Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#506041 - 06/27/22 12:29 PM Re: It's in the DNA [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA

#506042 - 06/27/22 02:42 PM Re: It's in the DNA [Re: cgiles]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
HOLY CRAP!! Wow-what a treat the ladies are easy on the eyes too.

I checked out his performances of "I'm A Man" and "Gimme Some Lovin." YUP it's in the DNA.

#506043 - 06/27/22 03:05 PM Re: It's in the DNA [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Speaking of treats, great to see you here, Steve. Hard to come by a friendly face these days. If you're still in touch with TonyMads, give him my fondest regards.

chas

#506044 - 06/27/22 05:49 PM Re: It's in the DNA [Re: cgiles]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Thanks, Chas! Yes, I'm in touch with TonyMads on a regular basis and will send your regards.

#506045 - 06/28/22 02:26 AM Re: It's in the DNA [Re: cgiles]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
A friend of mine, who happens to be American and also was a professor at my college likes music like this as it is "ecstatic". In Russia we tend to think that we know American music because there's a lot of music with English words, but in fact we know mostly what is internationally promoted. As for more authentic country, or soul music, it's indeed more foreign for an average listener. Certainly, for a decent musician it's not hard to immitate any music, but it is still hard not to be fake. In the same time, as my friend explains, it seems that now musicians are very open-minded and different cultures can overlap quite well; while an average young listener is more focused on today's popular genres and doesn't really care about "old" music like Blues and if it has anything to do with his roots, etc. Maybe it's up to professionals to keep these genres alive rather than to specific cultures, as today we seem to live in one big uncertain culture; of course, there are some new borders, prejudices, music reflects it as weel, but I won't be discussing it here.

#506051 - 06/29/22 12:35 PM Re: It's in the DNA [Re: cgiles]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Great stuff. So much better than the music pushing on the public today. I'm glad there is a lot of musicians going for this style and others rather than the hit single formulas. Thanks

#506052 - 06/29/22 01:32 PM Re: It's in the DNA [Re: Bill Lewis]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
I'm glad there is a lot of musicians going for this style and others rather than the hit single formulas.

AMEN! Sadly, you rarely see it anywhere except in clubs and/or small boutique concerts. Hardly ever on radio, DJ playlists, or pop charts. The public seems to prefer the 'trend' to the 'art'. We've become so desensitized that we can't recognize real emotion even when it smacks us in the face. Oh well...

chas

#506058 - 06/30/22 12:13 PM Re: It's in the DNA [Re: cgiles]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I wonder what music their kids listen to will elicit the perennial ‘it’s got no soul compared to what I used to listen to!’ from today’s kids after they grow up? 😂

You live long enough, you get to hear the same complaints every few decades…

#506061 - 06/30/22 01:31 PM Re: It's in the DNA [Re: Diki]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
Originally Posted By Diki
I wonder what music their kids listen to will elicit the perennial ‘it’s got no soul compared to what I used to listen to!’ from today’s kids after they grow up? 😂

You live long enough, you get to hear the same complaints every few decades…

It's not a simple matter to discuss. At my home my parents never listened to Soviet music, so I had to discover it on my own. Trying to study songwriting I tried to listen different music and stay open-minded. I have to conclude that there were a lot of songs written by very talented composers and poets; I also have to admit that with their songs they tried to bring up some kindness in people, admiration, to unite soulful and intellectual. American popular music of that time is also sophisticated, songs like "Night and Day", "My Happy Valentine"; songs like "The Girl From Ipanema...", "My Way"; European music like ABBA, or Joe Dassin was popular worldwide; it was not particularly in trends when I was growing up, but it was always available; and while it was loved and accepted, it always contained something sophisticated inside, basically, it tried to meet certain ethical and aesthetic standards. Certainly, when all those songs appeared there was another mainstream with a lot of mediocre stuff, which just has been filtered out by time.

But it also important to consider that young people need some soundtrack for their lives, which would be of their own, like some kind of a marker. Music is very personal and psychological thing, and it is also a reflection of what's going on, so if it reflects some confusion, hatred and aggression, perhaps we shouldn't blame the songs, but to think of it as of communication.

Nevertheless, it looks now that a total freedom and rules of a free market don't always bring harmony. Actually, it's not a fact that such things exist; not a secret that there are monopolies, oligopolies, such as recording companies and now things like YouTube which have a lot of leverage.

At some point it's up to us (everyone) to promote, to impose music which we feel is valuable. If a person just relies on content which is suggested by a service, or which is considered to be "in trends", I believe that he will be fed, but won't be truly satisfied.

Sometimes what's popular is indeed quite good. I watched recent Star Wars franchise "Obi-Wan Kenobi", even if the story is simple, the music and the acting are charming. There's also a popular TV series "Stranger Things". In the same time, both these shows are in fact "retro" in one way or another; so these examples are controversial.

I think that today there is such a problem as informational overload; availability is no longer a problem, but making a choice - this is when it gets complicated.

If you feel that there's something wrong... I think you might be right, and it's not that you just aren't catching up with the trend. I think it is the reality we are dealing with regardless of our ages.

Edited by Kabinopus (06/30/22 01:32 PM)

#506080 - 07/04/22 01:31 PM Re: It's in the DNA [Re: cgiles]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
It is the job of current popular music to dismay and shock the previous couple of generations!

The thing we forget is that we mostly chose the cherished and respected music of OUR generation because it too shocked and dismayed our parents and grandparents (especially them!) at the time…

The Beatles? Trash…! Bob Dylan? A hack…! The Rolling Stones? Dirty criminals..!

Only time gives respectability. Who knows? One day the Beastie Boys will be considered classical music! Spock thought so… 😂

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online