SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#50490 - 07/25/03 06:48 PM Re: Creating Registrations--Panel Memory
AnthonyCian Offline

Loc: Arizona, USA
Being a PR owner I am not familiar with the Panel Memory location on the KN models. Just curious as to what side of the keyboard the Panel Memory is located on the KN's? Also, do you have to cycle through A, B, and C... A, B, C... Or can you go from A to C to B to A etc.???

On the PR's or at least the one's I played, the Panel Memory is on the right side which is awkward since I am playing the melody on that side. Also have to cycle from A, B, C... A, B, C, so if at C and need to go to B, I have to cycle to A first, then B.

Any feedback in this area of Panel Memory?

Anthony

#50491 - 07/25/03 11:09 PM Re: Creating Registrations--Panel Memory
The Leans Offline

Loc: Birmingham, England
Panel memories are alive and well. But this love affair with them has to stop. !! I'm a sound panel man.

Seriously though, the beauty of panel memories is only really applicable when using them as arranged accompaniment to live playing. They do not do you a favour when doing multi-track sequencing. So, I say 'No'.

They're too unwieldy. Too long-winded. Multi-track sequencing is, by it's nature, done in stages. From it's inception to it's finish, such recordings undergo many many changes. Volume levels for each independent track - Tempo changes - Voice changes, etc etc. If using panel memories as the basis of your arrangement, every change has to be applied to every panel memory being used. It's a time-consuming process.

But, if using sound panel voices only, and using the 'mixer' page to set various data, all changes of any nature can happily be accommodated by the simple process of 'panel-writing'. Done in a jiffy. !!

The entire subject of 'arrangement/orchestration/sequencing could easily take up 20 pages worth of explanantion. (not to be done here). So, it's my humble view, that any theories relating to this subject, may only be valid when directly applied to 'what you are doing, and how you want to do it'.

Three cheers for the sound panel.

Colin Leaney

#50492 - 07/26/03 02:51 AM Re: Creating Registrations--Panel Memory
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
There is no right or wrong, no good or bad, just our opinions on a subject. What I my feel is beautiful, another would reject it. As far as perfection goes, it doesn't really exsist. It could be what we strive for, but it can also take away the joy of enjoying while we create.

And yes Colin, panel memories are not good for all things, it has it's place.

Different types of bands for different types of music. A polka band does not play Misty or Stardust. A Latin Band does not play German polkas. Not only are the musician of different backgrounds, so are the instruments they use.

This is my thought for my panel memories.

My favorite is Big Band, so that's where I would like to start.

I use the 1 thru 10 panel memories to create different types of bands/orchestras.

Example: Panel memories in normal mode.
1-Medium Big band for songs like Satin Doll and Don't get Around Much Anymore.
2-Soft big band for Misty, stardust, ect.
3-Strong band for In the Mood, "A" train, ect.

I select a style and use use 1,2, or 3 as selections for the different instruments.

My setup is the same in all three memory banks.
1-Some type of piano
2-Rt1 Trumpet, RT2 Sax--Both solo inst.
3-Rt1 Bone, RT2 Clarinet.
4-RT1 Sax section with T Chord RT2 Soft Brass with T Chord.
5-RT1 Clarinet section, RT 2 Flute section.
6-RT1 Harmon Mute section, RT2 Bone mute, same
7-Med. Brass, Rt1 and RT2 combined
8-Strong Brass RT1 RT2 High trumpet, combined

The three banks only differ in volume and types of instruments, (Tenor,Alto, soprano,ect)
Bank 4 Latin
Bank 5 Strong Latin
Bank 6 Polka (ethnic)
Bank 7 Strings
Bank 8 Piano --Different types, and octaves.
Bank 9 Piano --8 and 9 are great for just enjoying Piano.
Bank 10 The odd combos

I am ready to play most types of music live and (possibly sequenced) without searching and stumbling. It's all right there, a band that sound they way I feel it should sound for the kind of music/style I'm playing.

I am sending my first three setups to Bebob for you to see. I hope this hasn't taken to much space/time, but I live with this setup. More about the different uses at a different time.

John C.

#50493 - 07/26/03 05:47 AM Re: Creating Registrations--Panel Memory
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Thanks John C. -- very interesting.

One question. If I have a floor full of dancers and I want to play a latin piece followed by a big band number, how do I go quickly (less than 5 seconds, so the dancers don't walk off of the floor) from bank 4 to bank 3? Is there a way without having to cycle through all 13 banks each time?

This is why I only use bank A and dedicate all eight panel memory positions to a song setup and save it to the SD Card under a unique name. The name could be either a specific song title or a generic such as BB Strong. If properly saved, it only takes three or four seconds to find and load a new setup.
I guess this might be another example of how one method might not be right for all circumstances. Larry G. likes panel memory for sequencing but Colin uses sound panel.

The upshot of the discussion is that as we share our methods, we generate new thoughts about how each one of us can best use the resources of the KN7000, and they are many.
The best to all,
Walt

#50494 - 07/26/03 01:45 PM Re: Creating Registrations--Panel Memory

One question. If I have a floor full of dancers and I want to play a latin piece followed by a big band number, how do I go quickly (less than 5 seconds, so the dancers don't walk off of the floor)

Walt, What I gave in my last post was a basic setup. Here are the ways I use it.
1-Sitting in my living room and going through the different styles.
2-When I create a sequence I will use one or more banks for volume balance and instruments selection. Then I select extended Panel Memory and add my selection of tempo, style, variation, and whatever else comes to my mind.

If I am recording a waltz, and I have a bank of strings with the volumes balanced, and instruments that compliment each other already created, a good part of my work is done.

Now your question about speed, and not losing the dancers.

1-Panel Memory is in expanded mode
2-In my music book I put a selection of songs in the order I wish to play them
3-Then give the bank a name relating to each group of songs.
4-Normally I have 2 to 3 songs that compliment each other for the tempo and style I have selected. I allow one panel memory for each songs---And I write the name of each song int the panel memory. I have eight panel memories in a bank, and I use ten to fifteen songs per page.

I have ten pages (ten banks) with songs titles to choose from. I can flip through the pages for the next song, or go to the next song on the same page. Many times I have to change the mood of what I'm playing (ballad to rock or big band) so it's off to another page. Each page has a general theme.

When I want a lot of freedom, I go back to my original setup. I can then select a style and tempo and bank for that type of music and play with a complete band from piano, to sa section, ect. I get more freedom, but it is more involed. In the second setup, I can change very quickly. Sometimes when people are not responding, I just press another botton right in the middle of what I'm doing and go imediately to another mood/song.

If all goes well I am going to give Bebop three setups, they are not perfect, my work is always in movement, constantly changing. Whenever I get a new feeling, I write it in.
Please keep in mind that my setups are only for example, so that people can better understand my method.

Have a good day, John C.

#50495 - 07/26/03 02:05 PM Re: Creating Registrations--Panel Memory
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Thanks John,
Will look for your info via Bebop,
Walt

#50496 - 07/26/03 04:39 PM Re: Creating Registrations--Panel Memory
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Walt, there are two ways of decrementing Panel Memory Banks :
1. Use a footswitch set to carry out this action - Increment is already on the Panel.
2. Press 'BANK VIEW' go to Page 3 and there you have the necessary control to Increment/Decrement the Banks, with full view of the content of Panel Memory settings within the selected Bank. Both are much quicker than scrolling all the way through.
The ability to Decrement Banks is a glaring omission from the panel controls. I'm sure it would be quite easy to include this extra facility so that there were three buttons above the 'Circle' : PREVIOUS BANK, VIEW BANK, NEXT BANK.
When I went to the KN7000 UK launch last year, I had an opportunity to talk to one of the Japanese designers and mentioned this. He said it was a good suggestion and would 'pass it on'. I also mentioned the possible inclusion of a 'Ritartando' or 'Rall' control and this was also well received. So maybe on the KN????......

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#50497 - 07/26/03 04:57 PM Re: Creating Registrations--Panel Memory
Tony Lawton Offline

Loc: England
Very interesting topic - thank you John (and all contributors)I hope it goes on for a long time so that I may finally learn a little about getting the most from my keyboard. All this technical stuff is very new to me having played organ for over 30 years but only recently getting into the fascinating world of keyboards.

I just hope I don't miss out on your examples, John, I have the 6500 and therfore can't load 7000 registrations.

Tony L.

#50498 - 07/26/03 05:17 PM Re: Creating Registrations--Panel Memory
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Of course you know the third way, don’t you? The pads! 1-P Mem Increment. 2-P Mem. Decrement. 3-Panel memory bank decrement.

Grandpa Doug

#50499 - 07/26/03 06:03 PM Re: Creating Registrations--Panel Memory

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tony Lawton:

I have the 6500 and therfore can't load 7000 registrations.

Tony L, I still have my KN6500. If I can I'll send the info for both keyboards.
Take care, John C.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online