SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#508346 - 05/26/23 02:51 AM Re: Re-learning old equipment [Re: cgiles]
MusicalMemories Online   content

Loc: Arbroath,Angus,Scotland
Thinking about as you move from arranger to arranger through time, but you may also also learn new skills in areas such as sound design, and more in depth editing skills..

Whilst you may have more features / sounds In your newer arrangers, if you knew what you know now would it have made the Arrangers you had previously because you have gained a more in depth knowledge.

#508356 - 05/29/23 01:06 PM Re: Re-learning old equipment [Re: cgiles]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
No matter how hard we try, Chas, there are times when our fingers let us down. A sampled sax, for instance, can play two notes at a time, and unfortunately, putting it into monophonic mode isn’t really very close to how an actual reed or brass instrument works. So, even if just a fraction overlapped, there’s a sax playing two notes! Then, like a B3, there’s the issue of where does the tongued note go into the un-tongued notes? As if you have a choice! Just like sampled B3’s, either the sample has the percussion at the start, or it doesn’t, it has the tongued note at the start, or it doesn’t…

You like to put technology down chas, but you completely ignore the technology you already have working at your fingertips making what you play more musical…

I can only imagine a post of yours on a Hammond forum in the 50’s, where you dismiss the differences between multiple trigger percussion and single trigger percussion..! But you know the difference, and use it in your playing, every day. Single trigger percussion allows you to phrase the line, to emphasize the starts of phrases, to articulate what you feel in your heart.

The truth is, just like a sampled sax sound, you ARE making mistakes with your fingering on the organ. But make that break in the line, and the percussion will sound every time. And it’s not your search for fingering perfection that got it. It’s technology (the horror!)…

It’s just old technology. Technology you are so used to, you don’t think it’s there, or don’t consider how important it is until it isn’t. Well, Chas, modeling saxes are the exact same thing. Technology, for sure. But technology you don’t really have to know about, that you don’t have to understand at all. It just makes what you play more musical. You get used to how it helps you phrase well, and then you just forget about the nuts and bolts of it and get back to making MUSIC without a care in the world of how it works!

So, think about your B3 for a moment. In a real one, that’s some amazing electromechanical engineering. In a clone there’s some extremely sophisticated modeling going on just to let you sit down and play it, and it sound and respond JUST like a real one. Would you have not bought your Hammond clone if anyone like me had explained how the magic happened? Would you have got your hackles up and started muttering about not wanting to deal with sophisticated technology?

Damn good job you didn’t!

We ALL benefit from how technology helps us to achieve our musical goals. All SWAM is is one more example.

#508359 - 05/29/23 04:13 PM Re: Re-learning old equipment [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Diki, my gripe is not with technology. It's with your insistence that I (everyone) use an object or procedure of YOUR choice rather than one of THEIR choice. Who's to say that one SUBJECTIVE thing is better than another? You have your preferences and I have mine. Is it any wonder than one might feel resentful and annoyed when they feel bullied and coerced into accepting someone else's choice over their own? Why not just make suggestions, that a person can try or not try, and let it go at that.

I'm not anti-technology. My whole career has been technology-related. Noooo, what I am is anti-authoritarianism, which is one of the reasons I've been an atheist since the first time I could say "mama".

BTW, that FP-E50 is working out well. I've been playing it on cheap 5" studio monitors and didn't realize how GOOD that Supernatural piano was until last week when I listened to it through some $270.00 headphones. Wowwww! I'm getting used to the sub-par keybed (it's stiffer than my Yamaha acoustic piano) but still wish it were the keybed that's on the FP-90(x) which is an upscale version of the same keybed. Oh well, it was obviously a 'keep it cheap' decision by Roland. Still a great bang for the buck.

Glad your healing process is going well. Don't overdo it. Me, I get 6 hrs of sleep every night. The other 18 hrs is spent napping on the couch (short breaks to check Synthzone and hit the John smile ).

chas

#508361 - 05/30/23 02:13 AM Re: Re-learning old equipment [Re: cgiles]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
The problem with technology (In musical equipment) is that people let it become the master rather than it being the slave, which is the reason why once you have heard one arranger player you have heard most of the others.
In the old days you had to work at it to get the sound you wanted (Which was different to everybody else) and so it was great going round and listening to different performers, now what's the point as everybody sounds the same. (Yes there are some great performers out there that make the sound there own, but there seriously low in numbers to what there used to be)

Bill

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online