SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#503459 - 08/07/21 09:14 AM Drum Roll
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
I'm sure I've asked this before but has anybody ever produced a drum roll with cymbal splash at the end, that I could add to my performance pads bank?

#503461 - 08/07/21 03:18 PM Re: Drum Roll [Re: RMepstead]
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Rog,
Check your email smile

Cheers
Bill

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#503462 - 08/07/21 05:53 PM Re: Drum Roll [Re: RMepstead]
kitkat Offline

Loc: United States
Roger,

It is so easy to do yourself. Go into COMPOSER, use DRUM 1 and clear track. Choose STANDARD KIT 1 in PART SETTING. In STEP RECORD click on LENGTH AND use 16th, 16th/3 or 32nd note, depending on how fast of a drum roll you want. It also depends on how fast the song is. A fast song might be better for 16th notes - slow song, 32nd or 32nd/3. Depending on length of drum roll that you want use D1 as the key to play. Keep pressing D1 for the length of drum roll. At the end of the drum roll length press C#1. Volume of D1 for the roll, set VEL (loudness) around 90 to 100 and the crash symbol C#1 to around 120 - 127 VEL then save.

Mark

#503463 - 08/07/21 06:36 PM Re: Drum Roll [Re: RMepstead]
Bill Norrie Offline

....But Roger wants it in PERFORMANCE PADS.... 😀

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

#503464 - 08/07/21 08:00 PM Re: Drum Roll [Re: RMepstead]
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
C'mon Bill, don't keep it to yourself,I am forever looking for new stuff, and Rog's drum roll request could be very useful !!!
Ray

#503465 - 08/07/21 08:36 PM Re: Drum Roll [Re: Bill Norrie]
kitkat Offline

Loc: United States
Can't it be saved in Performance Pads? I would think so. I don't use Performance Pads for I create all my own music. Do I understand that you can only create in this case a drum roll in Performance Pads? If you can create it there why not be able to create it in COMPOSER and save it in Performance Pads?

#503467 - 08/08/21 01:57 AM Re: Drum Roll [Re: RMepstead]
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Wonderful Bill - many thanks. I'm using it in a song called Video Games by Lana Del Rey.

#503468 - 08/08/21 08:05 AM Re: Drum Roll [Re: RMepstead]
Bill Norrie Offline

Will get back to you guys later... bit busy just now....

Aldous Huxley

#503474 - 08/08/21 06:20 PM Re: Drum Roll [Re: RMepstead]
Bill Norrie Offline

Hi Again,
In answer to KitKat's question, there is no way to copy a Composer file to the Performance Pads. However, it is possible to copy a Sequencer file to a Performance Pad... more of this later...
It is indeed possible to create the Drum Roll and Cymbal crash within the Performance pads but it's a bit tricky.... You have to do so initially in 'Real Time' by rapidly tapping the appropriate key (in this case D1) and finishing by hitting C#2 (Crash Cymbal). The result depends on how rapid and evenly (pressure) you hit the keys during the recording process.
Having made the initial recording, you can then edit the result using the Step Record facility. This facility is only accessible after making an initial Real Time recording. Using the Step Record facility within the Performance Pad editor, you can alter the volume level of each individual component of the recording to provide a more realistic Drum Roll. However, unless the key hit spacing used during the initial recording is nice and even, the resultant Roll is liable to sound a bit 'Lumpy' smile

KitKat has the right idea about using Step Record and setting the 'Note' duration to the shortest available ie. 32nd/3 but using the Composer would not achieve the desired aim..... having the Drum Roll available during performance of another Song.

I used the Step Record facility in the Sequencer to create 4 different sequencer files of different lengths and styles. I set the tempo to 92 and the Drum Kit to Live Standard Kit, because to me, it is a more realistic Drum sound - especially the Crash Cymbal (C#2).
In a blank Sequencer set to record in Step Record, I set the Note Length to 32nd/3 and then kept tapping the D1 key until I had filled the required number of measures - in the case of Pad 1 - just 1 measure which shows 32 asterisks. (Although only 32 asterisks show, there are in fact 48 key presses in the single measure, some of the Asterisks are 'hidden' behind others). Having completed the first measure, I then hit the C#2 key to place the Cymbal Crash on the first beat of measure 2.
I wanted to make the Drum Roll have a gradual Crescendo over its duration, so I placed the cursor over the first asterisk and set the VEL (velocity) to 80. Moved to the next asterisk and set its VEL to 81 and so on increasing the VEL value by 1 until the last asterisk. I finally moved the cursor to the Cymbal asterisk and set the VEL value to 127.
Having completed these steps, I then copied the sequencer file to Performance Pads USER Bank A, PAD 1, PART 1, using the SEQ to PAD COPY facility, and saved the Performance Pads to SD Card, setting the SAVE options to Performance Pads Only.

The other 3 Performance Pads were created in much the same way as described above, but were just different 'styles' of Drum Rolls. Pad 2 Roll is a bit longer in duration before the cymbal crash, Pad 3 varies in volume... crescendo, diminuendo, crescendo before the cymbal crash and Pad 4 uses Tenor Drums in place of the Snare Drum.

There is a problem when trying to send the Performance Pad file over email as an attachment. Technics, in their wisdom, decided to use a file extension of .MSP (the three letters after the dot in a Windows filename). However, Microsoft already use this 'MSP' File extension to identify a Windows Installer Patch file and this is usually an executable file which alters the Windows Operating System.... Since this type of file can be considered 'dangerous', most email services treat any file with the MSP extension as such and either reject the attachment during transmission or reception.... This seems to happen even if the MSP file is included within a ZIP file !
One way of getting around this problem is to change the file extension to something like .PAD prior to emailing it and then on receipt, change the extension back to .MSP which is how I emailed the file to Roger....

For anyone who could make use of these Performance Pads, I've attached the file to this post.... I've had to change the extension to .TXT because .MSP is not allowed.... So if you want to use the file in your KN7000, download it to your desktop, rename it as 01PEFPDS.MSP then copy to a Floppy disk and feed to your KN7000.

Attachments
01PEFPDS.TXT (2 downloads)

Aldous Huxley

#503476 - 08/08/21 10:10 PM Re: Drum Roll [Re: RMepstead]
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Thanks Bill, you have always been very generous with your Knowledge of the K7.
I have a friend with a 6500 who is having a problem. I will get the details and post for any assistance shortly.

Ray

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online