SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#50663 - 01/23/04 03:56 AM One for Alec Please
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
I have recorded a sequence using Realtime record and wish to dynamically change the volume level on one of the tracks (Track 6 Part 6). I have carefully followed the procedure on Pages 34 / 35 of 'How Do I Do That' but still have a problem.
I copied Track 6 to unused Track 11 and then started the Realtime recording process, with Track 11 selected to 'Record'. During the recording, I changed the volume level on Track 11. Both volume sliders responded as expected, in the Mixer and Track 11 showed that it was assigned to the same voice as Track 6.
However, when the sequence is played back, the volume levels do not change. I have repeated the process several times without success. I'm sure I managed to carry out this process successfully on my KN6000 - is the KN7000 any different? or am I missing something here?

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#50664 - 01/23/04 04:09 AM Re: One for Alec Please
Geoff-S Offline

Loc: Wakefield
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
I have recorded a sequence using Realtime record and wish to dynamically change the volume level on one of the tracks (Track 6 Part 6). I have carefully followed the procedure on Pages 34 / 35 of 'How Do I Do That' but still have a problem.
I copied Track 6 to unused Track 11 and then started the Realtime recording process, with Track 11 selected to 'Record'. During the recording, I changed the volume level on Track 11. Both volume sliders responded as expected, in the Mixer and Track 11 showed that it was assigned to the same voice as Track 6.
However, when the sequence is played back, the volume levels do not change. I have repeated the process several times without success. I'm sure I managed to carry out this process successfully on my KN6000 - is the KN7000 any different? or am I missing something here?

I think that it may have something to do with not being a control track. on previous versions it would record control messages as well as the notes. I found that on the KN7k it will not do that. What about setting another track as a control track (if it will allow you to do that) and recording the changes along with the other tracks as before.
can't try it because i'm at work but let us know Bill.

#50665 - 01/23/04 05:10 AM Re: One for Alec Please
technicsplayer Offline

no, you don't need a control track since it also works in Technics multi-recording and GM recording. It also does work with easy recording on the 7k, but since Willum is playing track 6 I assume this is not an easy recording:

If track 6 is part 6 real-time record it.
Then copy and paste, track copy, 6 to 11, ok.
Record & edit, realtime record track 11, go to mixer track 11, start, adjust, stop recording.
Copy and paste, track merge, 6 + 11 -> 6, ok.
Now it plays correctly and track 11 will be empty.
Optional step to re-use track 11, record & edit, track assign, track 11 back to part 11.

#50666 - 01/23/04 06:23 AM Re: One for Alec Please
Bill Norrie Offline

Thanks Geoff and Alec

Geoff, as Alec says, it doesn't need to be a control track. As far as I understand it, the track volume control data is recorded as part of the actual total track data. So, if you record a track and manage to alter the volume slider while you are playing (bit difficult!) then this will be recorded as part of the performance.

Alec, you are correct in assuming that the recording was not done in Easy Record - all done in Realtime record. The procedure I followed was exactly as you describe in your reply, with one exception. I did not Merge track 11 to track 6. Having done so, the volume changes now work OK.
The problem with having to carry out the Merge operation is that once it is done, it is not possible to Undo the change to Track 6, without re-recording it. This means that you cannot audition or correct any volume changes which have been made on Track 11, before committing them as a final edit to track 6.
What I cannot understand is, if the volume change data has been recorded in Track 11, as is confirmed when merging Track 11 with Track 6, then why is it not effective on playback of Track 11, before merging?
I may be wrong, but I seem to remember that the volume changes could be observed before merging, on the KN6000? This would seem to be confirmed by the text on Page 35 of 'HDIDT', which states "... Now there is no reason why you can't just leave it at that. But let's be tidy. Menu / Sequencer / Copy and Paste / Track Merge etc...." which would suggest that the volume changes should be effective and observable before merging.

------------------
Willum

[This message has been edited by Bill Norrie (edited 01-23-2004).]

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

#50667 - 01/23/04 07:56 AM Re: One for Alec Please
technicsplayer Offline

no, preview and edit before merging can be done on 7k, there may be something else not mentioned in your setup.
try this;

Initialise.
Record & edit, track assign, preset, technics multi recording, ok.
Exit, exit, record & edit, realtime record, track 6, record and stop.
Then exit, exit, copy and paste, track copy, 6 to 11, ok.
Exit, exit, record & edit, realtime record, track 11, go to mixer track 11, start, adjust, stop recording.

now it will play back with all your volume changes, if you go to step record they are all on track 11, not on track 6, and can be edited there before merging.

#50668 - 01/23/04 08:49 AM Re: One for Alec Please
Bill Norrie Offline

Thanks again Alec. I don't want to re-record Track 6 The whole recorded sequence is finished, but I just want to change the volume level within certain sections of Track 6, in real time, whilst listening to the sequence. In some sections of the tune, the voice on Track 6 tends to be out of balance with voices on the other tracks, so it's really a 'post recording' balancing job.

------------------
Willum

Aldous Huxley

#50669 - 01/23/04 09:06 AM Re: One for Alec Please
Bill Norrie Offline

I've just had a look at Track 11 using 'Step Record' and sure enough, all the volume change codes are present. They are the only entries on Track 11 as would be expected, but when playing the sequence, the volume control is not affected!!

------------------
Willum

Aldous Huxley

#50670 - 01/23/04 03:30 PM Re: One for Alec Please
technicsplayer Offline

the example is not there to re-record the song Willum, just to prove that it can be done and does work. Look again at your setup to see where any differences are, say in track assignments etc. If not mail me the sequence and I'll try and see what's up

#50671 - 01/23/04 04:30 PM Re: One for Alec Please
Bill Norrie Offline

Thanks for your patience Alec.......I misunderstood your reply
As you said, it had to be something within the set-up and I've found the culprit
On the 'Track Assign' Page, Track 11 had the 'Local Control' set to 'OFF'. Changed it to 'ON' and Voila!! I won't forget that one in a hurry........
Thanks again Alec - Have a Cyber Pint on me

------------------
Willum

Aldous Huxley

#50672 - 01/23/04 05:17 PM Re: One for Alec Please
technicsplayer Offline

excellent Willum! you must admit there is a logical reason for most things, often sorted quite easily without having to shift the blame to anyone else

#50673 - 01/24/04 02:59 AM Re: One for Alec Please
Bill Norrie Offline

Yep! Agreed - final comment fully understood.......

Aldous Huxley

#50674 - 01/24/04 03:39 AM Re: One for Alec Please
technicsplayer Offline

thanks, Willum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online