SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#508806 - 09/15/23 11:54 AM Pacemaker Installed Yesterday.
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
At 6:00 PM last night, I had my pacemaker installed. Heart rate was 40 prior. It is 76 right now.

I'm at the office. For the next week, I will be working from 1:00 to 5:00 5 days a week.

That will keep the doors open.

The studio is not happy, but they will have to live with it. My business clients all understand, and I completed all immediate projects prior to the procedure. On a few projects, I did the "shell" work and Logan will complete them.

ONWARD AND UPWARD!

Russ

#508807 - 09/15/23 01:18 PM Re: Pacemaker Installed Yesterday. [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Wow, that was a speedy recovery. I don't remember 'returning to duty' that quickly, but then I might have been just 'milking it' for some sympathy and attention smile. You won't be doing any more mountain climbing or Motocross riding but you won't have any sneak heart attacks either. Take it easy and good luck during the recovery period. I've hit a few snags myself lately.

I developed an inguinal hernia and made an appointment with a surgeon to have it repaired. Because of my age and heart history, I had to get a 'clearance' from my cardiologist (anesthesia tolerance/risk). He refused, without a Nuclear Stress Test which resulted in an echo EKG and ultimately a heart catherizion followed by a Stent. As Gary always says, "getting old ain't for wimps'. Between my Orthopedic doctor (knees, hip joints, back), my several heart doctors, and my eye doctor (glaucoma), it seems like my whole life is just a constant stream of doctor appointments. Oh well, at least I'm still alive and well beyond the average mortality age for the average American male. So, I guess I'm living on 'borrowed time'. I wish I had a say in who I was borrowing it from smile smile. Certain politicians would be in big trouble smile.

Anyhoo, take it easy and let Logan do the heavy lifting.

chas

#508808 - 09/15/23 03:15 PM Re: Pacemaker Installed Yesterday. [Re: captain Russ]
Kerry Offline

Great news Russ, still, dont overdo it, as Chas says let Logan do the heavy lifting...miss our chats!

#508812 - 09/16/23 08:37 AM Re: Pacemaker Installed Yesterday. [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
You will do just fine, Russ, and now is the time to get Logan into high gear and do those long projects that you struggled with each and every month. He can do it, but you might have to kick him in the butt a few times to get the point across.

Chas, I had a bilateral inguinal hernia repair 20 years ago, had to get clearance from the cardiologist as well, stress test, but no cardiac catheter, just nuclear stress and echo cardiogram. The surgeon that did mine was considered the best in the mid Atlantic region and did it with an incision about the size of the end of your little finger at my naval. He was done in just 15 minutes, showed me some photos of the hernias that he took through the fiber-optic scope he used for the procedure and I went home the same day with no pain whatsoever. Turns out that he was the surgeon that all the other docs in the Baltimore area went to when they needed surgery.

Good luck, guys, from another old codger on borrowed time,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#508813 - 09/16/23 12:16 PM Re: Pacemaker Installed Yesterday. [Re: captain Russ]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
No piano moving for a while! Best regards for your continued recovery, Russ.

Neither down, nor out! ♥️🙏

#508815 - 09/16/23 01:27 PM Re: Pacemaker Installed Yesterday. [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Gary, what you describe with the hernia repair is almost identical to what my surgeon described. However, mine will be done as a laparoscopic procedure (using computers) so hopefully will be minimally invasive and mistake free. However, the "What to expect" sheet they gave me sounds pretty grim. I hope most of their grim post-op projections don't happen. Fingers crossed.

chas

#508816 - 09/16/23 01:59 PM Re: Pacemaker Installed Yesterday. [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Chas, the only restrictions I had was to not pick up anything heavier than 10 pounds for the first 7 days, then go back to my normal routine. Consequently, I had to get my daughter to help me load, setup and unload my music gear for the jobs, but I still was able to do my performances without a hitch. My procedure was laparoscopic as well, but not computer assisted. Just my surgeon on the other end of the scope and performing the procedure manually. I sincerely hope you do not suffer any painful after affects from the surgery.

Good luck, Chas, and keep us posted,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#508818 - 09/16/23 06:40 PM Re: Pacemaker Installed Yesterday. [Re: captain Russ]
zuki Offline

Speedy recovery Russ!

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#508820 - 09/16/23 10:47 PM Re: Pacemaker Installed Yesterday. [Re: captain Russ]
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Russ

You will be just fine, I had my PaceMaker & Defribillator "installed" almost 9 years ago in November, and I am still going on, and yes, you must lay off the heavy lifting, some MODERATE exercise and try to eat healthy.
Actually, I have to make an appointment to see how is the Batery level.

And please, take it a little easier, slow down a little.

Manuel

#508827 - 09/18/23 11:58 AM Re: Pacemaker Installed Yesterday. [Re: mdorantes]
captain Russ Offline

I can tell you that going back to even an easy work schedule is CRAZY in just a few days.

I'm getting better. The finding of a comfortable sleeping position is hard.

I will get a wound inspection and bandage removal on Thursday.

Now I know for sure...I AM NOT INVINCIBLE!

Russ (OUCH) Lay

Edited by captain Russ (09/18/23 12:02 PM)

#508829 - 09/18/23 12:17 PM Re: Pacemaker Installed Yesterday. [Re: captain Russ]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Hang in there, Russ. Immortality isn’t all it’s cracked out to be! ♥️🎹

#508834 - 09/18/23 04:34 PM Re: Pacemaker Installed Yesterday. [Re: captain Russ]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Good Luck Buddy

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#508838 - 09/19/23 10:42 AM Re: Pacemaker Installed Yesterday. [Re: lahawk]
captain Russ Offline

A much better day! Turns out I was dehydrated yesterday, which raised my heart rate and made me really lightheaded.

Finding a guitar that weighs less than 10 pounds is a chore!

My boys are helping me with any lifting for the next few weeks.

Didn't realize how bad off I was. If you find out you need a pacemaker....GET IT!

Russ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online