SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#505305 - 03/29/22 01:27 PM Re: Just 'noodling' [Re: Anthony Johnson]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Anthony Johnson
I got Mike Reed's name wrong earlier and wrote Read.
Lots of his stuff on You Tube but this one is unusual
not modern standard video though.
https://youtu.be/edOkA_elHCw

Just goes to show what and interesting and innovative instrument a Hammond organ can be in different hands. Sounds like you may be a fan of the 'fast hands' club (so am I). If so, check out one of my favorite Rock/Blues organists, the incomparable Lachy Doley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N-4f_Z-nqo&ab_channel=LachyDoley

chas

#505306 - 03/29/22 01:38 PM Re: Just 'noodling' [Re: travlin'easy]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy

Chas, you have some magic fingers that seem to glide over those B3 keys. You are very highly talented and skilled on that B3.

All the best,

Gary cool

Thanks Gary, but as Bill Lewis, Bernie, Russ, and a few other old organ plunkers around here will tell you, a lot of the 'goodness' coming out of a Hammond organ has to do with the Expression pedal (not to be confused with a volume pedal). They don't call it an EXPRESSION pedal for nothing. That's one reason most organ bits done on a synth, workstation, or arranger, leave me a bit cold; because they usually are NOT hooked up to an expression pedal. JMO.

chas

#505310 - 03/29/22 05:52 PM Re: Just 'noodling' [Re: cgiles]
zuki Offline

Very nice Chas. Glad you are in the saddle and enjoying! Makes me want to get a B3, which I played for years. Miss the pedals.

Enjoyable smile

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#505312 - 03/30/22 12:10 AM Re: Just 'noodling' [Re: cgiles]
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
Enjoyed Lachy Doley's fast hands number and also his Whiter Shade.
I fully agree that no arranger can get close to a real Hammond which is one of my frustrations.
Yamaha's YC keyboard with the 1.2 upgrade gets much closer than a Genos but the real ting is still best.

#505315 - 03/30/22 01:40 AM Re: Just 'noodling' [Re: cgiles]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Now that was fun. I am happy to see some action on our beloved forum. I shall try and do my part in some small way. Besides the long history, this forum has a much better format in my opinion. Viva La Synth Zone

Bernie

#505317 - 03/30/22 03:26 AM Re: Just 'noodling' [Re: Bernie9]
Giovanni Offline

Loc: Norwich Norfolk England
WOW what a find thanks so much for sharing .............just brilliant what a talent

#505321 - 03/30/22 10:49 AM Re: Just 'noodling' [Re: cgiles]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Now THAT’S ‘entertainment’, Chas!

About the only critique I’d give it is that it’s a hair dry by American jazz B3 standards, and WAY dry by European standards! 😂

That old spring reverb through the Leslie is part of the sound, and fundamental to it over the pond..! It’s the ‘fog’ of that foggy day… 😎

#505323 - 03/30/22 04:10 PM Re: Just 'noodling' [Re: cgiles]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Sounds great. Classic organ playing at its best. I know there are a lot of diehards but the clones are getting better all the time. Post more !
dance2

#505325 - 03/30/22 06:58 PM Re: Just 'noodling' [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Thanks Bill. This is my KeyB Duo Mk111 which is my favorite. Still have the Pk7a pedals on it. I have the newer Legend EXP as well but I (and some others) think the older KeyB sounds more authentic (Phattt-er). I have the Legend module midi'd to my old Nord C1 which makes the absolute PERFECT controller for it. I sold the C2D. The organ in my NC2x kinda sucks (but has a nice piano).

Diki thought the organ sound needed more reverb and I usually always listen to him. I never owned a 122R or 147RV, etc., so I'm probably more used to the 'dry' sound. However, since the KeyB has a built-in reverb (and a pretty good one), I turned it up a bit to see if I thought it improved the sound. I'm ......conflicted smile smile. Maybe another hair or two. Kind of subjective, I suppose. Anyhow, watching guys like Joey D. or Lachy Doley if you're into 'rock' organ (I am), will definitely keep you humble smile smile.

chas

#505330 - 03/31/22 04:59 AM Re: Just 'noodling' [Re: cgiles]
organgrinder Offline

Loc: ft. lauderdale, florida
Just a lite moment, you guys are beginning to sound like STAR WARS--
THE CLONE WARS. Sorry I couldn't resist
MEL

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online