SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#508281 - 05/15/23 10:48 AM About to go back to work
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I quit my nightly gig about 2 months into covid. I have been working an average of three "hired gun" studio jobs a month and doing about 20 video and score projects for my clients a year.

Lately, I noticed I am slowing down a bit. What I realize is, while I didn't like the country club I worked, I liked the 2-4 hours of PAID PRACTICE a night.

A friend who was head chef for a place I worked for 14 years started a place abut 10 years ago. It's upper scale, draws the kind of clients I want for my marketing production company and is conveniently located.

He has been using a rotating group of singles, duos and trios...some good; some not so good.

I will be the "house jazz guy". Across town, there is a good Italian restaurant where my friend George played. He was replaced 7 years ago by a so so sax player, using poorly prepared tracks.

That's the competition, which really shouldn't amount to much, since the owner of that place offers me a house job every few months.

Wish me luck!

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (05/15/23 10:50 AM)

#508291 - 05/16/23 08:02 AM Re: About to go back to work [Re: captain Russ]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Congratulations Russ, glad you’re still working. In my little circle ( small independent Mexican restaurants / Latino clubs) the big competition is solo impersonating acts, which is usually men who impersonating famous women singers, which is all lip sync .
Nothing against that, but I have my limits… Meanwhile, we ‘re keeping busy enough performing at parties and festivals.

Also I joined a classic rock band that performs at retirement communities. Fun to watch the folks in their 70’s and 80’s rock out to the Stones, Eagles, Led Zeppelin, Door, Beatles…..

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#508297 - 05/17/23 01:38 PM Re: About to go back to work [Re: captain Russ]
DanO63 Offline

Loc: Baltimore MD
Nice Russ. Enjoy

#508313 - 05/24/23 11:47 AM Re: About to go back to work [Re: captain Russ]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Nothing beats playing live. Studio work, there’s always that second take, that rethink about note choice. Live, no do-overs! And yes, 2-3 hours finger time a night is probably more than we do in a non-gigging day. Seat time equals lap times!

Glad you’re back out in the thick of things, Russ. I'm sure you’ll love it! I know that getting back to playing has been the driving force in my recovery… 🎹♥️

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online