SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#5070 - 09/03/02 08:36 PM synth vs computer program
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi
I have an recording set up with a G4 Mac and protools but as yet no midi arrangements. I was wondering if anybody could tell me which would be a better set up - a cheapish synth or computer software (such as Reason) and a midi controller.
Thanks EK

#5071 - 09/04/02 08:02 AM Re: synth vs computer program
tekminus Offline

You must start by leaving this place and never look back. Go! ..while you still can. There's a whole world out there! Trust me, just go.

-tek

#5072 - 09/04/02 05:31 PM Re: synth vs computer program
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
Reaktor = pure sex. If only you had a VSTi capable MIDI sequencer.

#5073 - 09/04/02 11:53 PM Re: synth vs computer program
MRT1212 Offline

Loc: Foster City
so cloakboy, how exactly does reaktor differ between the stand alone version and the VSTi version?

how do the outputs and such work? i know that in stand alone you can select the outputs on the soundcard, but in VSTi mode is it solely limited to just the VSTi output (lets say on the cubase mixer)

[This message has been edited by MRT1212 (edited 09-04-2002).]

#5074 - 09/06/02 04:08 PM Re: synth vs computer program
Cloakboy Offline

Loc: Racine, Wisconsin USA
Standalone lacks what i consider to be a "real" sequencer... i like things to be completely open ended, not just limited to loops and patterns. Also, having a program like Cubase or Logic makes it easier to bounce what you have in Reaktor to a wav file, as opposed to Reaktor's system for bouncing things to a wav file, which I hate. (it involves hooking your ensemble into a "Tape deck" module... sounds easy enough, but actually doing it is way too counter-intuitive for my tastes.)

As for outputs, if you open up Reaktor standalone, you can configure audio in and outputs as well as latency. As far as I know, it will still use those outputs in VSTi mode.

[This message has been edited by Cloakboy (edited 09-06-2002).]

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online