SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 9 10 >
Topic Options
#508029 - 03/23/23 01:12 PM Re: Roland FP-E50 ( not a real arranger but great) [Re: jamman]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The thing that worries me about downward and rearward facing speakers is they do a great job of not localizing the piano sound, helping it to be diffuse like a real piano.

But… what about all the backing sounds? Those tend to sound better with a directly heard speaker. Be nice if the piano only could be routed to the downward facing speakers, and then the backing routed to the main 1/4” outputs to go to some decent monitors. But I guess there’s always a compromise with a $1000 piece of gear.

#508031 - 03/23/23 02:56 PM Re: Roland FP-E50 ( not a real arranger but great) [Re: jamman]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Well it comes tomorrow and I'm mildly excited. In any case, I'm not going to START this journey looking for negatives. I'll reserve judgement until AFTER I've heard it in person. I tend to trust MY OWN judgement about how an instrument sounds. If I don't like it I'll return it get something else.....OR, maybe I'll just get a second one and play piano on one through the on-board speakers and the backing on the other through the L-R outs. I'll call it the 'IDIOTS WORKAROUND'. But anyhow, thanks for sending out those good vibes, Diki. The joy of getting a new toy is highly overated, right.

chas

#508033 - 03/23/23 05:29 PM Re: Roland FP-E50 ( not a real arranger but great) [Re: jamman]
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Just want to make sure you are aware that you can use a stereo Y chord in the headphone jack of the DGX-670 and change the headphone jack to be stereo outputs and once you do this and push save, it will stay in this mode everytime you turn on the keyboard
(Retired 2021)

#508034 - 03/23/23 08:14 PM Re: Roland FP-E50 ( not a real arranger but great) [Re: George Kaye]
rphillipchuk Online   content

Loc: Ontario Canada
George

I am a little confused...... I have the DGX-670 and use the Stereo Y Chord to connect to my monitors....
What do you mean by "Push Save"..

Ron

Edited by rphillipchuk (03/23/23 08:19 PM)

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#508039 - 03/24/23 06:35 AM Re: Roland FP-E50 ( not a real arranger but great) [Re: jamman]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I believe this Roland has a chord sequencer/ looper, which I absolutely love. In fact this morning I set a loop for the standard rhythm changes, and worked on some 2 handed voicing that Chas turned me on too. There is no way my KB would recognize those chord voicing with the extensions and alternations using standard auto accompaniment . Also it’s nice to do rhythmic anticipations and delays without being a slave to the downbeat.
Take advantage of this feature Chas, I’m sure you’ll like it too!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#508041 - 03/24/23 07:20 AM Re: Roland FP-E50 ( not a real arranger but great) [Re: jamman]
cgiles Offline

I plan to, Paul, along with all the other nice features this very affordable, good-sounding board has to offer. Glad you could use that little 'tutorial'. Mastering that goes a long way towards making one sound 'professional'.

BTW, I've been listening to a lot of Santana lately. He's always been in the top 5 of my favorites, but it's the percussion that keeps bringing me back for another listen. It is just flat-out exquisite. The timing and precision is just beyond awesome. His younger percussionist that died (can't recall his name...failing memory) just astounded me with his artistry. It saddens me that this level of talent and artistry is only known by fans of the band when, in fact, these guys should be in some kind of music Hall of Fame. Oh well, no one said life was fair.

chas

#508050 - 03/25/23 03:49 PM Re: Roland FP-E50 ( not a real arranger but great) [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
His younger percussionist that died (can't recall his name...failing memory) just astounded me with his artistry. It saddens me that this level of talent and artistry is only known by fans of the band when, in fact, these guys should be in some kind of music Hall of Fame. Oh well, no one said life was fair.

chas

Exhibit 1:
(go to about 5:30)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvvrGWrh...el=EpicConcerts

Oh, and the young guy that sadly died, Raul Rekow.

chas

#508051 - 03/25/23 04:14 PM Re: Roland FP-E50 ( not a real arranger but great) [Re: jamman]
cgiles Offline

BTW, got my FP-E50. Set it up briefly in the living room beside by Yamaha acoustic piano. Big mistake. NEVER play ANY digital piano next to a decent acoustic piano; it's going to make you have some regrets smile smile . Aside from that, it sounds great considering the two small 11w speakers (in a room size space). I have a spare set of 6" studio monitors which I'll probably add once it's in it's permanent space (my office?).

I haven't had time to play with it yet (NCAA basketball) but what I've heard so far sounds pretty good (probably much better with the external monitors). My only (mild) complaint is the 'stiffness' of the keys. Having played organ (and later synths) most of my musical life, I'm having to adjust to the stiffer action in this keybed. Luckily, I've been playing the Crumar SEVEN a lot, which is even stiffer, so getting acclimated to to the PH4 keybed shouldn't be too difficult. The arthiritis in my fingers doesn't help though. Hope it doesn't get much worse. Anyhow, I'll spend the next week doing a deep dive and see if my own feedback corresponds to the professional reviewers.

chas

#508052 - 03/26/23 08:14 AM Re: Roland FP-E50 ( not a real arranger but great) [Re: jamman]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Mirriam’s review mentioned that the action loosens up somewhat after it’s played in.

You might try just doing rapid repeated notes on each key in turn for a few minutes each. Boring, I know, but you’ll get a more even break-in that way.

#508062 - 03/26/23 08:18 PM Re: Roland FP-E50 ( not a real arranger but great) [Re: jamman]
cgiles Offline

I really like this guy's playing and demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFUhF2OpQzw&ab_channel=MeXKeys

chas

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online