SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#504527 - 12/17/21 04:23 PM OT: Covid
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I've just made a tough decision regarding relatives visiting over the holidays. This includes my grandson who will be on xmas break from college and whom I really want to see. Because of the uptick in Covid infections (both Delta and Omicron) in the state (and locally), I am limiting my visiting to Zoom, Duo, or visual Alexa calls. Given the general age group and health condition of most of the active members here on SZ, I was just wondering how you felt about this or how you were handling it. How concerned are you about contracting the virus? BTW, the current surge in new and 'breakthru' cases is supposed to decline after the winter season. Just curious.

chas

#504528 - 12/18/21 01:38 AM Re: OT: Covid [Re: cgiles]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
In the UK Omicron is going through the roof (Hence the push to get the booster jab into at least 80% of the population by the end of December) and the same is also happening in most of Europe, (As well as many other country’s) however indications are that while infections of Omicron is sky rocketing, hospitalisations and deaths are currently are not, (But it is early days) and seems to be following SA where Omicron was first discovered (And only around 30% are vaccinated), so only time will tell, however indications are also that for most people Omicron is mild ( The US is estimated to be 2-3wks behind most other countries so they have not yet felt the full force of Omicron) the one positive is that Delta has levelled off and is expected to fall sharply as it gets replaced with Omicron. (Omicron is also expected to peak fast and decline fast)

Apart from standard precautions (Wash Mask, Distance) then unless restrictions are increased I will be carrying on as normal and just being careful. (I also had the booster jab some weeks ago)

Bill

#504532 - 12/18/21 10:05 AM Re: OT: Covid [Re: cgiles]
Crossover Offline

If you already got the booster jab, I think it‘s not too risky to do family visits, unless you have a specific high-risk condition or a condition that makes the vaccinations ineffective (immune suppression). I guess you‘d still have a risk comparable to influenza after three vaccinations, it‘s a personal decision whether you want to take that moderate risk.
For the unvaccinated, there is no real evidence that Omicron is milder than Delta. Most participants included in the South African studies which say it‘s milder had previous infections of another Corona variant and thus had a certain immune protection.

#504533 - 12/18/21 10:08 AM Re: OT: Covid [Re: cgiles]
DannyUK Offline

Hi Bill, I am in the UK also (Bedfordshire), do you think we'll be in another lockdown soon? I see that the London Mayor has issued a Critical Incident in London.

This feels like nothing's changed from 12 months ago. Frightening times.

All the best,
Danny

#504535 - 12/18/21 10:43 AM Re: OT: Covid [Re: cgiles]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
HI Danny

Just checked up on various news sites and leaked documents have appeared that indicate there might be a lockdown of 2 weeks from the 27 or 30th of the month, with SAGE recommending sooner, however this could be just a ploy to get those that are hesitant to get the jab a nudge.
In truth the spread of Omicron is so fast that all the data cannot be processed quickly enough so it’s still up in the air for a definite answer, however as I said, indications from other countries are that it is not as bad as the Delta variant and will peak and decline fast. (Personal perception will depend on whether you are a glass half full or glass half empty type of person)
Everyone I know (And looking at the number of people that are out and about) are just following standard rules (Wash, Mask, Distance) and just being careful.

Bill

#504538 - 12/18/21 11:37 AM Re: OT: Covid [Re: cgiles]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I’m Moderna boosted, and I don’t really have the slightest worries about gatherings. I’m not immune compromised, and from what I’ve read, even a breakthrough infection will be mild at worst.

Those who have voluntarily decided to not vaccinate, let them roll the bones.

Either we trust the science, or we don’t. Science says fully vaxxed with a booster, particularly other than Pfizer, you are good to go. So go…! Otherwise, what was the point of the shots?

The unvaccinated are who are prolonging this disease. Let them pay the price. Yes, you might have the freedom to choose. But there’s no way round the consequences of the choice.

We are seeing one of the greatest increases in average IQ of the world’s population since the invention of the printing press as the stupid choose to increase their risk of dying horribly. I don’t see much of a downside to that, to be honest…

#504541 - 12/18/21 12:06 PM Re: OT: Covid [Re: cgiles]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Chas, your choice seems cautious and sensible, nothing wrong with that.

I will see family and friends over the holidays, and feel pretty comfortable doing so. Most of us are full vaccinated. I feel I am taking a slight risk, but yes it's a risk.

At work (I'm a high school teacher) I mask up everyday even though masks are optional. Most of my students don't wear masks and most are not vaccinated. I usually have 30 students students in a small class room , so that's a risky situation there for sure!

At gigs I don't mask up, I probably should, but I know it's a risk, but I feel like if I do get the virus, I'd would likely get a mild case. My overall health, fitness and weight are all good.

Normally I get 2-3 colds a year, but I haven't got sick with anything since 2019 (Knock on wood) I am sure mask wearing at school and other indoor public spaces, constant hand washing and being fully vaccinated has a lot to do with that!

Here's to a safe, happy and healthy holiday season!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#504542 - 12/18/21 12:13 PM Re: OT: Covid [Re: montunoman]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
My dear great grandson (he's 2 1/2) and family moved back here three weeks ago. I'm going crazy wanting to see him, but I'm following a program much like Chas.

Really don't want to take more of a risk.

Also, I just notified all my customers that in person work (playing live, recording, film work, etc.) will be suspended pending further evaluation of the risks.

Just seems the right thing to do.

Ho, Ho, Ho, everyone.

BE SAFE!

R.

#504543 - 12/18/21 12:34 PM Re: OT: Covid [Re: cgiles]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Are you fully vaxxed and boosted, Russ?

If so, why the caution?

#504544 - 12/18/21 01:57 PM Re: OT: Covid [Re: Diki]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Diki
Are you fully vaxxed and boosted, Russ?

If so, why the caution?

I think, given the current (and ever-changing) state of this pandemic, that 'caution' is always in order, regardless of your vaccination status or what you THINK your health status is. I too, am fully boosted, but given my age and the fact that I suffer from chronic bronchitis and chronic sinusitis, I'm going to do everything I can to minimize my risk of contracting this virus (or some future variant). In other words, I can see questioning someone's decision to engage in risky behavior but I can't see questioning their decision to err on the side of caution. When age, health, and environment are taken into account, everyone's situation is different and that makes it hard to nail down a standard of risk that's right for everyone. In the end, everyone has to live with the decisions they make (and hope that it doesn't affect anyone else) so I'm not sure questioning why someone else didn't make the same decision we did, is in order.

The data so far seems to suggest that, aside from the unvaccinated, most 'breakthru' cases are occuring among the elderly (that would be me smile ). Anyhow, I'm off to get my flu shot now (and a fresh supply of masks). BTW Diki, I feel the same way you do about the idiots that refuse to get vaccinated on 'principle'. Sadly, most of the (high profile) ones preaching this are themselves vaccinated. I do feel empathy for those in some of the poorer countries for whom the vaccine is just not available. I hope we, as world citizens, can help alleviate that problem soon.

chas

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online