SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#507870 - 03/08/23 02:13 PM Re: KETRON EVENT - Your questions and doubts answered. [Re: Diki]
Ingres Offline

Loc: FWI
describing a real default is ok and submitting to the factory is the right way to improve hard or soft

criticize what someone THINK or GUESS is different: many things said are supposed or false, even by Event owners who have not read the manual or are not used to Ketron...
Wjth my Audya, once I load a registration, I never (scarcely) hit any button while playing as any usual or useful function is at a toetip (fill, break, variation, voice, snare, transpose,.., see manual)...

I forgive ... better wait for my Event.. My brother Genos is a very good kb but doesn't attract me, neither did the SD9
PA5X and Genos are very good kb but Event is my choice
The whole world doesn't drive Toyota.. So I choose a Fiat

#507871 - 03/08/23 02:49 PM Re: KETRON EVENT - Your questions and doubts answered. [Re: Ketron_AJ]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Well, this early in the Event's release cycle, just about everyone is guessing or thinking. It takes a long time to find all the faults, and it takes as long to find out the workarounds. And, as was pointed out to AJ earlier, just because there’s a workaround, it may not be practical when actually playing much!

While many have embraced using Registrations to overcome a lack of front panel control (it’s what I had to do when going from the touchscreen G70 to the twin non-touchscreen BK9), many arranger players still prefer to try and run the whole show on the fly from the front panel. Talk about old school!

So ‘workarounds’ that aren’t practical under those circumstances have to be exposed and at least presented as a potential issue to ‘old school’ users. Remember, most of us here remember the day the asteroid killed the dinosaurs!

I say, bring it on! Let’s hear the impressions. If they’re provably wrong, that can be refuted. If the workarounds are practical or not, that can be discussed. But, no reviews, no discussion. No discussion, no clarification. Until there’s a ton of Events in the hands of those willing to come here and post about it, embrace what we can find, for good or bad.

We don’t work for anyone but ourselves! 🎹♥️💵

#507873 - 03/08/23 05:58 PM Re: KETRON EVENT - Your questions and doubts answered. [Re: Ketron_AJ]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi, tend to think no amount of bad publicity is going to stop someone buying the keyboard if they really want it.
By the time I bought my PA5X, there were so many bad reviews and complaints around.
I worked it out for myself.
Did it have the functions I needed in it’s current state?
For me it was a case of I could make do , even if they didn’t add some of the functions from the prior models back in, yes I could.
(As it is , they are going too, do that is a bonus)
The odd bug it currently still has, I’ve worked around. Bugs they usually end up fixing , so that wasn’t really my main concern.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#507878 - 03/09/23 03:01 AM Re: KETRON EVENT - Your questions and doubts answered. [Re: rikkisbears]
Ingres Offline

clap

and life is as simple as that!

woot

note : for a fair and (tending to be) objective and constructive discussion and comparison, see the following

link

... by a pro who owns the keyboards....

Edited by Ingres (03/09/23 03:28 AM)

#507881 - 03/09/23 04:40 AM Re: KETRON EVENT - Your questions and doubts answered. [Re: Diki]
organgrinder Offline

Loc: ft. lauderdale, florida
WHAT'S WRONG WITH OLD SCHOOL. I ARRANGE my keyboard for my needs and when it's set up I can play from the front all night ,off the cuff songs, fills, breaks and requests. Very seldom do i need to play hide and seek in the buried menu. I got my arranger so I could ARRANGE it to MY liking and if iat works for me I could care less if it works for someone else. SOMETIMES OLD SCHOOL WORKS. don't dare to make fun of it. There is more than one way to set up a keyboard.

#507882 - 03/09/23 05:10 AM Re: KETRON EVENT - Your questions and doubts answered. [Re: Ketron_AJ]
Diki Offline

As I said earlier, everyone uses their arrangers their way..!

Nothing wrong with ‘old school’, but as we’ve been discussing, some newer arrangers are making old school harder and harder to do. Fewer buttons, a shift toward using the central touchscreen for functions, an exponential increase in style and sound choices, more and more effect options etc. etc., it’s a very different world from the 90’s when arrangers were so simple, old school was how nearly everyone ran the arrangers.

But what we saw from the Event review is, old school may not be as practical as it used to be, an important consideration for players coming from say Korg or older Yamaha arrangers, that actually do have enough buttons to go old school.

And once again, Rikki, home use isn’t really the gold standard for deciding whether missing features, buggy features and incomplete data migration are important or not. No, they may not be important to YOU, but you don’t face the pressure of performing in public, and relying on the migration of data you’ve accumulated over years for your show to function smoothly. Working pros may not even have the days if not weeks you took to find your workarounds, and may rely on heavy sampler use (I have a feeling that’s an area you possibly haven’t gone bear yet, but the Middle East and Slavic countries are completely dependent on easy sample set migration).

If you didn’t rely on using the SMF to style converter to prepare new styles all the time, or any of the other incomplete or buggy sections, it’s pretty easy to say ‘I’m okay, nothing to worry here’. But other power users of the PA4x may be as legitimately in a bad position. Thing is, most of them are not posting here…

So, once again, lower your hackles, folks. Nothing wrong with how YOU use your arrangers. But just because either you still have an older arranger that still allows you to easily go old school, or lowered needs as a home user with no commercial pressure on whether the bugs, missing features and data migration issues matter, don’t try to insist that because you have no problems, people shouldn’t bring them up all the time. If they weren’t having issues you don’t face, they wouldn’t be posting about them, would they?

#507890 - 03/09/23 07:06 AM Re: KETRON EVENT - Your questions and doubts answered. [Re: rikkisbears]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By rikkisbears
Hi, tend to think no amount of bad publicity is going to stop someone buying the keyboard if they really want it.
By the time I bought my PA5X, there were so many bad reviews and complaints around.
I worked it out for myself.
Did it have the functions I needed in it’s current state?
For me it was a case of I could make do , even if they didn’t add some of the functions from the prior models back in, yes I could.
(As it is , they are going too, do that is a bonus)
The odd bug it currently still has, I’ve worked around. Bugs they usually end up fixing , so that wasn’t really my main concern.

So well said, Rikki. Regarding low forum participation, maybe people are just tired of hearing constant criticism about any and every thing that doesn't fit their view of how the (arranger) world SHOULD be. Or maybe just tired of being bombarded with solutions looking for a problem. I think REAL solutions to REAL problems are usually handled when ENCOUNTERED and POINTED OUT by actual owner/users of the instrument. I think, as Rikki pointed out, that speculative criticism by non-owners who have never even SEEN the instrument, much less having any hands-on experience, could very well discourage would-be purchasers from buying an instrument that they may very well have been totally satisfied with.

So, I say, let's assume that the prospective purchaser has enough brains and common sense to research the product based on input from current owners and determine if any uncovered (or perceived) deficiencies will affect his/her intended use of the instrument. Also, just because a feature is not implemented the way YOU would have implemented it (different people use different features in different ways - or sometimes not at all) doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad feature; it may work perfectly for someone else. In any case, in the words of the great Muhammad Ali, "different strokes for different folks".

chas

PS: I'm not sure Muhammad Ali came up with that smile smile .

#507892 - 03/09/23 08:14 AM Re: KETRON EVENT - Your questions and doubts answered. [Re: Ketron_AJ]
Diki Offline

Not really sure how a user review that points out issues qualifies as ‘publicity’, I rather feel that is the purview of the manufacturer.

But I can assure you, most of the angst you hear over at Korgforums is people that REALLY want a PA5x but having been informed of the bugs and issues that matter enough to be a dealbreaker are denied getting one until the issues are fixed.

You can definitely count me amongst those who would NOT buy a product no matter how much I want one if there are issues that would prevent me using it the way I want (and that worked fine the previous model). But then again, I’m looking for a professional product for professional users, who can’t afford to wait while essential features slowly (glacially!) get added back to the OS.

If you don’t like criticism of a product that meets your needs, put yourself in the shoes of someone that it doesn’t fit their needs until finished, and see how you’d feel then…

As to forum participation, the forum is open at all times to discussions about anything related to arrangers. If you fail to come up with anything yourself, you are hardly in a position to criticize those that still do post about arrangers. There are plenty of other forums for discussing electric pianos, organs, furniture, bikes, whatever. But forum participation depends on the members. If the content isn’t what you want, be a part of the solution.

#507893 - 03/09/23 08:42 AM Re: KETRON EVENT - Your questions and doubts answered. [Re: Diki]
Ingres Offline

‘mine is better than yours’
my judgement is better than yours .. whatever you will say

hopeless

Edited by Ingres (03/09/23 08:43 AM)

#507905 - 03/09/23 04:25 PM Re: KETRON EVENT - Your questions and doubts answered. [Re: Ketron_AJ]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
"Discuss topics in a civil manner or move on".. reminder for some...

Regarding Bojan from Dynamix Audio, I dont personally know him or have met him but I have purchased alot of his sample packs in the past to use with various arranger keyboards. for example The Power Piano voice is next level (I used it religiously in my PSR SX900). To my knowledge (Assumingly) he buys arranger keyboards, tests them and then designs sample packs for them.

He is not by any means a Yamaha or a Korg fanboy or any particular fan boy for that matter. (I dont think I am either) I love arranger keyboards and synths and it is my life - just like many others here.

I feel that the criticism Bojan gave about the EVENT was based on an arranger player's first hand experience without deep diving into the manual or the Screen menus - maybe he did try and menu dive and still couldn't figure it out? And personally I don't blame him. It is always warranted to call these things out - we live in a world where everyone is watching - and believe it or now - WE the customers have essentially become the product testers !!

Should Bojan have held back and waited for confirmation before posting the video? maybe.. but maybe not... Because although each and every one of his bug bearers have essentially been "de bunked" in AJ's video, Bojan raised some critical work flow / ease of use issues behind all the hype of yet another "latest and greatest" keyboard hitting the market...

Don't forget - Korg got absolutely smashed after the PA5x release, and rightly so... but hey - they are listening and they are correcting issues with OS updates. Without all the complaints and rants on "social media" they probably wouldn't have done anything... who knows?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online