SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#51825 - 01/10/03 02:59 PM Health warning of the SD-card
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Imagine the next situation:
I'm at my hobbycorner: switching between computer/cardreader and KN7000.
SDcard in cardreader, card out, keyboard in, keyboard out, cardreader in, reading in computer, card out, card in and so on. Many will recognize this situation.
My beloved wife brings me a cup of coffee and a biscuit.
So the next situation: SDScard in,SDcard out, a draft coffee, SDcard in keyboard, card out keyboard, a bite of my biscuit, card in cardreader, card out cardreader, put it in on my desk. Take a draft of coffee AND PUT THE SD-CARD IN MY MOUTH...
It could have been an expensive biscuit. So I warn you for this little devil . I never had this problem with floppies...
Be warned,
Cees

#51826 - 01/10/03 04:12 PM Re: Health warning of the SD-card
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cees,
Interesting that you thought how small the SD is. My friends with the 7000 have had the same conversation. So much work in such a tiny little package (biscuit).

Attended a workshop by a Technics Rep and he had his SD card on a chain around his neck. Loss was also his concern. One card for playing and a CD or another SD for backup is a must for me. (I don't trust computer hard drives....lost to many)

Fran in Florida

#51827 - 01/10/03 05:19 PM Re: Health warning of the SD-card
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Cees - Could have been worse - you could have plugged the SD card into the coffee or plugged the coffee into the KN7000

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#51828 - 01/11/03 01:47 AM Re: Health warning of the SD-card
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi Fran and Bill,
i love those humourous reactions Bill. That's was also the intension of my post. But Fran, you got a point. I'v a digital camera with 2 CF-cards. I'v lost 1 of them, luckily the smallest tiny (now it's going complicated ), for reason they are so tiny.
So it will be a nightmare if I should have a tiny, hundreds of euro's, 4GB SD-card
I'v notices that with my big fingers its sometimes difficult to get grip on the tiny SD-card to lift it out of the slot on the KN7. (Or don't drink again...) I even wonder if this new construction is solid enought for coming years. We will see....
Greetings,
Cees.

#51829 - 01/11/03 03:40 AM Re: Health warning of the SD-card
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
Hi Cees
I suppose that's one way of digesting all your songs in one go.. Whatever you do though, don't start sticking stamps on envelopes at the same time - not unless you stick the 'blue' one on an envelope addresses to me
On a slightly more serious note. I had reached 33% of a 128Mb - then last night whilst putting some more files on, the space remaining is OK, but the space used has suddenly started to count from 0% again - Anybody experienced anything similar?????????
John

#51830 - 01/11/03 04:45 AM Re: Health warning of the SD-card
Bill Norrie Offline

Hi John, I haven't experienced any troubles with any of my SD cards but I don't like the sound of that!! I trust you have a backup on PC of the card's content (knowning you, you probably have). Can you still read the card in the KN7000 or card reader? Maybe try a re-format and then transfer the data back to the card. I make a backup of my cards to PC at least once a week - Paranoia or what

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

#51831 - 01/11/03 06:03 AM Re: Health warning of the SD-card
John North Offline

Hi Bill
Yes, like you, I'm backing up at least once a week.(Belt and Braces ) I wont risk the re-format at the moment until a new SD card arrives - then I'll transfer my latest back up onto the new card then try the reformat of the 128Mb card.
I've ordered a 256Mb (SanDisk) through e-bay which is en route from the US at a cost of £89 + postage (£4.99). If any UK members want details, drop me a line.
John

#51832 - 01/11/03 07:09 AM Re: Health warning of the SD-card
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
John, the same thing happened to me. In fact it happens several times as you fill the 128 mb card. Not to worry, though. Everything still works OK. My 128 mb card is full and it works fine. I think it's just a minor software problem with the KN7000.

#51833 - 01/11/03 09:36 AM Re: Health warning of the SD-card
ogre Offline

Loc: UK
Mmmmmmm.. I'm glad I'm a simple minded soul and just play my Kn7000 without resort to chewing up, or even using the sd card. Cometo think of it, I haven't seen my card since the day the 7000 arrived...

Ogre

#51834 - 01/11/03 03:36 PM Re: Health warning of the SD-card
Bill Norrie Offline

Hi Ogre, According to your profile, one of your interests is aquiring new styles. Just out of interest, where do you store them? Surely not on Floppy

------------------
Willum

Aldous Huxley

#51835 - 01/11/03 04:54 PM Re: Health warning of the SD-card
Mel Trevey Offline

Loc: Ft Myers, Fl, USA
This seems to be the norm....the count starts over. Wouldn't worry.....Mel in Florida

#51836 - 01/12/03 02:38 AM Re: Health warning of the SD-card
John North Offline

Bob & Mel
Thanks for your input. It's always comforting to know that a problem's not unique.
John

#51837 - 01/13/03 05:36 PM Re: Health warning of the SD-card
jm_bogey Offline

Loc: Montreal,QC, Canada
I don't have the KN7000 but I'm sure they will correct this problem by upgrading the O/S. Don't forgot the KN6000 as about 7 version of upgrade and the KN5000, 10 !!!

#51838 - 01/16/03 07:15 AM Re: Health warning of the SD-card
ogre Offline

Hey Willum,
Sorry for late reply - but in answer to your question, yes I do!
Thing is, my main interest lies in jazz/swing/bossa nova and of the many hundreds of styles downloaded over the years the bulk have been discarded either cos they don't fall into that category (8 beats especially) or those that call themselves jazz etc are bland to boring - notably Yamaha. I had a PSR8000 for just under a year and for me there was only one decent style in the thing and the back up style disks from Yahama were no better, for instance too many had the same bass line and drums in each variation and I came to the conclusion that the stylist designers were either too lazy or just incabable of doing any better.
No doubt in my mind that the best stylists come from Korg and Technics, so my collection of floppies comes down to about 20. So anyone like to buy the SD gubbins in my 7000?

Ogre

#51839 - 01/16/03 03:30 PM Re: Health warning of the SD-card
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Ogre,

I think old gramps might just take the bait. How Much?

Grandpa Doug

#51840 - 01/16/03 03:46 PM Re: Health warning of the SD-card
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ogre,
I am sure grandpa Doug would be looking for a senior discount. Us old folks need all the help we can get. Specialy with the allowance Doug gets from Ruthie.

Fran in Florida

#51841 - 01/17/03 06:45 AM Re: Health warning of the SD-card
ogre Offline

Oh Fran your'e bringing tears to my eyes. Poor old Gramps. But at my age (74and three quarters) I need as much as I can get so I think I'd best withdraw my offer. Who knows, I may one day get around to reading the manual and start using the thing.

Peter

#51842 - 01/17/03 08:36 AM Re: Health warning of the SD-card
Bill Norrie Offline

Peter, I really think it would be worthwhile for you to spend a little time getting to know the basic operation of your SD card and transfer your floppies to a card. Loading time is SO MUCH improved over the floppy disc.
Trust Me - I'm an old codger like you
However, I suppose it really depends on how often you actually use the styles you have on floppy, as opposed to the KN7000 built-in styles.

------------------
Willum

Aldous Huxley

#51843 - 01/17/03 10:06 AM Re: Health warning of the SD-card
ogre Offline

Willum,
You've convinced me. After re-reading your paper, the manual will be dusted off and diligently perused!

Peter

#51844 - 01/17/03 10:53 AM Re: Health warning of the SD-card
Anonymous
Unregistered

Peter,

If you have not visited Cees Web page, you should. He has a very good tutoral on organizing the SD.
Once you set up a system, you will never want to return to floppies. Much faster and everything is ready to load in seconds.

Fran in Florida

#51845 - 01/17/03 11:28 AM Re: Health warning of the SD-card
Bill Norrie Offline

------------------
Willum

Aldous Huxley

#51846 - 01/19/03 03:04 AM Re: Health warning of the SD-card
ogre Offline

Hi Fran,
Thanks for the info but can you tell me the web address of Cee's site? I tried www. cee.com but this is related to cleaning up the environment

Ogre

#51847 - 01/19/03 03:11 AM Re: Health warning of the SD-card
ogre Offline

Fran,

cancel that last one. I've found it. Must really learn to use the grey cells,
and open another tin of sardins. shocked.

Ogre

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online