SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#5145 - 12/07/02 08:24 AM Roland jv1080-2080 or Korgi40m
neark_steve Offline

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum but have enjoyed browsing the topics. You guys do a great job. I am looking to buy either a korg i40m or roland jv1080 2080 series. Which of these have the best sounds. I use mainly pianos,strings,drums,bass,violins,sax and some pedal steel guitar in my sequences. I do some live stuff (guitar) and am putting together a home studio for recording.Your help would be appreciated.

#5146 - 12/09/02 10:55 AM Re: Roland jv1080-2080 or Korgi40m
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Both Korg & Roland produce very good voices depending on your personal likes, but you have picked two very different instruments. The Korg i40m is a modal contains voices and Styles backing arrangements. The JV1080 is purely sampled voices.
Intrestingly if you bought both of them they would compliment each other very well.

Graham UK

[This message has been edited by Graham UK (edited 12-09-2002).]

#5147 - 12/11/02 09:21 PM Re: Roland jv1080-2080 or Korgi40m
neark_steve Offline

Thanks Graham
I understand. I should have been more specific. I was talking about the quality of the sounds. I have an is35 which is the same sound set as the i40m. i have never heard the sounds from an jv1080 or 2080 with an expansion card. I have heard the xp80 and was dissapointed when compared with the Korg. I wanted to possibly add a card such as the country and probably the bass and drums. I play lead guitar with a local country gospel group and we use some backing tracks on a few songs. I also have an Roland MC80 without the card to drive the JV if I go that direction. I could carry the extra keyboard around but that is getting old. We play at some pretty small country churches and space is a premium. Sorry to be so long winded. Thanks for your input and I hope that helps clarify. I have a chance to buy an I40m but the price is a little steep compared to what I could get a JV1080 for.
Thans again

#5148 - 12/30/02 12:13 AM Re: Roland jv1080-2080 or Korgi40m
keyskitten Offline

Loc: Dickinson, Texas, USA
If you have listened to any XP roland keyboard and don't like the sounds, don't get the JV module. They are the "same" sounds (pretty much, patch lists sometimes are different but the base "raw" waveforms are the same in the XP keyboards and JV modules.)

You sound like a true "korg fanatic" so I would stick to what you like.

Personally I love the Roland sounds, recently bought a XV-5050 module (the XV voices contain all the JV's PLUS new patches and all kind of extra effects, over 90 of them, and software to edit and create your own patches.)

I studied the Korg Triton Rack and Korg Karma before making this Roland module purchase, and I much prefer the Roland sounds, so really, it is a matter of personal taste.

I think the Korg sounds are much more for "today's" music (dance, trance, hip hop)where as the Roland sounds are more for classical, and old time pop and rock and roll. Exactly why I shyed away from Korg, I am an oldie but a goodie!

hope that helps,

Cathy

#5149 - 12/30/02 04:57 PM Re: Roland jv1080-2080 or Korgi40m
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
Hey hey.......I have an i40M and use it with a Yamaha cs2X as controller. The Yamaha XG sounds and the Korg sounds really compliment each other. Why not keep your is35 and compliment those great Korg voices by adding them to that jv1080? Good luck.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online