SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#506716 - 10/05/22 01:04 PM E 80 Aftertouch
Terrysutt Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Although I`ve never used the aftertouch function of the E80,I thought I`d give it a try.I set the parameter for upper 1, with modulation as the aftertouch.I`ve tried different instruments but nothing happens with any.The only other parameter in the manual is cut off frequency,is this set or does it have to be adjusted,if so ,how?

#506727 - 10/06/22 12:06 PM Re: E 80 Aftertouch [Re: Terrysutt]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You need to see if the sound modulates (gets vibrato) using the lever in the first place.

If it does, setting the aftertouch destination to modulation should get you vibrato when you press the key down harder. I presume you’ve tried just pressing the key hard by itself? The force needed may be fairly high. But if the sound doesn’t get vibrato from the lever, aftertouch won’t help.

I think there’s a test routine in the service manual that could check whether it’s working correctly.

To be honest, I found the aftertouch on arrangers not that useful. You are usually playing with both hands, and it can be tough to use accurately (there’s a tendency for it to come in unwanted if you get frisky and play hard) and you have to be careful about pressing hard occasionally with the LH, because the pressure sensor runs the entire length of the action. It doesn’t have a separate sensor for each note.

The G70’s action was quite different to the E80’s, so I can’t comment about the default ‘weight’ of the aftertouch, but it was quite a bit heavier than my G1000, and they also dropped my favorite aftertouch destination, LFO speed. The G70/E80 could only modulate LFO depth. There’s something very organic sounding about a vibrato that changes speed slightly as it’s depth increases. You could slow the factory vibrato speed a hair so you got a light slow vibrato that got faster (slightly!) as it got stronger. Nirvana!

If you’ve gone over p.70 in the E80 manual, you’ve set it up correctly. Perhaps you need to press harder if the sound does engage vibrato with the lever…?

#506728 - 10/06/22 12:21 PM Re: E 80 Aftertouch [Re: Diki]
Terrysutt Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Thanks Diki,I`ll double check page 70 to see if I missed something and try a few different parameters.

#506742 - 10/07/22 12:06 PM Re: E 80 Aftertouch [Re: Terrysutt]
Diki Offline

As the BK9 doesn’t have aftertouch, I’ve had to find a workaround. But it will also work for the E80 if you find aftertouch difficult to control:

Edit the solo voice to have vibrato (bring up the depth control in voice edit) then add the delay so it only comes in after a while. How long kinda depends on the tune, but you’ll get a feel for it. This way, you can play quick passages without the vibrato, and it will only come in on longer held notes, which is kind of what a horn or string player would do.

If you get the aftertouch working, you can still combine the two methods, so if you want the vibrato immediately press harder, if you just want the normal delay let the delayed LFO do its thing… 🎹😎

#506799 - 10/13/22 07:23 AM Re: E 80 Aftertouch [Re: Terrysutt]
Diki Offline

Any luck, Terry?

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online