SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#504403 - 12/02/21 03:43 PM Beatles: Get Back Series
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Has anyone been watching this series on Disney +?
Unfortunately I don't have Disney +, but I would love to see this series.

Anyways, I figure most of the members here on SZ came of age, so to speak during the years the Beatles were together. Did you dig them back then, and think they'd make such a lasting impact? My dad tells me he thought they were just a bunch of long haired freaks but as time has gone on, he seems to appreciate them now, especially their softer material like "Yesterday" and "Michael"

I think they were brilliant and totally changed music and I wish I was around back then to really experience "Beatle Mania"

Your thoughts?

Edited by montunoman (12/02/21 04:26 PM)

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#504405 - 12/02/21 04:20 PM Re: Beatles: Get Back Series [Re: montunoman]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I was in 8th grade and like everyone got swept up in the Beatlemania wave. My first bands we didn't play Beatles, really wasn't dance music for the teen dances we played, we did James Brown and lots of R&B.
At first the music seemed simplistic but as they went on the variety and complexity of the music grew. I now look at them as the biggest influence in pop music in history. And don't forget the huge contributions of their producer George Martin.
Their music has lasted better than any other pop artists and still influences younger generations. My Nephew, who I gave all my original Beatles vinyl to, has the coolest tattoo I've ever seen. The Beatles crossing Abbey Road on his forearm

#504411 - 12/03/21 07:50 AM Re: Beatles: Get Back Series [Re: montunoman]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I'm in the process of watching, about half way through. It's unbelievable those 20 something year old's in the span of 2 weeks and a scheduled show that was going to feature all new music, were able to produce a new album.

Included in that album was Paul McCarthy's "Get Back". A song he seemed to compose "on the fly"

Lots of cool interactions on this Disney+ documentary. They did not always get along and often bickered, as perfectionist do. Another note, Paul and John could both play keyboards, but decided they needed a dedicated organ player for certain songs. Billy Preston, yes Billy Preston, accepted the invitation, taking the rehearsals and finished product over the top.

So yes, highly recommend "Get Back" It's just fascinating. These guys worked, and worked hard, and that is on display in this flick, and is one reason they were, maybe the best group, of all time.

BTW, did you know the Beatles broke up BEFORE they ALL were the age of 30 ! All those many enormous, huge classic hit songs, written and played before they were 30, is just hard to believe.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#504413 - 12/03/21 10:42 AM Re: Beatles: Get Back Series [Re: lahawk]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I was 17, in college and playing society kind of music at Officer's clubs on military bases.

I was already into lite jazz playing. As Beatles music became more complex, I was hooked.

No question; one of the major musical influences in my life and in the lives of millions of others.

Still play Yesterday, Her, there and everywhere and My love does it good almost every night.

LOVE it!

R.

#504416 - 12/04/21 08:08 AM Re: Beatles: Get Back Series [Re: Bill Lewis]
montunoman Offline

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
I was in 8th grade and like everyone got swept up in the Beatlemania wave. My first bands we didn't play Beatles, really wasn't dance music for the teen dances we played, we did James Brown and lots of R&B.
At first the music seemed simplistic but as they went on the variety and complexity of the music grew. I now look at them as the biggest influence in pop music in history. And don't forget the huge contributions of their producer George Martin.
Their music has lasted better than any other pop artists and still influences younger generations. My Nephew, who I gave all my original Beatles vinyl to, has the coolest tattoo I've ever seen. The Beatles crossing Abbey Road on his forearm

That's really cool that you have very vivid memories of the Beatles, and it's understandable that your teen dance band focused on the R&B covers.

And yes, it so interesting how they started as a pretty basic rock band and grew in complexity with each album, but yet always sounded like the Beatles. Of course George Martin must of had a lot to do with their sound , what a magical combination.

I don't care for tattoos at all, but if I had to get one, maybe I'd get the same one as your nephew!

#504417 - 12/04/21 08:13 AM Re: Beatles: Get Back Series [Re: lahawk]
montunoman Offline

Originally Posted By lahawk
I'm in the process of watching, about half way through. It's unbelievable those 20 something year old's in the span of 2 weeks and a scheduled show that was going to feature all new music, were able to produce a new album.

Included in that album was Paul McCarthy's "Get Back". A song he seemed to compose "on the fly"

Lots of cool interactions on this Disney+ documentary. They did not always get along and often bickered, as perfectionist do. Another note, Paul and John could both play keyboards, but decided they needed a dedicated organ player for certain songs. Billy Preston, yes Billy Preston, accepted the invitation, taking the rehearsals and finished product over the top.

So yes, highly recommend "Get Back" It's just fascinating. These guys worked, and worked hard, and that is on display in this flick, and is one reason they were, maybe the best group, of all time.

BTW, did you know the Beatles broke up BEFORE they ALL were the age of 30 ! All those many enormous, huge classic hit songs, written and played before they were 30, is just hard to believe.

The addition of Billy Preston was amazing! He was just a 22 year old kid from Texas , and musicians are still analyzing/transcribing his solos from that album today. I heard that Paul wanted to make him a 5th Beatle. I often wonder what would have happened if they had gone in that direction.

#504418 - 12/04/21 08:14 AM Re: Beatles: Get Back Series [Re: captain Russ]
montunoman Offline

Originally Posted By captain Russ
I was 17, in college and playing society kind of music at Officer's clubs on military bases.

I was already into lite jazz playing. As Beatles music became more complex, I was hooked.

No question; one of the major musical influences in my life and in the lives of millions of others.

Still play Yesterday, Her, there and everywhere and My love does it good almost every night.

LOVE it!

R.

That so cool Russ that you still cover some Beatles tunes. I do a few too, and never get tired of them.

#504438 - 12/08/21 01:57 PM Re: Beatles: Get Back Series [Re: montunoman]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By montunoman

The addition of Billy Preston was amazing! He was just a 22 year old kid from Texas , and musicians are still analyzing/transcribing his solos from that album today. I heard that Paul wanted to make him a 5th Beatle. I often wonder what would have happened if they had gone in that direction.

I've always been a huge fan of the late-great Billy Preston. I thought his original version of this tune with the late Syreeta Wright was fantastic (it is) and then I ran across this version on YouTube; gives it a good run for it's money. Watch the entire thing; worth it. They aren't much of a visual match smile , but luckily it's the TALENT that's on display here.

chas

#504443 - 12/09/21 07:50 AM Re: Beatles: Get Back Series [Re: montunoman]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
A good example of how their music developed was when Sinatra said "Something" was the greatest love song of the past 50 years. Thats amazing considering all the material he covered. I still play it on piano gigs tied to Yesterday.
There was one local band that came along and they did nothing but Beatles. They had one member , who I worked with years later, who could mimic McCartney perfectly. Similar looks, voice was spot on, and he played bass. They eventually got booked to do A National tour of Trudy Hellers Hullabaloo clubs.

#504445 - 12/09/21 10:51 AM Re: Beatles: Get Back Series [Re: Bill Lewis]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
With You I'm Born Again. Sometimes, I hire a female vocalist just to add that song to the set list.

Love the look on Billy's face. He knew they were "in the pocket".

Good find, Chas.

Russ

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online