SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#50305 - 10/04/05 05:11 PM THE TYROS 2 - MY OPINION
kn7 Offline

Greetings, all -

I have been reading the specs on the Tyros 2. There is a lot to grasp but certain things come to mind - One, for starters and I quote, "PLEASE NOTE: TRSMS01 speakers will not mount on the new Tyros2 keyboard." A question one might ask, do ANY speakers mount on this keyboard? While on the subject of speakers, I am assuming there are no inboard speakers in this keyboard as there are on the KN boards - right? If so, I think this is a disappointment. Frankly, the speakers shown on the keyboard in the image look like two warts on a witch's chin plus, you have a woofer on the floor to stub your toes into. It certainly cuts down on having a variety of pedals to use. Keep in mind, you have all this "excess baggage" (speakers) to carry on a gig, along with whatever p.a. equipment you use.

With all the features this keyboard has, I am surprised that there are no recording capabilities other than using ONLY the sounds in the keyboard. Unless I am wrong, you can't for instance play a DAT recording of material done on a different keyboard, record it and make it play what was recorded, as you would with a typical outboard multi-track recorder. I'll ask now, can you record voices (human) in the sequencer? Technics didn't have this capability, which was a big disappointment.

Reading the specs, I don't see anything mentioned about composing your own accompaniment, as can be done in the KN series. Surely you can - it speaks of up to 8 tracks available for preset styles. Perhaps I didn't grasp it being mentioned in the specs.

From what I read, there isn't a way to use all our hard work done in the KN's in the T 2 - only "styles done in other Yamaha products." Where does this leave us that have done a lot of good work in the KN keyboards? Are we to toss this aside and move on with technology or keep the KN in order to be able to use what we have done? Questions, questions.

In closing, a word on technology - I am amazed that the Tyros 2 and other high-end keyboards haven't output jacks on EVERY track instead of just a left and right. This is a professional MUST for studio work. Lastly and as important, why no CD burning capabilities? Good grief, there are excellent 8 - 16 track hard disk recorders on the market that will fit in the palm of you hand and most all have CD burners in them. It doesn't take much room. These small recorders have mixing capabilities...the works. Of course, you wouldn't need the mixing capabilities because the keyboard has a mixer built in it. With technology becoming cheaper and cheaper and with the cost of this keyboard...one would expect anything and everything - perhaps in the Tyros 3.

#50306 - 10/04/05 07:59 PM Re: THE TYROS 2 - MY OPINION
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Wow what a post --- You have compared some of the things you can do on a Kn (Technics) keyboard that the Tyros will not do, and you are so right. Owning both keyboards I must tell you there are things the Tyros can do that KN keyboards can not. Every keyboard has it's own beauty, and so does every woman or wife. Ops, maybe I shouldn't go there.
I have a Tyros I and will probably get the Tyros II, then I will judge the keyboard on the bases of what it has and how can I use it. I'm sure there will be some nice improvements over the Tyros I.

Can you imagine judging your mate on all the values they do not have ? they would all lose there is no perfect mate or keyboard.
But ---- there some great ones out there.

IMHO, John C.

[This message has been edited by bruno123 (edited 10-04-2005).]

#50307 - 10/04/05 09:33 PM Re: THE TYROS 2 - MY OPINION
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi John C. Well said. I can only tell you guys that I was an avid Technics KN5000 keyboard fan & player BEFORE I eventually moved to the Tyros. BOTH the KN7000 and Tyros have their strengths, and it's up to us to determine WHICH features of each are MOST IMPORTANT to us for our uniquely specific kb performance needs. As much as I appreciate the KN7000 as most everyone else obviously does here, the FACT remains that it no longer has Technics Corp for product support, parts, or service. Considering this fact, and wear and tear resulting from usage, I would think that those of you who want to continue playing arrangers need to begin searching for an alternative brand, even if it means sacrificing some features, yet gaining others. In the area of OS Navigation, I've found Yamaha's user friendly 'ease of use' OS navigation (and picking it up) at least equal to Technics. Whatever you guys decide to do, I wish you the best in what we ALL share in: playing & sharing the joy of music thru our arranger keyboards. Scott

#50308 - 10/04/05 10:12 PM Re: THE TYROS 2 - MY OPINION
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by kn7:
do ANY speakers mount on this (Tyros2) keyboard?

Yes, the TRS-MS02's.

Quote:
While on the subject of speakers, I am assuming there are no inboard speakers in this keyboard as there are on the KN boards - right?

Yes, this is correct. And to me, that's a GOOD thing as built into the keyboard speakers add significant weight, making it much more inconvenient for frequent gig transport. The weight different between Tyros1 & the Kn7000 is over 10 lbs. As far as using built-in speakers, or the Tyros add-in attachment speakers, I find them only useful in a living room size setting and unsuitable for any venue larger than this. Because of this, I rarely (if ever) utilize the Tyros speakers for gigs. I instead utilize a portable (but much more powerful) Motion Sound KP100S amp, or larger PA system to my gigs.

Quote:
With all the features this keyboard has, I am surprised that there are no recording capabilities other than using ONLY the sounds in the keyboard.

Tyros2 in fact actually DOES include digital audio sound recording (2 stereo tracks) for recording/playback of vocals, or recording/playback of output from it's sequencer's 16 midi tracks, or any external audio source (CD's, etc) you want to record.

Quote:

you can't for instance play a DAT recording of material done on a different keyboard, record it and make it play what was recorded, as you would with a typical outboard multi-track recorder.
You can, on the Tyros2, reocrd and playback material recorded from another keyboard or sound source.

Quote:

I'll ask now, can you record voices (human) in the sequencer?
Yes, in the Tyros2 Audio Recording Sequencer. see above.

Quote:

Reading the specs, I don't see anything mentioned about composing your own accompaniment, as can be done in the KN series. Surely you can - it speaks of up to 8 tracks available for preset styles.

Yes you can, but it's imo admitedly a lot easier to create styles on the KN7000 than on the Tyros itself. On the other hand, there is FREE software available on the internet which allows you to create CUSTOM STYLES for the Tyros, and it, in my opinion is even easier (user friendly) than doing on the KN7000.

Quote:

From what I read, there isn't a way to use all our hard work done in the KN's in the T 2 - only "styles done in other Yamaha products." Where does this leave us that have done a lot of good work in the KN keyboards? Are we to toss this aside and move on with technology or keep the KN in order to be able to use what we have done? Questions, questions. .

Valid concerns, but considering Technics is no longer in business, and the fact that the Technics proprietary arranger format is no longer company supported, I strongly suggest that people begin thinking about doing their future work in a more universal format, of which Yamaha's styles & songs are: SMF compatible.

Quote:

In closing, a word on technology - I am amazed that the Tyros 2 and other high-end keyboards haven't output jacks on EVERY track instead of just a left and right. This is a professional MUST for studio work. Lastly and as important, why no CD burning capabilities?

I don't expect an arranger keyboard to be all things: powerful performance board as well as all incompassing production house music studio. I prefer dedicating an external software sequencer like Sonar or Cubase for big projects as they offer both MORE power and easier to navigate & view full PC screen interface.

That said, we all have to come to our conclusions. I certainly have come to mine.

Thanks to my Technics forum friends for letting me share my thoughts on this.

Happy keyboarding to all,

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 10-04-2005).]

#50309 - 10/04/05 10:57 PM Re: THE TYROS 2 - MY OPINION
The Leans Offline

Loc: Birmingham, England
Hi,

The 'computerised technicalities' of keyboards are only 'THE MEANS TO AN END'. Not an end in themselves. The end product, and therefore the real purpose of having a keyboard, must surely be 'MAKING MUSIC'. The features of any keyboard that assists us in creating the music of our choice, are therefore going to be viewed differently from player to player, according to their reason for having the keyboard in the first instance. And their musical taste.

The most important features for me, are the combined features of the sequencer and composer. I don't play out anymore, and my main pursuit on the keyboard is to multi-track my own arrangements and orchestrations, just for the satisfaction and pleasure I get from doing so. -- The KN7000 gives me a sequencer which, in my opinion, is second-to-none. I don't believe any other instrument will give me likewise.

But the most important features for other players, will be totally different, according to their musical tastes, and what these features can do to produce what they want. Sampled voices - APC rhythms - Speaker quality - Ease of operation - etc etc. So, we judge our keyboards by what 'WE' want to do with them. The 'technical features' are nothing more than tools to enable each player to produce the music of their choice. - And as such, we all come from different planets.

Me. ? - My KN7000 will have to fall to bits before I give it up or exchange it. There are many many aspects to music-making. And no doubt every keyboard has features which are of importance to one player, and irrelevant to another. - Long live all of them. ! - We are all here to produce music. Every keyboard will do that. Their features are trappings/tools - not an end in themselves. - Happy music-making everyone,

Colin.

#50310 - 10/05/05 01:45 AM Re: THE TYROS 2 - MY OPINION
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
KN7000's won't die when all you rich people move on to the latest and greatest whether it's Tyros 2 or whatever; those KN7000's will pass into the hands of new users who probably won't know about this great forum - so how do we pass the message on to the new owners that this site exists - perhaps every part-ex should be labelled with a synthzone message...
Rog

#50311 - 10/05/05 08:33 AM Re: THE TYROS 2 - MY OPINION
D.Munson Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:
Originally posted by The Leans:
Hi,

The 'computerised technicalities' of keyboards are only 'THE MEANS TO AN END'. Not an end in themselves. The end product, and therefore the real purpose of having a keyboard, must surely be 'MAKING MUSIC'. The features of any keyboard that assists us in creating the music of our choice, are

therefore going to be viewed differently from player to player, according to their reason for having the keyboard in the first instance. And their musical taste.

The most important features for me, are the combined features of the sequencer and composer. I don't play out anymore, and my main pursuit on the keyboard is to multi-track my own arrangements and orchestrations, just for the satisfaction and pleasure I get from doing so. -- The KN7000 gives me a sequencer which, in my opinion, is second-to-none. I don't believe any other instrument will give me likewise.

But the most important features for other players, will be totally different, according to their musical tastes, and what these features can do to produce what they want. Sampled voices - APC rhythms - Speaker quality - Ease of operation - etc etc. So, we judge our keyboards by what 'WE' want to do with them. The 'technical features' are nothing more than tools to enable each player to produce the music of their choice. - And as such, we all come from different planets.

Me. ? - My KN7000 will have to fall to bits before I give it up or exchange it. There are many many aspects to music-making. And no doubt every keyboard has features which are of importance to one player, and irrelevant to another. - Long live all of them. ! - We are all here to produce music. Every keyboard will do that. Their features are trappings/tools - not an end in themselves. - Happy music-making everyone,

Colin.

Hi Colin,

Like you I shall hang onto my KN7000 as long as it behaves well,because I think this is the greatest keyboard produced in recent years.
Shame on those who have or are thinking of changing to another make.

Cheers,

Derek Munson

#50312 - 10/05/05 09:02 AM Re: THE TYROS 2 - MY OPINION
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi,
I embrace the efforts of any trademark to develop the technique of keyboards in general. The consumers finally decides what, when and if they buy a special trademark. Each individu makes his/her choice due to circumstance whe mostly don't know. What I sincerely hope that that choice makes him/her happy.
I avoid making a value judgement on personal preference. That mostly doesn't work. A judgement purely on (technical) facts I don't mind in a fair discussion.
Just my 2 eurocents

Cees
P.S. I'm still satisfied with my KN7.It had all I want. I personally don't have any reason to buy a new one of any branche. It is easy to say, but I doubt if I ever should buy a KN8

#50313 - 10/05/05 09:07 AM Re: THE TYROS 2 - MY OPINION
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
WEll then SHAME ON ME, because i was the first person to place an order for the Tyros 2 with Dan O in Baltimore. I am anticipating my November delivery with great glee while I arrange to sell either 3 of 4 or 4 of 4 Technics keyboards.
If I was not a progressive then i would still be using a commodore 64 with Quantum link and a lowrey micro genie keyboard.
Wake up people the world is changing every day. Few people are driving Model T Fords today. We have a used keyboard store in San Jose. I just wish all you negative folks could visit it one day with me. It is like a museum. It has every antique keyboard that was the top of the line in its day but no buyers today. They sound kinda funny now days also.
I agree with everything that Scott wrote in his post.
One other thing that comes to mind. when you sell your Technics keyboards put a notice in the box with the synthzone address and specifically the Technics forum address. The newbies will need help if it is their first Technics and for many it will be, as I only see newbies buying Technics.
I got this forum going 6 years ago and I am really happy to see you all here and the growth in this forum over the years. I believe it will still be active long after I am gone, until the last Technics breaks down and no more spare parts.
However..... having said that i do need to stay current and I believe personally after several months research, I have narrowed the field of choice FOR ME to the G 70, the PA1X and the Tyros 2. I ordered the Tyros 2 Three weeks ago. it was the unanimous winner of the competition for my vote and dollars.
Best to all
Bebop
Retired moderator of the Technics Forum.
Special thanks to Nigel for all you have given to us for the Technics Forum. Long may it live
Bb

#50314 - 10/05/05 10:58 AM Re: THE TYROS 2 - MY OPINION
kn7 Offline

Interesting replies to my post. I truly think the Technics keyboards have spoiled most of us for the fine features they have put in them over the years. When the KN6000 came out and then the KN7000, my thoughts were, where do manufacturers go from here - nearly every possibility is at your fingertips, i.e., if you have talent and really use the features put in them.

The COMPOSER is a must for me - I don't use pre-sets. I have never liked them. They are either done in 2 measures or 4 and for that reason, aren't very creative. Over the years, I have used THREE PRE-SETS and have done more work cleaning them up by changing the bass pattern, tweaking the drums, polishing up the other tracks and stretching them out to 8 measures than doing a pattern from scratch. I will say this on their behalf, they can at times inspire a better or new idea in doing a pattern. I think they are fine for those who do not know how to arrange in a professional sounding way. For those who do little original work in COMPOSER, the Tyros 2 will probably be an excellent investment. Hopefully, they have made better styles. If I remember reading correctly, the intros, fill-ins and endings have been increased by one, which should help.

Scott, I'll take a slightly heavier keyboard with built-in speakers any day over a lighter keyboard that you have to tolerate outboard speakers and a woofer that gets kicked by your feet because it is in the way. Different strokes for different folks. Doing gigs, I like to hear what I am doing up close (speakers in keyboard as monitors) as well as what is heard over p.a. speakers. By the way, I use a pair of Mackie HR824 speakers - none finer. They are expensive as hell but worth every penny.

Until the release of the Tyros 2, I will wait patiently for the hundred posts that will either be ecstatic with their purchase or somewhat disappointed.

Bebop - Good luck with your thinking. If you could, I'll bet you would like to update the Rembrandts in the museums with a few changes. (Laughter in the background)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online