Mellotron
Crumar
Rhodes Suitcase
Roland FA-08
Farfisa
Porta B and 822

Anyone?

Edited by zuki (03/01/24 12:55 PM)

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#509654 - 03/01/24 05:11 PM Re: Gear I regret selling [Re: zuki]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Everything pre-1980!

I’ve got a roomful of things I regret not selling! 😂

#509655 - 03/01/24 05:15 PM Re: Gear I regret selling [Re: zuki]
rphillipchuk Online   content

Loc: Ontario Canada
Korg MI

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#509656 - 03/02/24 04:58 AM Re: Gear I regret selling [Re: zuki]
Dnj Offline

I'd rather hear WHY you got rid of them all?

#509657 - 03/02/24 05:41 AM Re: Gear I regret selling [Re: zuki]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I'm sort of like Diki. The gear I have that I haven't touched in years would fill a small museum. Donny used to say that I was a 'hoarder'. I can't say that he was entirely wrong. I wouldn't be sad if I had a catastrophic house fire and I could just collect the insurance instead of going through the pain of having to sell it all smile smile smile (kidding, of course).

Gear I'll keep forever... Crumar SEVEN and some kind of organ clone.

chas

#509659 - 03/02/24 08:26 AM Re: Gear I regret selling [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

I've had almost everything regarding keyboards, speakers, synths, etc, & many other pieces of gear & have many good memories using them, learning from them, making music with them, but when their uses are done I simply sell them off and move on to the next. Hoarding is NOT in my vocabulary I'd rather sell or many times I have even given away gear to people who appreciate it knowing it's going to a new home where another fellow musician can enjoy too...
that makes me happy. cool2

#509664 - 03/02/24 08:18 PM Re: Gear I regret selling [Re: zuki]
Diki Offline

It’s the time scale of things that brings about regret… and the insane value that some antique analog gear has gained lately..!

Music tastes change quite rapidly. A few years ago you couldn’t give away a used DX7. Now FM is the new ‘flavor of the month’, they’re adding it back to workstations and even arrangers and now all those DX7’s and TX modules are a cause for regret (if we found someone to buy them for pennies on the dollar instead of letting them rot in a case in the attic!).

A few years ago, most of us were swearing up and down a 61 note arranger was all we needed. Now we’re playing 76’s and even 88’s. Tastes change. Gear changes. We change. Quite honestly, most of my gear regrets are made moot by the fact that there are incredible software and even hardware emulations of them (and even the gear we lusted after but couldn’t afford!) that are far more affordable than the originals ever were, are MUCH lighter and more capable (an 8 voice polyphonic Minimoog? Yes please!) and don’t suffer from some of those analog drawbacks.

The only really irreplaceable thing, imho, are the keybeds. I miss the touch of a real Clavinet, the feel of a real B3, the weight of a Rhodes. The high quality of 80’s keybeds (even quite downmarket synths had better actions than most of today’s synths). Can’t get around that with emulations!

But the rest of it? No, I’m pretty good with modern stuff. I got my old Minimoog, my old CS60, my ARP Odyssey, my Rhodes, B3, Clavinet, all in software. For a fraction of what I paid back in the day. With all their idiosyncrasies modeled quite well. I just miss the actions…

#509665 - 03/02/24 08:22 PM Re: Gear I regret selling [Re: zuki]
Diki Offline

@Rphillipchuk

Have you seen this? https://korg.shop/korg-collection-m1.html?___store=english

$100 and you got your M1 back!

#509669 - 03/03/24 08:49 AM Re: Gear I regret selling [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
I've had almost everything regarding keyboards, speakers, synths, etc, & many other pieces of gear & have many good memories using them, learning from them, making music with them, but when their uses are done I simply sell them off and move on to the next. Hoarding is NOT in my vocabulary I'd rather sell or many times I have even given away gear to people who appreciate it knowing it's going to a new home where another fellow musician can enjoy too...
that makes me happy. cool2

A very noble sentiment, and I must admit that I too have often considered donating a lot of no-longer-used stuff to struggling music schools in low-income areas of the city, or even Public schools in poor and underserved districts (there are plenty of them). There are two reasons that I have not: 1. Laziness', and 2. I am fortunate enough to have the space to store them. If you're as lazy as I am, it's just easier to put them on a shelf in a storeroom than go through the hassle of selling or even donating them. Shameful but just being honest. I don't think that is 'hoarding' in the true sense of the word, but in any case, it's just MY business so - moot point. As SOME measure of redemption, I do offer most of my unused stuff to my musician grandson who usually refuses it, plus, my son discourages it (he probably just doesn't want all that junk at HIS house smile smile.

Overall, I think some people are much too quick to judge what other people do, especially in areas that don't concern them. Everyone's situation is different so it's hugely arrogant to think that they have the "answer" for everyone else. Thank goodness we live in America where we're free to think (and act) for ourselves (well at least until maybe next election).

chas

#509670 - 03/03/24 09:55 AM Re: Gear I regret selling [Re: Diki]
rphillipchuk Online   content

Loc: Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By Diki
@Rphillipchuk

I just loved the sleek look of the M1 and obviously the sounds !

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#509672 - 03/03/24 03:39 PM Re: Gear I regret selling [Re: rphillipchuk]
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
Greetings,

I still have a TX81z from 1987. 10 years ago I sold it twice on eBay and both buyers never responded to their winning auction. Technically I did sell it......twice!! Does that count?? I considered that an omen and I was destined to keep that module............Now I'm curious if it still works.............. grin -charley

#509678 - 03/03/24 05:26 PM Re: Gear I regret selling [Re: rattley]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By rattley
Greetings,

I still have a TX81z from 1987. 10 years ago I sold it twice on eBay and both buyers never responded to their winning auction. Technically I did sell it......twice!! Does that count?? I considered that an omen and I was destined to keep that module............Now I'm curious if it still works.............. grin -charley

Ha...just reminded me; I've got the full rack (TX816 I think - anyway, it's 8 DX7 modules in a rack). Like you, I have no idea if they still work as they haven't been touched in @ 30 years (although they have travelled from Philly to Hawaii to Florida to Georgia, as has all of my vintage gear. It costed me @ $22,000 to move my 'belongings' to Hawaii and @ $19,000 to move back (to Florida). Talk about wasting money. A quick search on Google showed that they're worth a nice penney right now. Maybe I'll try to get my grandson to pack it up and sell it for half of whatever we can get for it. But first, I'll have to see if it still works. If it doesn't, then it's landfill bound smile smile.

chas

#509681 - 03/04/24 10:12 AM Re: Gear I regret selling [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I sold 118 string instruments on Reverb in the last 20 months. Also moved about 60 cabinets, amps, keyboards, etc. Money was donated to a homeless musician fund.

That leaves me with 51 string instruments, about 20 amplifiers, two 122's, three different PA heads, about 20 keyboards and a room full of mics, pedals, etc.

Funny thing: knowing where the proceeds are going negated all of the sad feelings I had when I sold or gave away instruments previously.

While they are not ever going to be worth much, I really like most of the "beaters" , I call them. George Benson Ibanez guitars are inexpensive, play GREAT and, if I get one damaged at an outdoor Horse-farm gig (I do a lot of those),I don't suffer too much.

YA GOTTA LOVE THE TOYS!

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (03/04/24 10:13 AM)

#509695 - 03/10/24 11:27 PM Re: Gear I regret selling [Re: Diki]
vangelis Offline

Loc: FLORIDA
Originally Posted By Diki
@Rphillipchuk

Not really, you can't load your own M1 set so not good for me, although I regret most of the old stuff that I sold the one that really made me feel bad was the Jupiter 6 with thru midi.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online