SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#5026 - 08/05/05 11:39 AM Roland A-37 uses
to the genesys Offline

Hi everyone,
Is it possible to control some sound elements like LFO cut-offs and attack using the A-37 controller keyboard? Has any one used or is using the A-37 with computer recording software?

How wise would it be for me to get a A-37 especially since roland is not going to make them any more?

Thanks for any and all responses

#5027 - 08/05/05 02:22 PM Re: Roland A-37 uses
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Hi!
I've never used A37 but I've used many other Roland controllers and workstations. As far as I know they have no default capabilities of editing sysex parameters of external MIDI devices. However if you plan to use an A37 as a master controller for your computer based setup it isn't really important. Most hardware synths are well supported by third party editing programs that allow to edit all the parameters of your hardware synths right from the screen of your computer.

If you plan to use an A37 with software synths and instruments being able to control sysex parameters like LFO rate etc won't be a problem. The only thing that you wil need an A37 for is MIDI note on/off andd may be a few controler messages like modulation, hold, expression pitch bend and aftertouch.

Again with the computer you won't really need to worry about having to adjust sysex parameters using external MIDI devises.

Yes, it will be wise to buy an A37 if you think that it has a good enough keyboard feel and so on. The rest will be up to your computer.

-ED_

#5028 - 08/05/05 08:41 PM Re: Roland A-37 uses
to the genesys Offline

Thanks for that response:
Well with respect to a hardware synth, I wanted to edit the sound parameters in real-time. Can that be done with CC messages?

The same thing when I am using software synths.

I guess what I am really asking is if the A-37 has any assignable knobs, switches or sliders. I have been reading up in the specs but just wanted to see if I missed anything.

#5029 - 08/06/05 07:37 AM Re: Roland A-37 uses
3351 Offline

Hi!
I just checked a few web pages on features and specs of an A37 and it turns out that it only features standard set of external controls found on earlier Roland A-series controllers. I didn't find any information on it having assignable knobs or not.

In either case you could always get an external fader box with assignable MIDI faders. I think JL Cooper still mnake them. They don't cost too much money usually...

-ED-

#5030 - 08/06/05 09:06 AM Re: Roland A-37 uses
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by 3351:
Hi!
I just checked a few web pages on features and specs of an A37 and it turns out that it only features standard set of external controls found on earlier Roland A-series controllers. I didn't find any information on it having assignable knobs or not.

In either case you could always get an external fader box with assignable MIDI faders. I think JL Cooper still mnake them. They don't cost too much money usually...

-ED-

O K thanks for that.
I did not know about an external fader box. Would that work with a hardware synth module connected to the A-37 at the same time?

I think I am going to get the A-37. The only other 76 key controller I have seen is the CME UF 76. While that have the assignable knobs and sliders that I would want, it has the key range from A-C rather than the regular E-G key range on other 76 key instruments. I just don't know how that would affect midi if I have to do octave changes.

#5031 - 08/06/05 01:38 PM Re: Roland A-37 uses
3351 Offline

Well, MIDI is MIDI it doesn't care about congtrollers key range. You will be able to transpose using octave and key transpose. Since most patches and kits are designed for 61 note controllers (Pitch wise it is a usable range. How many times will you play a note on a synth at C-2??? If you really want to go that low then just set up your patch to do weird low overtones like that ) octave transpose isn't really going to be necessary most of the time.

Just to give you an idea I use a Motif ES8 (full 88 note keyboard) and most of my playing is done from C1 to C5 (rarely go higher or lower than that).

Really this stuff doesn't matter. If you are planning to use any sequencer software note and octave transpose isn't going to be an issue at all. Some people get away with using just two octave controllers. Really, this isn't something worth worrying about.

I would however get a controller with assignable knobs if you have that option. As long as the keyboard feels good to you and the knobs and controls are easy to deal with (some layouts get funny) go for it.

IF on the other hand you really like an A37 then you will most likely need an external fader controler thing (LOL) that I was mummbling on about before. I'm not really sure who makes those nowadays, but I'm sure you will find a few brands and types at the nearest music store. IF you only have one MIDI input on your MIDI interface though you will need an interface with more inputs. Ideally each MIDI device that you connect has to have it's own MIDI port. So if you plan on using a few hardware synths along with A37 and that controller fader thing (I think they are usually refered to as controllers but not keyboard controllers so I keep calling them funky names just to prevent confusion). you will require a MIDI interface with nmore than one IN/OUT. Well, you probably know that anyway.

Hey, just as a thought you might want to post your question at The Bar section here. I'm just curious about other opinions on your situation.

GOod luck anyway. From my point of view you should go with something that feels great, costs little and has assignable knobs. If there's an alternative to your original choice and it has knobs it would be worth considering.

-ED-

#5032 - 08/08/05 03:30 PM Re: Roland A-37 uses
manic2257 Offline

Loc: australia
hi gen, most sound parameters can be changed thru midi, BUT only thru sysex messages..if you want to do this in a live(realtime) situation you could use something like the excellent Phatboy, or the Behringer control surfaces which will allow realtime editing of dco's lfo's tracking, octave changing etc etc etc..just plug em into the midi in....they have for the most part a small "footprint" son can be placed directly on your keyboard...the other way is to program sysex into your midi files so it changes thru the song..but you need to ensure you reset the parameters for your next song....hope thats of use
dennis

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online