SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#509487 - 01/16/24 11:05 AM New approasch to live arranger use....
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Recently, I took a bunch of jobs that require a lot of upscale music and fusion jazz tunes. I LOVE IT!

On week-ends, I use Logan on bass and my grandson, Del on drums. I play
Jazz guitar, nylon string and an SKI Hammond.

During the week, I use an old (but never played before)Roland GW-7 on the bottom and the SK-1 on top. That let's me soften up the rhythmic, machine-like bass lines, with left-handed bass. I do bass/piano intros and exits, and some 100% left-handed bass. The mechanics of the left hand on the SK-1 are just like a B-3...something I miss all the time...until now.

Sometimes, I do a manual intro and then kick on the drums and bass, eliminating the auto accompaniment.

Just into my third week, but I am liking it, even though I bought the Roland from George Kay over 20 years ago.

Of course, I'd much rather play with "my boys" all the time, but the budget doesn't allow that.

Next week, we're going to experiment with Del on a rack of percussion instruments to sweeten the drum track on the GW-7.

WHAT FUN!

Russ (proud grandpa/dad) Lay

#509491 - 01/17/24 01:38 AM Re: New approasch to live arranger use.... [Re: captain Russ]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Russ
I have had the SK1 for a while, but never downloaded the " Extra Voices" that was included on a USB stick because I have so many other sources. When using it alone, maybe they are passable. What is your opinion?

#509494 - 01/17/24 10:52 AM Re: New approasch to live arranger use.... [Re: Bernie9]
captain Russ Offline

Bernie, the extra voices are not impressive at all. I use the unit for organ sound and left hand bass. A few voices on the GW-7 are passable, and I use either a Roland or Yamaha piano on my right hand at 90 degrees for everything else.

Just refin9ng the approach, but the idea of mixing the flexibility of left hand bass with some arranger functions has possibilities, I think.

GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU!

Russ

#509496 - 01/17/24 12:40 PM Re: New approasch to live arranger use.... [Re: captain Russ]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Thanks Russ,
I feel having mediocre sounds share the spotlight with a B3 is almost sacrilegios. I am going to use my Korg piano instead.

Bernie

#509497 - 01/18/24 01:04 PM Re: New approasch to live arranger use.... [Re: captain Russ]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think the GW-7 precedes Roland’s Pianist2 chord recognition feature, but if you haven’t tried it, Russ (I think it first appeared on the BK series) it’s definitely worth checking out for providing very good basslines from ‘normal’ standard piano playing technique.

It works by needing three simultaneous notes before a new chord with the sustain up, but needs FIVE simultaneous notes before it changes to a new chord while you’re sustaining. This simple change makes all the difference to a pianist, and I found I could play fairly freely on piano without anywhere near the amount of chord glitching compared to the old system (which afaik is the basic Pianist recognition on most other brands, too).

The combination of Pianist2 chord recognition and the Dynamic Arranger system (user controlled velocity sensitivity of the accompaniment Parts) got me as close as any arranger has to feeling that the backing is actually ‘listening’ to me! Unfortunately, the only Roland that had both (afaik) was the difficult to find BK9.

But even just Pianist2 mode changes the game if you want to try playing pianistically but still have an auto bass (and other Parts!) follow you without freaking out… 🎹😎

#509498 - 01/19/24 11:13 AM Re: New approasch to live arranger use.... [Re: Diki]
captain Russ Offline

I bought the GW-7 from George Kaye over 20 years ago, and it sat in a box
until about a month and a half ago. I'm just using the drums and bass, with everything else turned off.

I have about 15 jobs under my belt, and am relying on the left-hand on the SK-1 for intros and endings.

I also have an unused Solton SD-5 I will try in a week or two.

Basically, I still don't really like arrangers and would rather play in a trio.

The alternative to that is to use left-handed bass on 1/2 of the tunes and left-handed bass intros and endings on the rest.

So far, things aren't perfect, but better (for my taste) than just arranger play.

Just glad someone wants to pay me for something so much a part of my life.

Be well,

Russ

#509499 - 01/20/24 11:14 AM Re: New approasch to live arranger use.... [Re: captain Russ]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
That’s also the way I prefer to have something accompanying me when I want to play straight ahead piano… just a bass and drums, occasionally add in a jazz guitar comp. I completely agree, just because an arranger can give you six accompaniment parts don’t mean you have to use them all! 😂🎹😎

#509564 - 02/07/24 03:52 PM Re: New approasch to live arranger use.... [Re: captain Russ]
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Wow Russ,
I can't believe it's been 20 years since I sold you the GW7. It's been a couple of years since I retired and I still enjoy seeing posts from my friends of many years here on the synthzone.
(Retired 2021)

#509576 - 02/14/24 08:49 AM Re: New approasch to live arranger use.... [Re: captain Russ]
zuki Offline

Russ, thought you were slowing down? Not a chance. Hope all is well. Jim

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#509578 - 02/14/24 10:57 AM Re: New approasch to live arranger use.... [Re: zuki]
captain Russ Offline

Jim, I'm producing about 25 original scores for my clients (we also do graphics, packaging, research point OF sale, audio, etc.) We manage all elements of internal/external communication and all the collateral material involved.

I also write, produce and arrange film scores (about 20 a year) for several large Fortune 500 companies. These take about 30 hours each and are done in Louisville, so there's of driving involved.

What I stopped was 6 nights a week in a country club or restaurant. I found out that I REALLY missed playing with other musicians. I used to play these gigs to meet girls and drink. Then, I realized that the kind of clients I needed went to these upscale places.

Now, I'm no longer looking for new business and have, for the very first time, decided to play for myself. Doing it with my son and grandson is GREAT!

Man, has music been good to me!

Meeting people like you is a REAL BONUS!

Be well, Jim,

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (02/14/24 10:57 AM)

#509579 - 02/14/24 11:08 AM Re: New approasch to live arranger use.... [Re: captain Russ]
captain Russ Offline

George, I am also still the owner of a Casio 88 key piano, a Roland Sh-201, a Godin A-6 and a Godin New Yorker, one of my favorite jazz instruments and, of course, the GW-7.

Sadly, guys like you and my friend Carl, from Carl's Music Center in Lexington are getting harder to locate.

I really don't like ordering wooden instruments on line.

Always appreciated your help, good pricing and advice.

So good to hear from you.

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (02/14/24 11:10 AM)

#509586 - 02/15/24 04:22 PM Re: New approasch to live arranger use.... [Re: captain Russ]
zuki Offline

Slowing down is not in your cards! I can hardly make it from the bed to the lazyboy in the morning. Takes me 1 hour to get going. Yes, music is sure a bonus in one's life. Not many have this great privilege to play an instrument. Thx for the kind words, you are great to many.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#509629 - 02/23/24 10:48 AM Re: New approasch to live arranger use.... [Re: captain Russ]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Hiya, Russ! Keep at it youngun!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online