SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#50480 - 07/25/03 03:52 AM Creating Registrations--Panel Memory
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
A topic like creating registrations is a good idea, thanks to Tony Lawton and Ted Rose, it's their idea.

You are playing by yourself for your own enjoyment, people visit, and you're entertaining, or you are out playing a job,

HOW ARE YOU USING YOUR PANEL MEMORY?

1-Are you playing or singing with a sequence backing you?
2-Are you just using panel registrations.
3-Are you using the Music Style Arranger?

This is going to be a fantastic topic, but there are so many different areas that can be discussed, it may be a good idea to send in your ideas in steps.

Let's give it a go. John C.

#50481 - 07/25/03 05:15 AM Re: Creating Registrations--Panel Memory
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Thanks for the "plug", Bruno! I sincerely hope that there will be a lot of responses to my and Tony's (and others) suggestions for style/registration ideas,etc. I think the 6500 and 7000 keyboards have so much potential for great sound structures and many of us (at least me ) find it hard to understand all the things that can be done using Panel memory and the various other parts of the technical side of the instrument. I enjoy playing for myself and would love to play for others (especially you folks on the Forum site, via BEBOP, etc.), but I usually just play and use Easy Record to try to retain what I am playing, especially my original songs. Being a rank amateur, however, it takes me a l-o-n-g time to get a perfect recording because there is no way to edit in Easy record and I haven't yet figured out how to really use the other recording methods. Also, I can set up a song using one touch play, using the automatic setups for each rhythm group, or picking a variety of sound(s) from within the sound groups but, although I hear the melodies and chord harmonies in my "play-by-ear" head, I really don't know what instrumental sounds compliment what other sounds in setting up R1, R2, Left, TechniChord, Performance Pads, etc. Nor do I really understand how the Sequencer, Music Style Arranger, etc. work! It seems the more I read the instruction manuals, the less I know! So, thanks for the encouragement, Bruno. I hope there will be a lot of responses from the experts here who understand all the intricate workings of the wonderful 6500/7000 keyboards!!!

Ted [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/wink.gif[/img] [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/smile.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by Ted Rose (edited 07-25-2003).]

#50482 - 07/25/03 07:00 AM Re: Creating Registrations--Panel Memory
larry gosmeyer Offline

Loc: La Verne, CA USA
Using Panel Memories is a definite must for me.

Whether I am creating an arrangement for me to play along with (I live play the lead part) or the complete arrangement including the lead part (for my listening pleasure) the use of the Panel Memories in a very integral part of my work.

All of my recording work is done via the sequencer. I use the Panel Memories to record all my changes in Instrument selection, volume settings, technichord settings, and in some cases, accompaniment pattern changes.

This makes it easy to edit any changes I want to make as I work through the song. Going to the particular Panel Memory setting at a certain measure in the song recording tells me immediately all the selections I am using via the Mixer window.

I can then experiment with different registrations by using the "Cycle:On and Off" button (upper right corner of the Sequencer window) until I get the exact sound that I want and then I save it by "Setting" the appropriate Panel Memory number.

The Panel Memory facility on the KN7000 is, in my opinion, the most flexible and powerful, and time saving aspect of the keyboard.

Larry

#50483 - 07/25/03 07:02 AM Re: Creating Registrations--Panel Memory
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Ted,
I hope that there is no such thing as "A perfect recording". If there is, then we are all put to shame.
Along that line, my wife, Georgiana, does beatiful Stained Glass work. Every so often she will say "It's a little crooked over here -- it shouldn't be that way".
I tell her, "Hey, it's a handmade work of Art, if somebody wants it perfect, they can go to the dimestore and get one stamped out of plastic!"
Most of us are our own worst critics. It can help us learn to be better, but taken to extreme, can stifle our creativity.
Just my thoughts - keep on keepin' on!
Walt

#50484 - 07/25/03 07:10 AM Re: Creating Registrations--Panel Memory
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Larry, your right on!
On the KN7000, the panel memory is the "Window to the World" as far as accessing the complexity of the instrument.
It allows us to "break up" a complex piece of music into little parts that we can use, which otherwise would require that we be born with five or six hands.
Walt

#50485 - 07/25/03 09:29 AM Re: Creating Registrations--Panel Memory
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Totally agree - Panel Memory is 'The Business' Makes complex changes in registration child's play, but don't forget the Expand Filter - very strange and unexpected things can happen if it's not set-up correctly

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#50486 - 07/25/03 12:06 PM Re: Creating Registrations--Panel Memory
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Let me start with a simple step.
My Dad was a exceptional piano player. His fingers would fly all over the keyboard in full command.

The first time I had an opportunity to to see an organ player, I was disappointed. I expected to see his fingers move as my Dad's did--they did not--but, they seemed very busy doing pressing and pulling buttons and slides. They were selecting sounds changes, rhythm chnages, and whatever. But oh so very busy.

No need for us to do that any longer, we now have THE PANEL MEMORY, it does it all for us. One movement, one button can do what the organ player did in 5,6, even 10 moves.

In my next post, I am going to talk about my Basic Panel Memory Set-up. I use it as a basses for all my other work.

I feel in order to keep this post interesting on a topic like this, it should be given in steps, it will have more value to those that are interested. AMEN!!
Too much too fast boooo.

CHEERS(I've come to love that word) John C.

#50487 - 07/25/03 01:28 PM Re: Creating Registrations--Panel Memory
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Like Ted, I try to get a perfect recording when using Easy Record, but that used to take days of my time and I wasn't satisfied with the results. I play a song until I'm comfortable with it, then I start with the changes and set-ups until I'm ready to go. However, I don't keep starting over again and again until I have a perfect run, I just get the closest to what I want, then use the editor to correct the flaws. Now, I still use the ancient KN6000, so I can use my editor for EZ recording, but it sounds like Ted doesn't have one on his keyboard , or doesn't know it can be used on a sequenced song. Get your manual out again Ted, because you're missing an important part of your keyboard. Am I correct in assuming the KN7000 still has the editor function?

#50488 - 07/25/03 04:36 PM Re: Creating Registrations--Panel Memory
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
It Sure Does Bud

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#50489 - 07/25/03 05:23 PM Re: Creating Registrations--Panel Memory
Frank Bez Offline

Loc: Avila Beach, CA, U.S.A.
INTERESTING SUBJECT !
For Live Playing
I have A, B and C loaded in three categories, Big Band, Combo Solo Voices and Orchestral. Since I have the location of each registration memorized I can easily move around and spontaneously play most songs keeping the Panel Memory set in the Normal position. All 24 PM’s have edited sounds as part of the registration.

For Recording
The ten other PM’s have edited sounds in different categories, such as Horns, Woodwinds, Strings, Percussive such as Guitar and Electric Pianos. As I build an arrangement, with all 104 edited sounds I line up the registration changes starting in A1. I then put the PM into the Expand Mode and add the rhythm and tempo information. While this is a bit of work, I’m then free to focus on the performance. After recording, I go back and make the level and sound processing changes.

I’ve left out the business of building the styles and solos. That might be another subject for us to talk about.

Frank

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online