SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#508671 - 08/09/23 09:31 AM Full circle
zuki Offline

Recently sold the Roland e50. Was not what I wanted overall, but super nice. Picked up a used/new white P-125 and was blown away with the action and pianos.

Full steam ahead. The DGX-670 is a piano improvement over the 125 - terrific. Throw in some real styles and the ability to record audio within the board itself will be a useful studio tool.

Building my studio to do some recording and videos and I think this is a great addition in having 'fun' too.

Go Lions!

Edited by zuki (08/09/23 09:32 AM)

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#508672 - 08/09/23 10:08 AM Re: Full circle [Re: zuki]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
If it's not fun, don't do it! wink

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#508673 - 08/09/23 10:11 AM Re: Full circle [Re: zuki]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
GOOD FOR YOU! Glad you are out there having fun and improving your skills. That, for me, at least, it what it's all about.

Thanks so much for the "wise words" concerning my upcoming pacemaker
the other day.

you're always very high on my list of good guys.

Be well,

R

#508679 - 08/12/23 08:52 AM Re: Full circle [Re: zuki]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
That’s interesting Zuki, I always think of you as a Korg guy. The funny thing is, I am sort of a Yamaha guy for my 61 key arrangers, but for 88 weighted digital arrangers , I use Korg. A Havian and XE 20.

Either way, the DGX- is an awesome board. I’m sure it will serve you very well!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#508694 - 08/13/23 06:54 PM Re: Full circle [Re: zuki]
zuki Offline

Didn't like the DGX as well as the P-125. Super happy with just playing piano. Yamaha nailed it on this board - it's a fantastic bargain for the keybed and pianos alone.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#508695 - 08/14/23 08:42 AM Re: Full circle [Re: zuki]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I have a pro jazz pianist friend that plays a P 125 in mono, and still makes it sound great. Your right, it's a fantastic bargain, and it's nice to step away from the auto accompaniment.

Edited by montunoman (08/14/23 08:43 AM)

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#508714 - 08/17/23 07:21 PM Re: Full circle [Re: zuki]
zuki Offline

Sold the P-125 and got a Roland DS 76. Carry on....

#508715 - 08/18/23 08:48 AM Re: Full circle [Re: zuki]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You know the best way to step away from the auto-accompaniment?

DON’T TURN IT ON! 😂🎹

Every one of us has a fabulous live band keyboard, a decent grand piano, a good Hammond, a plethora of synths and a full orchestra at our beck and call, without needing to go out and buy another keyboard. There’s no rule that says you HAVE to turn on a style, split the keyboard and do one finger chords in the LH!

Just ignore that PLAY button..! 😎

#508729 - 08/21/23 04:39 AM Re: Full circle [Re: zuki]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
I have DS 76 and have mixed feelings about it. There aren't many 76 key keyboards out there and this one is the most affordable, except for some entry level Yamaha models with limited polyphony. The main piano sound has pros and cons. Pros: my fingers just want to play it, and that's why I bought it. Cons: you may feel that switch between soft touches and hard touches is a bit uneven, like some notes are louder than other. Don't forget to adjust the sensitivety, BTW (key touch, velo curve and curve offset). You can get another piano sound with Axial extension, it sounds more even, but also has some noise, like it was overly compressed.

Sometimes I wish I had extra money back then and bought MODX7 instead, but it would be a lot of extra money and I'm yet to see what MODX is in reality, perhaps there are issues of its own. What I like about Juno DS is that it has a lot of extras comparing to any digital piano, there are a lot of electric piano sounds which are decent, and a lot of sounds in other categories, but I can't say that they are of the highest quality, comparing to what people are used to today while using VST instruments.

But I have been abroad since November away from all my keyboards. I bought PSR-S670 here and looks like I was lucky as there aren't many offers here - if I sell it, I won't get anything as good for this money. At some point it helps when your are stuck with a certain keyboard, like on an island, because eventually nothing is perfect, but it takes time to build a relationship. On the other hand I would be exciced to have here something new, although usually it's enough for me to listen to YouTube demos to realize that everything is basically the same. Well, it's not only PSR I have on this "island" (Kyrgyzstan isn't an island, quite the opposite), I bought a guitar, but currently I'm more interested in making music using a computer. I was never a fan of VSTs and never cared for making music with a mouse (piano roll). But it's hard to deny the opportunities it provides for composing. As Hanz Zimmer says, in order to use a computer as a music instrument, one should take time to study it as such. Actually back in Russia I bought two small MIDI controllers to take them here with me, it was an only option which I could get on a plane without too much trouble. It certainly can't replace playing a normal instrument. Even thought my computer isn't the weakest, I can't play piano sound with sustained notes without getting issues with latency, even while using an external sound card with a proper ASIO driver, so when people say "don't buy a synth/arranger/piano, just buy a MIDI keyboard" it's not always good advice. Maybe more powerful computers handle it better.

Nevertheless, today I finished a small orchestral song which I created using only the stuff which fits into my backpack, and I'm more pleased with the overall sound than I was with what my SX900 produced, but I suspect that music created this way tends to sound more artificial and "soulless". I know that it kind of starts a different topic, but in my head these all subjects are sort of merged with each other, and I don't expect that there'll be a lot of a discussion, I hope to hear on your experience with Juno. 

https://youtu.be/VrXQMx9j7xA

Edited by Kabinopus (08/21/23 05:07 AM)

#508730 - 08/21/23 05:17 AM Re: Full circle [Re: zuki]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Very nice. I wish I had the talent, training, and playing ability to create this type of music. Sadly, it's too late in my life to start now.

You touched on a number of things in your post worthy of separate discussions and I'm hoping someone will pick one to 'flesh out' for further discussion.

Question....do you feel that using a controller/VSTi robs you of some of the expressiveness achievable in a dedicated (self-contained) keyboard? Does the computer and/or audio interface diminish things like touch response (latency, however small or seemingly imperceptible), natural attack, response, release, etc.? Would love to hear your feelings on the subject.

chas

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online