SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#505287 - 03/29/22 06:12 AM Just 'noodling'
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
My 'friends' across the pond will probably hate this smile smile. I love the sound of my clonewheel, I think it captures the sound of the B3 pretty well. I'm going to try recording something on my new $99 VSTi, B3x, as soon as I get around to attaching and calibrating an expression pedal on my 2-controller setup.

https://app.box.com/s/b2ssh5prmjjjh56tnopibu8896k0zdnn

chas

#505289 - 03/29/22 06:50 AM Re: Just 'noodling' [Re: cgiles]
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
I enjoyed listening to that chas and like many over here, like to hear any clonewheel type stuff.
from what you said, I wonder if you think that the Hammond sound is not popular over here but, I can assure you that, I and many of my friends love them. Unfortunately, none of them left in the pubs now where I live.
I often spend time listening to Mike Read on You Tube and that guy can make a Hammond talk.

#505290 - 03/29/22 09:38 AM Re: Just 'noodling' [Re: Anthony Johnson]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Walk it, dude! Man, I wish we had connected years ago.

KILLER!

R.

#505291 - 03/29/22 09:41 AM Re: Just 'noodling' [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Sounds great, Chas. Keep em coming.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#505293 - 03/29/22 09:56 AM Re: Just 'noodling' [Re: cgiles]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Coincidently I have been fully immersing myself on this tune for the last few week weeks. Sinatra and Ella, and I've transcribed a bit of Red Garland too.

I will add your superb version Chas for further study!

On a side note, I always wondered what Brits thought of this tune too. I've been to London on two separate occasions- first time as a child and second time as an adult, , and strangely enough each time it was hot and sunny. I was actually hoping for some fog!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#505296 - 03/29/22 10:03 AM Re: Just 'noodling' [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Offline

I too have been to London a couple times, when I was in the US Navy, and it was the dead of winter, foggy and bitter cold every morning. Never been there during the summer months, though I wish I had been.

The weather in London couldn't colder than it has been here this winter, and today's high here in Maryland is just 31 degrees. It was 20 degrees f when I got out of bed to take care of Carol. Brrrrrrrrrrr! I consider any temperature lower than my age the dead of winter, but that's because I'm an old codger and love swaying coconut palms and turquoise colored ocean water.

All the best,

Gary cool

#505297 - 03/29/22 10:53 AM Re: Just 'noodling' [Re: travlin'easy]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
I too have been to London a couple times, when I was in the US Navy, and it was the dead of winter, foggy and bitter cold every morning. Never been there during the summer months, though I wish I had been.

The weather in London couldn't colder than it has been here this winter, and today's high here in Maryland is just 31 degrees. It was 20 degrees f when I got out of bed to take care of Carol. Brrrrrrrrrrr! I consider any temperature lower than my age the dead of winter, but that's because I'm an old codger and love swaying coconut palms and turquoise colored ocean water.

All the best,

Gary cool

Yes, oddly enough they were experiencing record breaking heat waves when I was visiting London, which really wasn't that bad for this Texan.

We are currently experiencing our typical "bipolar" sprig weather here in Texas. Just in the last few weeks we had to close the schools due to ice, then we had a destructive tornado come through, and now temperatures approaching 90 , very windy, and unfortunately wild fires are popping up in the country side.

Sorry to get off topic Chas!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#505298 - 03/29/22 11:04 AM Re: Just 'noodling' [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
70 degrees here, Gary. You need to leave that Artic wasteland smile and move down here where it's warm smile. And Russ, if we'd connected earlier, I'd probably know a lot more cool chords, transitions, turnarounds, etc. smile. Anthony, I knew 'organ' was popular in most of Europe but I didn't think my type of organ playing (Jimmy Smith/walking bass/88800000/etc.) was especially popular there. Fact is, it's very 'Niche' here and not practiced by very many performers. Luckily for me, I grew up (musically) during an era of great jazz organist and they made a lasting impression on me. And Paul, I jam with (among others) a guitar player who's of Eastern European origin but who absolutely loves and specializes in Latin music. He is beyond brilliant and I can't really keep up with him but I sure learn a lot and am slowly getting fairly proficient in certain (but not all) Latin styles. I've gained a lot of respect for the beauty and complexity of Latin rhythms.

I experimented with emulating various instruments on my many arrangers, synths, and workstations, but after Diki (correctly) pointed out that Sax players don't play that way (this was a few years ago), and listening to Don Mason play simulated guitar, and Capt Russ play REAL guitar, I slowly went back to just basically playing organ (and a little piano, and a LOT of Rhodes after I got my Crumar SEVEN). These days it's almost exclusively Organ and Rhodes. I also have fun experimenting with VSTi's. But hey, it's all MUSIC. I say 'do it your way'.

chas (the long-winded)

#505301 - 03/29/22 12:39 PM Re: Just 'noodling' [Re: cgiles]
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
I got Mike Reed's name wrong earlier and wrote Read.
Lots of his stuff on You Tube but this one is unusual
not modern standard video though.
https://youtu.be/edOkA_elHCw

#505302 - 03/29/22 12:52 PM Re: Just 'noodling' [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Offline

Unfortunately, Chas, my wife refused to move to the Florida Keys when we could have way back in 1968. I got a job offer from a cardiology group in Marathon Key, Florida, they would have paid me 3 times what I was making at University of Maryland Hospital, plus provided with a full partnership opportunity in the practice. My loving spouse refused to move, mainly because her family and friends lived here in the frozen north of Maryland and she didn't want to be that far away from them. At that point we had only been married just over 5 years, therefore, I acquiesced to her demands. Now, she wishes she were there.:)

Chas, you have some magic fingers that seem to glide over those B3 keys. You are very highly talented and skilled on that B3.

All the best,

Gary cool

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online