SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#5075 - 05/02/05 11:06 AM SCSI image
BobMiner Offline

Loc: Albuquerque, NM USA
DiskToFile has stopped working.

ANybody creating and burning SCSI images?
What software?
What settings?

The ultimate goal is to get the S2000 akai samples from my SCSI HD burned to a CD

#5076 - 05/02/05 12:03 PM Re: SCSI image
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by BobMiner:
The ultimate goal is to get the S2000 akai samples from my SCSI HD burned to a CD

As far as I understand you'll save your Akai wave files as a backup from your PC's SCSI HDD to a CD. I'm not sure wether you meant an 'image' or a generally 'backup' but creating an image is absolutely not necessary. Copying and comparing (source vs. destination) is providing a lower chance to loose or damage data than imaging AND copying+comparing.

Based on the fact that you only want to make a copy of your valuable samples it's totally easy. You can read data from your SCSI HDD and burn it down on CD-ROM wether it's a SCSI device or an IDE device. You'll need a CD burning software like WinOnCD or NeroBurningROM for it.

If you need software guidance I can help with NeroBurningROM version 5.0 only. But the most burning softwares are similar in their functions.

Burning data on CD means to use the CDFS format (CDFS = compact disc filing system). This format is compatible to ALL CD-ROM drives and to ALL operating systems. So you should be able to connect a CD-ROM drive to your synth and load datas direct from CD to synth (based on the fact that your synth supports this ability!).

I hope this will help you!

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

#5077 - 05/07/05 09:26 AM Re: SCSI image
BobMiner Offline

Sheriff,
I have a SCSI HD attached to my PC, but its disabled. In the disabled state I attach my Akai sampler to it, and save samples there.

Before, when diskToFile (an imaging program) worked, I could enable the SCSI HD, and use the PC to create an image file on my PC's IDE HD of the Akai formatted SCSI drive including all the samples.

Then I could use my CD Burning program to burn that image to a CD.

Then I could take my Akai sampler to gigs and load the samples with a CD drive and the one CD rather than bunches of floppy disks.

So the question is, how can I write the image of the Akai formatted SCSI HD to a file, and then the file to a CD?
Quote:
If you need software guidance I can help with NeroBurningROM version 5.0 only.

Yes PLEASE!!

[This message has been edited by BobMiner (edited 05-07-2005).]

#5078 - 05/07/05 01:25 PM Re: SCSI image
Sheriff Offline

Hello, Bob!

Well, there's one point wich makes me unsure: Are the SCSI HDDs formatted as DOS or as AKAI FS?
All I wanna know is: Did you format the HDDs from your AKAI or from your PC?

[*]If your HDDs are AKAI formatted then the image reader could be made especially for reading this format. In this case you will have to re-install this program and then it should run at your familiar way.

[*]If the HDDs are DOS formatted then Windows (and all programs on it) should be able to read those files. But you wrote that they are disabled with a software switch.
If you are using Nero V5.0 you should have the ability to scan your hosts. If Nero finds the SCSI host then we are a step further.

In Nero's program menu you should have the choice to burn a HD backup. If you click on this point then a message should appear which will tell you something about HD backups and what to care of. On the bottom of this message window you'll find two buttons - click on the 'MORE' button.
Now you'll come to the next window where you can take choice of your data source. Choose your SCSI host and then the wanted partition. The drive table will show you how many CDs you'll need for the whole backup. After clicking the 'OK' button you will reach the last step of your backup - the burning menu.

Here you can take choice of simulate only, simulate+burn or burn only. I recommend to use the simulation option because sometimes it will save you much time if you realize before burning that one of your CDs has bad sectors.

Attention: If the partition is bigger than the capacity of a single CD then Nero will save across multiple discs. I guess those backups are made for partition backup only.

[*]But you need to save your wave files from HDD as wave files on your CD because you want to read them from CD into your AKAI. In this case you need to read your files from HDD in a normal way.
It might be possible to use Nero for this too. I still remember the fact of the disabled HDD but I don't know right now how to enable the HDDs by Nero. I guess this will happen automatically by scanning the IDE and SCSI hosts.
If this is the way you need then please let me know because that will be a harder ride for us...

Important question: Is your AKAI sampler able to read normal audio files and/or normal wave files from CD?

------------------
Sheriff ;-)

#5079 - 05/07/05 06:23 PM Re: SCSI image
BobMiner Offline

Quote:
Are the SCSI HDDs formatted as DOS or as AKAI FS?

THe Akai sampler formated the HDD; Windows thinks its empty/unformatted.

I've downloaded Nero 5.51056, and once I get it loaded I'll try your suggestion. (The version I have is 6.)

The sampler will not read WAV files...it reads its own files only.

Thanks for the help, I'll report back with my results.

#5080 - 05/08/05 03:53 AM Re: SCSI image
Sheriff Offline

Okay, try it with Nero but the last point you've mentioned shows me that it is a little bit more complicated to use Nero for it because you have to make some settings before you can start but nevertheless it should work.

Now I see the fact that you formatted your HDDs as AKAI FS. This means that you'll need a special software to read your AKAI datas or read it as raw datas. I've thought at first that your problem looks similar to my problem on the Kurzweil. Oh, by the way, my Kurzweil can read AKAI files too.

You can try this page:
http://www.xfader.com/akai/

There I've found some programs:
http://www.xfader.com/akai/samplevision.zip
and http://www.xfader.com/akai/sv4win.zip

And I've found some utilities:
http://www.xfader.com/akai/AKAIDISK.ZIP
and http://www.xfader.com/akai/AKAIDI~1.ZIP

You can try this page:
http://mp3.deepsound.net/akai_cd.php

I guess there you will find what you need. I readed about the program named 'DISK2FILE'. This little program does the same like any CD-recording software using the ISO images from raw SCSI. I guess your HDD isn't bigger than about 500MB?

This leads to my opinion that we will have to take choice of a harder ride...

------------------
Sheriff ;-)

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 05-08-2005).]

#5081 - 05/08/05 04:02 AM Re: SCSI image
Sheriff Offline

Unfortunality DISK2FILE isn't for free but you can download a free evaluation version.

We also can still try to use Nero...

#5082 - 05/08/05 09:50 AM Re: SCSI image
BobMiner Offline

Thanks SHeriff,

I'd originally used DiskToFile (see first line of first post ), but it stopped working in XP; no response from the author (typical French guy )

The CD will be at/under 500MB.
All of your assesments are correct.

I'll check the links you recommended. I'm ready for the tough ride.
You're a GEM!!!

#5083 - 05/09/05 05:34 AM Re: SCSI image
Sheriff Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by BobMiner:
I'll check the links you recommended. I'm ready for the tough ride.
You're a GEM!!!

Uh, thanks for the praise but there's one thing I've always in my mind:
"Don't hallow the day before the sun goes down!"

We have a hard way to go. If we'll reach our aim then we can praise the lord...

Tell me if you are ready to go!

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 05-09-2005).]

#5084 - 05/10/05 08:59 PM Re: SCSI image
BobMiner Offline

Well my brother, I've found another way out. Turns out the S2000 will read ZIP disks.

I have syquest syjet drives and disks, tried them out, they work FINE!!!

So I've officially given up on trying to burn CD's...I'll just use the zips.

I'm very sorry for having taken so much of your time, and I REALLY appreciate the effort. I'd searched high and low, posted in several places, sent numerous emails; you were the only one on the planet who cared.

Rock on.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online