SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#509081 - 10/25/23 07:49 AM Finally got the Roland BK9
DannyUK Offline

Hello All, I hope you'are all doing well smile

It's taken me ages but I've finally managed to acquire the BK9 and it's a fantastic keyboard indeed and much prefer it to the EA7 I already have.

All those posts of the past from the likes of Fran (not sure if he's around here anymore), and of course Diki, praising the great sounds and styles of Roland and how favourably they stack up against the likes of Korg, Yamaha and even Ketron, I can see why people would say that.

The EA7 was my first and only experience of Roland and I although it's very good as well, the BK9 is a different and more pleasant Roland experience I think. I don't understand why the BK9 didn't do so well, apart from the obvious cosmetic exclusions such as touch screen, it still sounds fantastic.

The BK9 has made me even more curious about previous Roland keyboards such as the G70 and E80, but since they do not have USB or even SD I would be reluctant to use them.

I do have a quick question. On the BK9, is there a way to save registrations like you can on the EA7? I can't seem to find how to do it.

All the best,
Danny

#509085 - 10/26/23 10:26 PM Re: Finally got the Roland BK9 [Re: DannyUK]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Great Purchase Congrats! They are extremely rare!!

I absolutely love my BK9 (and G70).

The BK9 is probably one of the most underrated keyboards out there.
It has an incredible sound quality overall with amazing capability and functionality... However my experience is that it is let down by poor navigation and controls - It is not the ideal keyboard to be tweaking and making changes on the fly...

In terms of setting up registrations - its very easy to do in the Performance List section. It make take you a few attempts at getting your head around it. Sadly the Scroll wheel is about to become your best friend smile There is a BK9 performance editor app which you can use on your Ipad (requires USB connection) and allows you to have a full touch screen graphical interface to manage and edit your performances on the BK9 which is an awesome aid for the BK9...

regarding the G70 and USB - Since it takes a compact flash card for memory storage, you can just buy a (very cheap) card and USB reader off ebay to get going. It has never ben an issue for me.

Best of luck!
Nick

#509106 - 10/30/23 01:51 PM Re: Finally got the Roland BK9 [Re: DannyUK]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I went from the G70 to the BK9… and at first, yes it WAS a bit of a shock to go from a huge responsive color touch screen and tons of buttons to the minimalist BK9. Editing was a LOT slower using that scroll wheel, but the iPad app made all the difference (although there’s still a lot that only navigating the keyboard itself will be allowed).

Great frustration at the start, then gradual realization that, with a Performance List of 999 entries (G70 series only 128 UPG’s) it was easiest to prepare a Performance for each section of a song, and reduce the faffing around with the screen and buttons, live. I can get my entire song list in one Performance List with multiple sections (I generally gig with about 400 songs ready to go).

Once I embraced the change in workflow, I found that playing live became a joy again, not having to do anything other than switch to the next Performance (easy to move them around in the List to organize them any way you wanted!). You can even do Performance up/down with a pair of switches into the FC7 input…

Congratulations on finding a good BK9… they are pretty rare..!

#509129 - 11/04/23 03:13 AM Re: Finally got the Roland BK9 [Re: Nick G]
DannyUK Offline

Originally Posted By Nick G
Great Purchase Congrats! They are extremely rare!!

I absolutely love my BK9 (and G70).

The BK9 is probably one of the most underrated keyboards out there.
It has an incredible sound quality overall with amazing capability and functionality... However my experience is that it is let down by poor navigation and controls - It is not the ideal keyboard to be tweaking and making changes on the fly...

In terms of setting up registrations - its very easy to do in the Performance List section. It make take you a few attempts at getting your head around it. Sadly the Scroll wheel is about to become your best friend smile There is a BK9 performance editor app which you can use on your Ipad (requires USB connection) and allows you to have a full touch screen graphical interface to manage and edit your performances on the BK9 which is an awesome aid for the BK9...

regarding the G70 and USB - Since it takes a compact flash card for memory storage, you can just buy a (very cheap) card and USB reader off ebay to get going. It has never ben an issue for me.

Best of luck!
Nick

Hi Nick,

Thank you for your reply. Yes I figured out how to use Performance List and now find it second nature, very nice indeed and I like it better than the EA7's version of UPG lists because on the EA7 it has banks of 1-1, 1-2 up until 1-9, then it goes into a second bank as 2-0, 2-1 etc etc and I don't like that, I want it in a complete list 1-999 which the BK9 does superbly.

I am aware of the iPad application and I need to get the correct cables first for the iPad before I can use it, but I have seen it in action already.

I don't think I will pursue a G70 (or E80) any longer, I actually have a second BK9, also in immaculate condition which will be more than enough!

Take Care,
Danny

#509130 - 11/04/23 03:24 AM Re: Finally got the Roland BK9 [Re: Diki]
DannyUK Offline

Originally Posted By Diki
I went from the G70 to the BK9… and at first, yes it WAS a bit of a shock to go from a huge responsive color touch screen and tons of buttons to the minimalist BK9. Editing was a LOT slower using that scroll wheel, but the iPad app made all the difference (although there’s still a lot that only navigating the keyboard itself will be allowed).

Great frustration at the start, then gradual realization that, with a Performance List of 999 entries (G70 series only 128 UPG’s) it was easiest to prepare a Performance for each section of a song, and reduce the faffing around with the screen and buttons, live. I can get my entire song list in one Performance List with multiple sections (I generally gig with about 400 songs ready to go).

Once I embraced the change in workflow, I found that playing live became a joy again, not having to do anything other than switch to the next Performance (easy to move them around in the List to organize them any way you wanted!). You can even do Performance up/down with a pair of switches into the FC7 input…

Congratulations on finding a good BK9… they are pretty rare..!

Hi Diki,

Appreciate your reply thank you smile. I actually have two BK9's!! A bit of a long story on how I got them (one was by mistake) but turned out to be a great move anyway as they are both in pristine condition, and as you say, very rare! You wait so long to try and find one, then a couple turn up!! Like waiting for a bus!!

So far I am really enjoying this keyboard, it is like owning something brand new because as mentioned before I've not experienced any Roland arrangers in the past when they were in the mix with the others and so it does feel like something fresh. It really does compliment my Pa5x and Event very well indeed, does not feel out of place at all. It has relegated my Genos/SX900 event further away!

I do agree regarding the clunky OP system though, I've noticed it most when after creating a performance and saving it into the list, using the 1-9 buttons to select the lettering, I know it's similar on the EA7 but I can't help but think that it didn't need to be like this! Other than that, I can't really fault it. I've been on it almost every day since I bought it (them!!).

One thing I am having some problems with is re-voicing some of the midi files using makeup tools. If it's a midi file that was made specifically for another brand, say GEM or Yamaha, it won't allow me to change it. I presume I'd need to use the sequencer for that? I've not tried it yet.

#509137 - 11/04/23 08:44 AM Re: Finally got the Roland BK9 [Re: DannyUK]
Diki Offline

If working on Yamaha files or any other non-responsive files not Roland specific, I’d put it into a sequencer and delete ALL sysex. It will be Yamaha specific and may very well stop the file playing.

Get really familiar with Makeup Tool’s drum editing section. You can do miracles with this!

#509167 - 11/11/23 10:48 AM Re: Finally got the Roland BK9 [Re: DannyUK]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Glad to see another musician discovering the overlooked BK9. It does all I want or need for live performance. I avoid the wheel by using the OTS which were at first hard to program but now very easy.IT sounds great too with my edited SMF's.
I also have two and two BK7m's so you can tell I'm a Roland BK guy for a long time.

Good luck with your new board.

#509171 - 11/12/23 02:48 PM Re: Finally got the Roland BK9 [Re: DannyUK]
Diki Offline

One easily overlooked BK9 feature is the 3 MFX inserts for the song or style. They can be quite transformative! A phaser on a style Rhodes Part, a cranked up amp sim on a rock rhythm Part (change the sampled distortion guitar sound to a clean one, it will be massively more realistic as the distortion changes from chord to chord).

It may not have as many MFX as the new SX900 or a Genos, but compared to any previous gen arranger, that’s more effects for the style or sequence than even a TOTL PA4X or Tyros4!

No more having to use different sounds in styles and sequences than the Keyboard sounds, because the MFX is such an integral part of the sound.

Well worth the editing time… 🎹😎

#509198 - 11/16/23 04:20 AM Re: Finally got the Roland BK9 [Re: Bill Lewis]
DannyUK Offline

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
Glad to see another musician discovering the overlooked BK9. It does all I want or need for live performance. I avoid the wheel by using the OTS which were at first hard to program but now very easy.IT sounds great too with my edited SMF's.
I also have two and two BK7m's so you can tell I'm a Roland BK guy for a long time.

Good luck with your new board.

Hi Bill,

Thank you very much for your reply. The BK9 is fabulous and I can't stop playing on it, almost daily (when my job allows!). I wished I had owned it sooner than now but I'm just glad I have it anyway. It's really refreshing and the styles are killer, especially the Live Band stuff, it sounds so realistic and does not sound out of place against the Pa5x or Event using similar styles. But every category has a lot of great styles, one after the other. The drum kits are fabulous sounding. I've also found a better way to select items than always using the wheel, it's not so bad after you get used to it. The only tiny small gripe I have is the screen, I preferred how they done it on the Ea7 with black background and white text, much easier to see. I still have the Ea7 anyway and that's also not going anywhere anytime soon!

All the best to you.
Danny

#509231 - 11/20/23 11:26 AM Re: Finally got the Roland BK9 [Re: DannyUK]
Diki Offline

That’s a pretty comprehensive list of current arrangers you have, Danny. It’s gratifying to hear how you find the decade old BK-9 still competitive in terms of overall sound and live ‘feel’, given you have most of the latest, greatest!

I’ve been saying for decades that it often is way more than 10 years between arrangers that TRULY take a really noticeable change in live sound and believability. Roland’s ‘live’ sound has always been its strong suit, and it is taking other brands a long time (and a lot more money!) to catch up and finally pass…

While the BK series might be a bit barebones as a true ‘arranger player’s arranger’, there was never a doubt its raw sound was incredibly ‘live’.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online