SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#504859 - 02/06/22 08:19 AM Roland E-A7 sounds quality
Yul Offline

Hello!

I am looking for an all in one keyboard to work away from the computer when I want.

My main interest is in acoustic, prch, electro, keys and drums. I like synth sounds yes but my PC will always outshine for most part.

The EA7 arranger is still being sold and the overall package seems ok.

Can anyone commeny on sound quality? There is very little detail about the PCM set used on this board.

How would the sounds compare in quality to JV or XV sounds? What about Juno DS?

I know it is not the most recent soundset and there is no Supernatural voices.

Yet there are many positive comments about this board especially of you make your own sounds. Otoh many are also dissing as bad sound quality.

I read the Triton sounded better which to me is a bad sign since Triton is quite compressed.

Some are comparing it to pa-600 even to a Pa-4x which is mindboggling since these boards clearly sound different.

Any commenys welcome.

Edited by Yul (02/06/22 10:13 AM)

#504873 - 02/07/22 07:06 AM Re: Roland E-A7 sounds quality [Re: Yul]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Hopefully you can actually try one in a store to see/hear if it's a good fit for you.

Sometimes that's impossible, and if that the case, I would order from a store that has a generous return policy.

Other than that, check out all the YouTube videos you can, and read some more reviews.

Hopefully someone here has some first hand knowledge of this keyboard.

Good luck!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#504878 - 02/07/22 10:16 AM Re: Roland E-A7 sounds quality [Re: montunoman]
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Bruno (John) owned an E-A7 if I'm not mistaken.

#504879 - 02/07/22 12:01 PM Re: Roland E-A7 sounds quality [Re: Yul]
Crossover Offline

I'm very confident that the acoustic sounds of the E-A7 are way, way superior to the old JV and also XV samples that are standard samples from the 1990s and millenium. From all demos I listened to and briefly browsing though some sounds myself at a store a few years ago, the E-A7 is probably a combination of SonicCell sounds derived from the Fantom X and newer and many sounds created for the Roland Europe arranger line (E80, BK series). These are far superior to the old JV and XV sounds, which could nowhere compete in today's arrangers.

#504883 - 02/07/22 01:44 PM Re: Roland E-A7 sounds quality [Re: Yul]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Is the E-A7 backward compatible? Will it play styles from the G-70 and other Roland arrangers? Other factors to consider is support, since Roland seems to have abandon the arranger keyboard, and third party files availability.
The dual screen looks like it may be useful, and the demos on YouTube sound great.
Good luck in your decision, didn't Diki have one? Speaking of...???

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#504884 - 02/07/22 03:03 PM Re: Roland E-A7 sounds quality [Re: lahawk]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By lahawk
Is the E-A7 backward compatible? Will it play styles from the G-70 and other Roland arrangers? ....

BK-9 do play G-70 styles, so my guess is that E-A7 is backward compatible as well. 👍
Btw, not seen moderator Diki comment anything for some time now? 🤔
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#504888 - 02/08/22 05:04 AM Re: Roland E-A7 sounds quality [Re: Yul]
Dnj Offline

#504889 - 02/08/22 06:42 AM Re: Roland E-A7 sounds quality [Re: Crossover]
Yul Offline

Originally Posted By Crossover
I'm very confident that the acoustic sounds of the E-A7 are way, way superior to the old JV and also XV samples that are standard samples from the 1990s and millenium. From all demos I listened to and briefly browsing though some sounds myself at a store a few years ago, the E-A7 is probably a combination of SonicCell sounds derived from the Fantom X and newer and many sounds created for the Roland Europe arranger line (E80, BK series). These are far superior to the old JV and XV sounds, which could nowhere compete in today's arrangers.

Hello all and thanks for your responses.

Appreciate the feedback I was confused as the most recent Fantom and Zenology/Core use the XV PCM as a core of the sound. I do realize now that the E-A7 is based off of a different set of sounds (Bk, Sonic Cell, SRX etc).

I appreciate the youtube links yes I have seen them but can't help to think some of them are sounding a bit canned (the Bonners one are quite OK actually).

Can anyone please confirm that all sounds are editable (onboard or via external software). i.e. envelopes, oscs, detuning, filters, fx etc?

Thanks!

Edited by Yul (02/08/22 06:43 AM)

#504890 - 02/08/22 06:58 AM Re: Roland E-A7 sounds quality [Re: Yul]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Yul
[quote=Crossover]
Can anyone please confirm that all sounds are editable (onboard or via external software). i.e. envelopes, oscs, detuning, filters, fx etc?
Thanks!

Judging by your post I would say your better off going the
synth/ workstation route to do what you need...The New Roland Fantom can easily do all your asking here the workflow is amazing. or even the Korg Kronos/Nautlas,M ontage etc.. .....
I just bought one truly an amazing unit. Good luck

Edited by Dnj (02/08/22 07:03 AM)

#504891 - 02/08/22 07:40 AM Re: Roland E-A7 sounds quality [Re: Dnj]
Yul Offline

Hello thanks for the recommendation. Yes I have looked at these but my computer can do a lot already.

I want an arranger to help me build basic song blocks and compose on the fly which I find hard to do on the computer.

A workstation sounds great (and much more expensive) but the performance, sequencing and recording are not like the arranger imo.

If the E-A7 can do some basic sound editing, it would be nice. Envelopes and detuning are a main ones I tend to use. This seems like a basic ask imo.

I believe there is a software sound editor too. Can anyone pleae confirm?

Edited by Yul (02/08/22 07:42 AM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online