SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#505286 - 03/29/22 02:59 AM Digging Deeper On Your Arrangers?
MusicalMemories Offline

Loc: Arbroath,Angus,Scotland
How many of you like to go beyond just playing your arranger keyboards?

Learning how to change effects, and tweak edit sounds and styles etc?

#505288 - 03/29/22 06:38 AM Re: Digging Deeper On Your Arrangers? [Re: MusicalMemories]
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
I have always done this because no one wants to sound the same as everyone else.
Can be a very enjoyable pastime on some keyboards but very much like hard work on others.
I loved changing things especially on my Technics KN7000 where it was easy to go really deep.
My present board is the Genos and I do make changes But don't have as much success when cutting & slicing styles and I often decide that it's more work than I want to do.
That's mainly because you can't work in a global kind of way on the Genos and have to keep repeating your actions over and over.
I never play anything on presets without at least altering volume balances and drum levels on all tracks.
It all becomes a bit harder with aging eyes and shaking fingers as we get older.

#505292 - 03/29/22 09:48 AM Re: Digging Deeper On Your Arrangers? [Re: MusicalMemories]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I love digging into the bowels of the keyboard, discovering things that I can relay to others on the various forums I frequent. I currently own a Yamaha S-950, which will likely be the last keyboard I will purchase. Unfortunately, I too know about the failing eyesight (macular degeneration) and shaky fingers (distal neuropathy of the hands and lower body parts) which makes doing things you took for granted a real challenge.

I have always said that 90 percent of the arrange keyboard players, at least the ones that I know, never take the user manual out of the Zip-Loc bag that it came in. Then, when they cannot solve a problem, their next step is Google. wink

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#505295 - 03/29/22 09:59 AM Re: Digging Deeper On Your Arrangers? [Re: MusicalMemories]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By MusicalMemories
How many of you like to go beyond just playing your arranger keyboards?

Learning how to change effects, and tweak edit sounds and styles etc?

Like to? No, not really, but I do so to get the desired results. I wish the damn thing could just read my mind and adjust to my needs. But until that happens luckily I know a few talented guys like Gary Diamond who is always willing to help me out!

Edited by montunoman (03/29/22 10:03 AM)

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#505299 - 03/29/22 11:25 AM Re: Digging Deeper On Your Arrangers? [Re: montunoman]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
yes,no,maybe. I've been under the weather since covid started and haven't done as much as I want. Also seems to tkae me forever to learn most anything if I don't mess with it every day. Took forever to figure out registrations!

#505300 - 03/29/22 11:27 AM Re: Digging Deeper On Your Arrangers? [Re: travlin'easy]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By travlin'easy

I have always said that 90 percent of the arrange keyboard players, at least the ones that I know, never take the user manual out of the Zip-Loc bag that it came in. Then, when they cannot solve a problem, their next step is Google. wink

Gary cool

Gary, have you been spying on me? smile smile

chas

#505303 - 03/29/22 12:54 PM Re: Digging Deeper On Your Arrangers? [Re: MusicalMemories]
travlin'easy Offline

Earl, as you are aware, registrations are a bit complex, but they are a great tool that permits you to accomplish a lot things with a single push of a button.

All the best,

Gary cool

#505307 - 03/29/22 01:46 PM Re: Digging Deeper On Your Arrangers? [Re: travlin'easy]
organgrinder Offline

Loc: ft. lauderdale, florida
It seems like my fellow keyboard players down here in ft.Lauderdale fl. love to call me and ask lots of questions about their boards. Then they will give up and bring it to my home and let me set it up for them. I am happy to do so but they always ask me how I know these things and I always say " I READ THE BOOK". The next time they need something they just come back. It's a nice way to make friends.
MEL

#505308 - 03/29/22 03:08 PM Re: Digging Deeper On Your Arrangers? [Re: MusicalMemories]
travlin'easy Offline

I know what you are saying, Mel. At one time I had a dozen fellow keyboard players coming here once a week for me to show them how to make registrations and make their own, custom MFD. Unfortunately, several have passed away during the past few years, so the phone only rings about once or twice a week for me to solve their problems.

Good luck,

Gary cool

#505309 - 03/29/22 04:17 PM Re: Digging Deeper On Your Arrangers? [Re: MusicalMemories]
MusicalMemories Offline

Loc: Arbroath,Angus,Scotland
Take the drum tracks of styles, up to now I have been leaving the drum tracks dry with no reverb. But I’ve noticed from reading that with Motown music that a delay would have been added.

Most of the modern arrangers have a wealth of different reverb effects and other effects that can be added to styles and sounds.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online