SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#50892 - 02/11/05 05:48 AM U.S. AIR FORCE
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ex Air Force members,

This is off subject, but may be of interest to forum member who have served in the USAF.

Air Force historians are tracking, with photo's, the history of Basic Military Training since the Air Force was formed in 1947. Their goal is 120,000 photographs. They now have 2,000.

Take a look. May see yourself.
http://www.lackland.af.mil/info/flightphoto.asp

Fran in Florida

#50893 - 02/11/05 08:50 AM Re: U.S. AIR FORCE
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Fran,

Thanks for the heads up. I have a couple of photographs taken in 1951 during my basic training at Lackland. They are in storage at the moment. Perhaps I can dig them out one day soon and contribute them to the archives. Remember the old one-piece fatigues and the fatigue hat? How about the brown rough leather boots that had to be black with smooth leather and spit shined. We used to use lighter fluid to burn the roughness off the leather, then spend hours working black polish into the leather. Eventually they shined and passed inspection. Ah yes! Those were the days - the days of Ike Jackets, parades, helmets, foot lockers, policing the area, KP, latrine duty, CQ, and so on. Great memories.

Take care, Fran.

Chuck

#50894 - 02/11/05 10:09 AM Re: U.S. AIR FORCE
Anonymous
Unregistered

Memories I also entered in 1951. Basic at Sampson NY. Showing our age.

Fran in Florida

#50895 - 02/11/05 11:01 AM Re: U.S. AIR FORCE
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Sampson AFB ... I have an aunt whose husband was stationed there ... She was quite beautiful, and some of his friends got her photo and entered it into a "Miss Sampson AFB" contest and she won ... From what I recall hearing, a huge pisture of her was hung in the mess hall ... Jack (her fiance at the time) was not happy about it ....
t.

#50896 - 02/11/05 12:43 PM Re: U.S. AIR FORCE
jrw Offline

Loc: Salem, OR USA
Hi Fran; I was at Sampson AFB in Jan. 1952, Flight 1492. Very cold that time of the year.
Dick

[This message has been edited by jrw (edited 02-11-2005).]

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online