SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#51079 - 09/30/02 01:53 PM Re: JukeBox Installation
technicsplayer Offline

the idea of xp being secure is a joke, I'm afraid. It is wide open to attack in ways that previous windows have never been.

#51080 - 07/18/03 08:21 PM Re: JukeBox Installation
music8 Offline

I need the SD-Jukebox software! Can anybody help me? my email is : 5soft@163.com

#51081 - 07/19/03 01:11 AM Re: JukeBox Installation
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
Considering this thread has been resurrected from September 2002 I was just wondering how you guys are coping with XP now.
Mine has run with no problems since I first installed the programme ( A clean install ).

It would appear that most problems seem to arise from an upgrade only.

#51082 - 07/19/03 07:22 AM Re: JukeBox Installation
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
RE: Windows XP
When I bought my last computer, it came with XP installed (Dell). This was only a month after XP was released. I could see some things that I really liked, but it was unstable and would not run many of my old (and very expensive) programs in spite of MS compatibility claims.
After fighting with it for a couple of months, I went back to a clean install of Win 98SE. The real problem here was finding Win98 drivers that would work with the new hardware (Win 98 was not supported for this computer by Dell). I finally got it all working and used Win98 for about a year.

Finally Microsoft came out with XP service pack #1 and I took a gamble and reinstalled XP (tremendous amount of time and work).
It has worked WITHOUT A HITCH and WITHOUT A CRASH ever since.
If you are having problems with XP, make sure you have Service Pack #1 installed.
And very important, don't ever use an upgrade, always a clean FULL install of any operating system.
Just a hint,
Walt

#51083 - 07/19/03 02:33 PM Re: JukeBox Installation
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I have been using Windows XP since it arrive installed on my Dell computer in March 2002 I have always updated, including the big one, Service Pack 1. I have never had a problem.

Sure, in the begining some of your old hardware may not have been compatible with XP, but most major brands provided updated drivers, and was not really a problem

I remember the days of Win '98, and would never, ever, think of going back. Windows XP may be the best product Microsoft has ever developed. Like everything else though, you have to keep it maintained and updated.

I have not heard of one person who had a major problem with Windows XP that was installed bt a major computer manufacturer. So maybe the problem is not with Windows XP, rather a bad install. Get a pro to install it, or buy a new computer that has Windows XP already installed. Maybe it's time for a new one if your still using 98. It is my understanding that Microsoft, does not offer support anymore for Windows 98. Get rid of it ...It's 2003 ya know ?

IMHO,
Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#51084 - 07/19/03 03:53 PM Re: JukeBox Installation
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Larry,
>>You wrote: "I have not heard of one person who had a major problem with Windows XP that was installed by a major computer manufacturer."
Larry, you just heard one in my previous post!
By March of 2002, when you got your computer, MS had already changed the OEM version of XP that was supplied to the computer manufacturers. My original install by Dell was in October 2001 and was the pits.
Also, you and I are perhaps talking about different classes of software. The run of the mill Word Processing, Spreadsheet, and other software of that type worked fine.
Pagemaker, Autocad, and others of that class, and most of the special software that I used, did not. It was quite a while before both Microsoft and the high powered 3rd party software designers got their acts together.
Now every thing is fine.
Regards,
Walt

#51085 - 07/19/03 09:00 PM Re: JukeBox Installation
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I stand corrected. I did not know Windows XP came pre installed on Dell that early.
I thought at that time, XP was an option and then afterwards, there was no option with Dell..it was XP. It was at the "no option" time, that I was referring to.

I guess a lesson with Microsoft, would be to wait and let others be the testers.

Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online