SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#50708 - 01/03/05 12:49 AM Adjusting accompaniment part volume
Peter Lowden Offline

Loc: England
Firstly i'd like to wish all a very healthy and happy new year.

Since owning the KN7000 i've never really understood why I cannot adjust the volume of individual accompaniment parts, not within the main mixer screen, but within the more in depth composer Part setting screens as outlined in the manual on page 114.

For instance: Many times I've wanted to use the intro or ending accompaniment parts from one style before using the rest of a certain style, I've copied the intro / ending parts and everything saves and plays correctly, except the part volume balances, these volume adjustments are not saved and they are still too loud in relation to the rest of the style parts

Hope the above I've explained enough

I'd be greatful for any help

Kind regards to all

Peter Loudon

#50709 - 01/03/05 03:06 AM Re: Adjusting accompaniment part volume
Flyer Offline

Loc: Teddington,UK.
Hi Peter,
Why not use the main mixer screen?These settings can all be saved in PM's.
In composer,go to part balance on the recording page,there you can adjust individual part volumes which should be saved with your pattern.
Hope this helps,Happy New Year!
David.

#50710 - 01/03/05 04:02 AM Re: Adjusting accompaniment part volume
Peter Lowden Offline

Hi David,

Happy new year to you also. Thanks for the reply.

When you adjust accompaniment parts in the main mixer window, it adjusts the volume balance throughout the entire performance / style.

Sometimes when you copy a style part ie: an intro, it's volume levels are higher or lower than what you exactly want, Like you I feel the correct method is to go to Composer part balance, but somehow i'm unable to get the altered levels to take effect. Even if I reduce the acc parts of the style down to 0 volume, once i'm back playing the style the volumes are unaltered. I'm sure it's just a matter of me doing something wrong, but i'm at a loss as to what.

Kind regards

Peter

#50711 - 01/03/05 05:15 AM Re: Adjusting accompaniment part volume
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
When you adjust accompaniment parts in the main mixer window, it adjusts the volume balance throughout the entire performance / style.

Hi Peter
One way to get round this problem is:-
Program Menus>Composer>'A''B' or 'C'> Intro>OK>Bass(or any part)>Part Setting>then change the 'Balance' number. 0 is the loudest setting and -127 is silent. You can alter each or all parts this way. It's a bit trial and error but it doesnt take too long and providing you save the composer style, you'll have your edited intro (or whatever) within that style whenever you need it.
John

#50712 - 01/03/05 05:31 AM Re: Adjusting accompaniment part volume
Sandgroper Offline

Loc: Busselton, Western Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Lowden:
Hi David,

Happy new year to you also. Thanks for the reply.

Sometimes when you copy a style part ie: an intro, it's volume levels are higher or lower than what you exactly want, Like you I feel the correct method is to go to Composer part balance, but somehow i'm unable to get the altered levels to take effect. Even if I reduce the acc parts of the style down to 0 volume, once i'm back playing the style the volumes are unaltered. I'm sure it's just a matter of me doing something wrong, but i'm at a loss as to what.

Kind regards

Peter

Hi Peter
To quote the old song " Youve got the right Key but your working on the wrong keyhole "
or to put it another way the bit you need is not part balance but part setting, the function just under part balance in the composer section where you have been trying.
In this page you will find headings of things that can be changed, including another place for setting " Part Balance"
( confusing at first I know ) In this part setting you are working in percentage values ( I think ) but just to confuse things farther a value of 0 is actually the loudest setting and the higher the number the softer the sound. I know it sounds complicated, but belive me, once you get the hang of it you can work wonders. I never knew what this section was for until Alec Pagida answered someones query, on this forum I think, some time ago. You can adjust each part individually, start with the part that's too loud ( or soft ) and work on that first, but don't forget to save each alteration by pressing OK before going on to the next part. I also found this section helpful for boosting the drums & bass where needed. If by any chance the D & B are already set at 0 ( loudest ) just raise the numeric settings of the other parts ( this makes them quieter, trust me ) and you will have a better balanced sound.
Hope this hasn't totaly confused you, it did me when I first tried it but boy, was it worth it.
Regards
Eddie

#50713 - 01/03/05 06:24 AM Re: Adjusting accompaniment part volume
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
This one of those bits of help that needs to be recorded somewhere maybe like Cees Tips and Tricks - what do reckon Cees?
Roger M

#50714 - 01/03/05 07:17 AM Re: Adjusting accompaniment part volume
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Peter,
Happy new year to you and all our Synthzone members.
You should find the answer to your problem on my website 'Tech Tips' page - Tip number 9, toward the end of the document. http://mysite.freeserve.com/willumspages/index.html

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#50715 - 01/03/05 08:42 AM Re: Adjusting accompaniment part volume
Peter Lowden Offline

WOW!!! For two years+ i've had my KN7000 and always thought it was something I was doing wrong, I didn't want to appear a fool by asking anyone, what was probably the obvious. The altering of volumes in accompaniment parts is the strangest i've ever come accross on a keyboard.

THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR HELP

Just out of curiosity does anyone know why there is a Part balance tab? Does this part balance section allow you to do anything with sound balance or is it there just to cause confussion?

Kind regards

Peter

#50716 - 01/03/05 08:45 AM Re: Adjusting accompaniment part volume
Peter Lowden Offline

WOW!!! For two years+ i've had my KN7000 and always thought it was something I was doing wrong, I didn't want to appear a fool by asking anyone, what was probably the obvious. The altering of volumes in accompaniment parts is the strangest i've ever come accross on a keyboard.

Just out of curiosity does anyone know why there is a Part balance tab? Does this part balance section allow you to do anything with sound balance or is it there just to cause confussion?

Kind regards

Peter

#50717 - 01/03/05 06:04 PM Re: Adjusting accompaniment part volume
Sandgroper Offline

Loc: Busselton, Western Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Lowden:

Kind regards

Peter

Hi again Peter,
Yes, the part balance tab in the composer section does help, insofar as it enables you to change things such as instruments or phrasing and then balance the sound,( as a sort of preview), without leaving the composer.
Happy New Year to all
Regards
Eddie

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online