha

#51978 - 09/29/05 06:28 AM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
Marilyn Boissoneault Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Florida, USA
I think the Tyros 2 will be a great keyboard. I don't plan to buy one however. I have a YamahaPSR3000 as a second keyboard, I find it quite easy to use......however I don't do much editing. I have a couple of Yamaha Software programs that allow me to do some style manipulation on my computer, enough for my needs.

I did go to an introductory concert on the new "Technote" organ about a month ago. I was very impressed with it. I'm really not in the market for an organ either. Simon demo'd it. I'm not very familiar with the Technic's organs but I did feel that the new Technote's organ was geared to owners of Technic's organs. It sounded good, had many features, and seemed to be quite easy to use........I only mention this because Technote's is planning on building keyboards too. Not sure when or what though. I just have been wondering if they might eventually have a keyboard that might be a good progression from the KN7000. Might be something to look forward to.

Marilyn

#51979 - 09/29/05 07:44 AM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
BEBOP Offline

I do all my editing in Cakewalk deluxe Pro Audio 9. It is so much simpler then wading through all the windows of a keyboard and wondering if what you just selected is what you want to do
Keyboards come and go but cakewalk/sonar is for ever
BEBOP

#51980 - 09/29/05 12:33 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
Johnnie.c Offline

Bebop
here are a few of your own quotes from previous posts about Yamaha ease of use and operating system it is strange how sometimes people can get caught up in their own hypocritical world of fantasy

posted 05-01-2003 03:54 PM

I had a hard drive in the KN3000 and it was super. I moved into the KN6000 and could not get a hard drive that would work. I gave it up. After 4 Technics keyboards I gave them up too and bought the Yamaha PSR9000 and put a hard drive in it and hooked up a SCSI CDRW drive I had in the studio. This is all great and what I wanted the KN6000 to be, but the only problem is that the Yam 9000 is not a Technics. Well, as you might guess or probably heard I am back to playing and recording on the KN6000 again and thinking about a KN7000. (The Yam 9K is resting at present
Bebop

posted 09-28-2003 04:32 PM

I have the KN6000 and after listening to all the bad mouthing about the KN7000 and the sd card system I marched right down town and bought the Yamaha PSR9000. I fought if for about 6 months and when everyone seemed to realize that the problems with the KN7 was them and not the machine, I agreed and went back to town and bought the KN7.
I think I have played the PSR9000 maybe twice since the KN7 came into the studio.
IT WAS DUMB TO BUY IT! I admit it. It is also interesting that the PSR9000 has depreciated almost 60 % in the year I have had it. the KN6 is two plus years old and has depreciated only 1/3 = 33% in over two years. Does this tell you something else.
Tim if you need or want to sell the Kn7 there is a strong market available to you. If you want or need to sell the Yam, oh darn, the used marked it pretty thin and the depreciation is AWESOME!
GET OVER IT!
Learn to love it. You will even know how to properly use it in only a few months and it will do things you never believed. Your Yam will end up sitting and depreciating just like mine
Best to you
Bebop

posted 11-02-2003 09:07 AM

my post is very simple. I have been a musician for 67 years. I have owned a recording studio for many years. I have owned most of the keyboards since 1972. I always buy the top of the line. I have a KN7000 and a Yamaha 9000.
There is no comparison. The 9000 is for sale and it is supposedly a much better board then the tyros. The 9000 has not been used since the KN7000 arrived. We all make mistakes by LISTENING TO OTHERS OPINIONS!!! Do your homework and research before committing to something that might not fit your needs, once you have defined your needs.EOM
BEBOP

#51981 - 09/29/05 01:45 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
BEBOP Offline

HI JOHNNY,
I do remember posting all those.
Not much has changed. I still have 4 technics boards and play two of them all the time, KN7 and KN2. the KN6 is at rest and the KN800 in storage. I hardly ever play the YAM 9000.
I really want to get a new keyboard this year. I had narrowed down my choices between the Roland G 70, the Korg Paix, and the Yamaha Tyros 2. The more I read, studied and researched these three boards, the more people I talked to that had bought the other two, the easier it came to make my decision for the T-2. I Believe if I quit playing the Technics for awhile I can overcome my inherent resistance to the Yam Operating system. There are many things I like about the Yam OS but again many more I don't like. I think many of those I don't like will be modified into more usable options.
I will definately keep either the KN7000 or the KN2600, but will make that decision after I have had the t-2 for about 6 months. It may be that I will keep both of those Technics and sell the T-2.
Best to you,
Bebop

#51982 - 09/29/05 02:49 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O

I think you'll find the operating system for the Tyros2 is much easier than the operating system you have on your PSR9000. I used to read all the time about the steep learning curve for the 9000. Yamaha updated their OS and the Tyros and PSR3000 are quite easy to operate.

Marilyn

#51983 - 09/29/05 02:53 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
BEBOP Offline

Thanks Marilyn,
I am VERY happy to hear that. I just gave up on the 9000. It just sits and pouts
Bebop

#51984 - 09/29/05 04:13 PM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
If this means anything to you, when I purchased the Yamaha PSR2000 (of which shares nearly the identical OS navigation system as Tyros2) as a followup to my Technics KN5000, I was able to start gigging with it in less than a week. Though I admit, Yamaha's hardware sequencer editing sucks, in all other respects, I feel Yamaha's OS is just as EZ (or easier) to navigate as Technics. For sequencer/midi editing, I concur with Bebop, finding using PG Music PowerTracks or Sonar the best choice. I prefer seeing everything graphically on a 'large screen' monitor than having to press numerous buttons to find sub-menu windows on the much smaller LCD screen of ANY arranger keyboard, both KN7000 and Tyros included. - Scott

#51985 - 09/30/05 12:25 AM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
Peter Lowden Offline

Been away for a while, really good to read the forum's comments on the new Tyros 2, I see our friend Johnnie C is still laying down the law and trying to disrupt an informative thread (nothing changes)

I own the KN7000 and the Tyros 1 they are both excellent instruments, i've found the OS very different on both machines but i've found it simply a matter of adjusting ones line of thought, you very quickly get used to either OS.

As soon as I heard that Technics were no longer making keyboards I moved on, you have to keep up with technology etc, can't live in the past.

Kind regards to all

Peter

#51986 - 09/30/05 08:49 AM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
BEBOP Offline

IF you want to see what Panasonic/Matsushita is up to now go to the Bar Forum here in the synthzone and look at the post I put up there this morning. http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum35/HTML/000484.html
Their new product will make them a lot more money then Technics keyboards would make them. That may be what was behind their decision to get out of the keyboard business. It always comes down to MONEY as in PROFITS
Best to all
BEBOP

[This message has been edited by BEBOP (edited 09-30-2005).]

#51987 - 09/30/05 09:10 AM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
Peter Lowden Offline

Anyone wishing to view the colour brochure of the Tyros 2 just email me

peterloudon@wight365.net

#51988 - 09/30/05 11:44 AM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Phil Leader, the inspirational force behind Technics, is now one of the people at Yamaha, to have had an influential role in the development of Tyros2. As Peter stated, times change. - Scott

#51989 - 10/01/05 02:13 AM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O
church Offline

Loc: Fremont,CA.
Quote:
Originally posted by Marilyn Boissoneault:
I think you'll find the operating system for the Tyros2 is much easier than the operating system you have on your PSR9000. I used to read all the time about the steep learning curve for the 9000. Yamaha updated their OS and the Tyros and PSR3000 are quite easy to operate.

Marilyn
I just got my 3000 about a week ago Marilyn,I love it,Play along with My KN6000 too,Great Combo.Boy sure is alot of freeware for the PSR's.Ron

#51990 - 10/01/05 06:48 AM Re: I Just ordered the Tyros 2 From Dan O

Quote:
Originally posted by church:

[/b]
I just got my 3000 about a week ago Marilyn,I love it,Play along with My KN6000 too,Great Combo.Boy sure is alot of freeware for the PSR's.Ron

[/B][/QUOTE]

Hi, I have the KN7000 and the PSR3000, love them both. Yes, there is a ton of freeware for the PSR's on the net.
Marilyn

[This message has been edited by Marilyn Boissoneault (edited 10-01-2005).]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online