Track 9 Drum 2 = (Midi ch9 )
Track 10 Drum 1 = (Midi ch10 )
Track 11 Bass etc
Track 12 Accomp 1
Track 13 Accomp 2
Track 14 Accomp 3
Track 15 Accomp 4
Track 16 Accomp 5

The only reason I set it to them to these channels is that it matches the yamaha psr format ie they use these channels for their accomp. style parts.

Just saves me having to think about it, it's become habit.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#51393 - 11/19/03 01:42 PM Re: PR604
AnthonyCian Offline

Loc: Arizona, USA
Alec:

When recording a song using APC, panel memories, and save as Technics. One has everything there. To convert "THAT SONG" in midi, the person would need to go to APC/SMF convert. It does a wonderful job in coverting the APC part into midi tracks. BUT WHAT ABOUT THE R1/R2/LEFT if different instruments were used using panel memory? Ignored, and "extra work" is needed to add the melody parts exactly the way it was originaly when it was in Technics format.

If APC/SMF convert included converting the R1/R2/Left then NO extra work is needed, it's done, finished... ALL done in one process. But that isn't the case.

Anthony

#51394 - 11/19/03 02:20 PM Re: PR604
technicsplayer Offline

That is not how I would go about making a midi file in the first place, but even if I did, I could edit it to suit in a matter of seconds and would need no third party applications. Knowing the fundamental differences between standard midi files and technics easy play files before you start is a help.

#51395 - 11/19/03 03:34 PM Re: PR604
AnthonyCian Offline

Hellooo Alec:

I believe what your saying is, if you know ahead of time that you want to create a midi then you would go about it in a different way. That is, think midi, correct? If so, that would be to difficult for me. Like to use easy record, panel memories etc...

Since you mentioned you could take a technics format song and edit it seconds to a midi. How? Remember Panel memories were used.

Anthony

#51396 - 11/19/03 05:55 PM Re: PR604
technicsplayer Offline

exactly how I described before, in step record.

#51397 - 11/19/03 06:19 PM Re: PR604
AnthonyCian Offline

That may take you a few seconds, but for me a few hours. I don't have your expertise. Either way, another step in the process of converting to midi has to be done. If not, it wouldn't be complete. Which brings us back to, "extra work". Maybe I should re-phrase that. How does "Extra Step" sound?

Step 1: Choose a song, trying it out with different rhythm patterns, getting the feel of the sound arrangement.
Step 2: Setting up the song with with panel memory settings, etc.
Step 3: Finalize settings, practice.
Step 4: Take the plunge and record.
Step 5: Save in Technics Format.
Step 6: Edit if necessary. Resave if needed. Done! (Hopefully)

Step 7: Like to have midi.
Step 8: Use Track assign for drums.
Step 9: Use APC to SMF convert.
Step 10: Merge two drum tracks into one, (Track 10)
Step 11: Save as midi.

*At this stage would like to have the midi fully done, but not complete yet.

Extra Step 12: Step Record R1, R2, Left accordingly. In my case quite a chore.

Step 13: Re-save as midi. Done!

Anthony

[This message has been edited by AnthonyCian (edited 11-19-2003).]

#51398 - 11/20/03 02:09 AM Re: PR604
technicsplayer Offline

a recipe for an average sounding midi, particularly on ordinary soundcards. Use gm voices in the backing, apc convert if having used the automatics. This gives a maximum of 9 tracks if all parts have been used which is not necessarily the case. Then real time record the melody/harmony with gm voices. I don't know of many midis that have 6 voice changes in the melody, but if that is what you want I would punch them in on different tracks, or just copy and paste verse/chorus etc. The midi then at least sounds as if it has been played with the feel of the instruments, rather than the sterile conversion of the playing feel of one rich voice changed to a different feel of a thinner one.

#51399 - 11/20/03 02:10 AM Re: PR604
Leo's Den Offline

Wow! I think I got a bit lost with all that MIDI detail, but it will be very useful in the future. Now I understand a bit more about the instrument side (I think). But my immediate problem is the computer interface. There was an article on this in the Techplus magazine of October 2002 on making an audio CD recording. It is fairly straightforward in some ways, but ends with the cryptic message: "the process with ... PR604 pianos is actually far less complicated still, but that is a story for another day." What I actually want for an outcome from the PR604 is a wav file that I can convert to MP3 eventually via Nero (or an MP3plus file that is in the correct format: stereo (or dual mono), 80 bit, 44.1 kHz) so that it will be of good quality and compatible with my other music files so that I can cut, paste and edit it in Nero wave editor to use as a soundtrack. The computer software that came with the PR604 exceeds expectations in terms of lack of documentary explanation or support.
So, putting together what you have all said so far, I need to hook up the computer with a USB cable. No problem. Then what?
Leo.

#51400 - 11/20/03 05:59 AM Re: PR604
technicsplayer Offline

everything in the Oct 02 article is still valid, just at that time there weren't so many 7000 etc owners so the soundcard route was more applicable to the majority of readers. Maybe it's time I wrote another for 7000/2400/2600/804/604/54 with usb?

To use the usb install the drivers from the cd before connecting the piano to the pc. It is most important to follow the steps in the instructions exactly, particularly the supplemental instructions if using XP.

Then install the Audio Recorder and the audio output will appear at full cd quality down the usb ready to record. If you have Nero you might have the Nero Wave Editor which you can also use, just choose the panasonic usb input in the device settings. The advantage of this is you can normalise or otherwise tweak the recording before burning to cd. Nero should also have the required mp3 codecs so that helps too.

#51401 - 11/20/03 12:48 PM Re: PR604
shcox Offline

Loc: Leesburg, FL USA
OK Here I go!

First I assume that Track = Channel which are really different things. In midi drums can be on any track or number of tracks as long as they use midi channel 10.

Second on the PR54 when converting APC the melody for Right1, Right2 and the Left hand are preset to Tracks 1,2,3 and are labeled as such. If I do not change them the melody comes out fine minus the patch changes if I used Panel Memory to make the changes.

Tracks 5,6,7 can not be changed.

Track 8 is labeled Drums but can be set to any of the choices below.

Tracks 4,9-16 I can set to Drums1,Drums2,Bass, Accp1 - 5.

In the past I did the conversion then loaded the song into PowerTracks and set the drum tracks to channel to 10 and set my own channels for the other tracks. Then went to tracks 1 and 2 and inserted patch changes at the proper time marks.

Now to record a wave file so it can be converted to MP3 if you don't have the USB port and the Technics Recorder, you can buy a stereo patch cord that goes from one 1/4 inch stereo male plug to one stereo 1/8 inch male plug. Plug the 1/4 inch into your headphone jack and the 1/8 inch into your sound card line in.

Record your song using your favorite computer wave recorder. Don't bother with the midi because then the sound you record will be based on the sound card's instruments sounds.

Recording this way you record the actual sounds from the keyboard which are better than 95% of the sound cards you can buy.

Best Wishes
Heather

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online