SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#502997 - 05/31/21 05:16 PM My review of the Yamaha DGX-670!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I received my new Yamaha DGX-670 on Saturday and wanted to share my thoughts about the unit. First let me say that this new model is an excellent example of what happens when manufacturers are forced to be competitive. For some time now people have been asking for a product like the DGX-670. Recent models by Casio and Korg are IMO why we see a model like this from Yamaha. The community for some time now has been asking for a proper 88 key weighted action arranger workstation. That’s what is so unique here. The new 670 is so far ahead of the previous model, it’s not even comparing like with like anymore. We’ve seen 88 key arranger workstations in the past (GEM comes to mind), but the selection has always been very small, and many manufacturers (including Yamaha) tend to play it a little loose with the term “Workstation”.

The DGX-670 is a proper workstation. Yamaha knew they had to up the game to compete with Korg and Casio, so they didn’t hold back. The DGX series has always been entry level with entry level features. That’s not the case anymore. This new model has been massively upgraded. You will now find proper workstation features such as full style creation (user and custom editing of presets). The sequencer is no longer an anemic 6 track linear sequencer with limited features. The 670 now has a proper 16 track linear arranger sequencer you find on other Yamaha arranger workstations. You’ll be pleased to see full post song editing, including event list editing. Options such as Quantize, Merge, and a few others can be found within the editing menus of the sequencer too.

The sounds are really quite good. Incredibly Yamaha has included Super Articulation voices. I believe there are over 40 SA voices. The Pianos are quite good and the Piano Room feature is very good. Overall I found the vast majority of sounds on this digital piano are very good, with the exception of a few that are more mediocre, but still quite usable in a mix. What’s impressive is that the DGX is not just a preset box anymore. On top of being able to fully edit and create styles, Yamaha has included the Voice Set editing, and you can save those to proper user locations, and not having to fill up your Registration Banks is much appreciated. To top all that off, Yamaha upped the polyphony to 256 notes, and we certainly didn’t see that one coming.

The key action really impressed me. My primary is actually as a pianist. I’ve been a pianist now for just over 40 years. I know the DGX is Yamaha’s entry level GH action, but it’s surprisingly good. I prefer a balanced hammer action as they tend to be heavier, which is why my primary controller in my studio is an M-Audio Hammer 88. I did not expect the DGX’s action to be more inline with my preference of a stiffer action, but I think it feels great. It’s obviously not a high end graded action, but it’s still a good one. It’s also my understanding that Yamaha has improved on the mechanics of the action and some of the well documented key failures aren’t an issue anymore (that’s what I’ve read in a few forums).

The unit isn’t by any means small. It’s damn near 50 pounds (without the stand and pedals). Yamaha is honestly running a bit loose with the “Portable Grand” claim. Let’s be honest.., NO ONE will be lugging this beast around, and the same could be said for the previous model. This really is a home unit, and very few if any will be using this for gigs, especially considering their are much lighter stage piano options.

My dislikes aren’t really too serious. The first negative issue I have with the unit is really more personal. I’m visually impaired, and over the last few years my vision has taken a serious turn for the worse. The screen on the unit (although nice, and in color) is small, and the text can be very difficult to see for someone who is visually impaired. My other gripe is how Yamaha designed the unit to essentially force the buyer to add options should they want to utilize the units other advanced features that also make it a true workstation.

To really get the full potential out of the SA voices you have to purchase the 3 pedal unit. It’s frustrating that one must do this, but the pedal unit really opens up more features outside of the SA voices. Two of the pedals are assignable., and there are numerous functions that can be assigned to the them. For example, the unit lacks a mod wheel.., however.., modulation is one of the functions you can assign to a pedal (along with many others). Here’s the kick in the groin. The pedal board is proprietary, and to use the pedal unit, you must purchase the wooden stand as well. Yes, Yamaha designed the pedal unit specific to the stand, and they do not offer a free standing 3 pedal unit that works with the DGX either. However, if you’re technically inclined there’s a way.

Even with the pedal/stand situation, I still think the DGX has to be the best bargain out there for piano players wanting a proper arranger workstation with weighted keys. Yamaha really has taken the DGX line to the next level, and no one really offers anything to compete with it currently (especially for the price and features). I have a suspicion that in time we might see a price increase on this model. Yamaha has really put out something special here. I think they priced it conservatively to see how sales go. The unit (no stand or pedals) only costs $799. That’s an incredibly low price for what the DGX is. It’s essentially an 88 key PSR SX600, give or take a few features. Yamaha did it.., they answered the call, and honestly I don’t think they had a choice when considering the competition forced their hand.

Sqk

Edited by squeak_D (05/31/21 05:46 PM)
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#503001 - 06/01/21 01:48 AM Re: My review of the Yamaha DGX-670! [Re: squeak_D]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Good review, Squeak. Since retirement, and especially since Covid 19, I haven't been able to try much in the way of new arrangers or digital pianos.

It's good to get a real hands on review.

Thanks, and it is great to see you posting.

Ian

#503002 - 06/01/21 06:18 AM Re: My review of the Yamaha DGX-670! [Re: ianmcnll]
Harold123 Offline

Loc: Harrisville Pa USA
Thank You very much...It's a GREAT Instrument for stationary use...Harold

#503006 - 06/01/21 12:25 PM Re: My review of the Yamaha DGX-670! [Re: squeak_D]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Thanks for sharing, and enjoy your new keyboard!!

#503007 - 06/01/21 12:37 PM Re: My review of the Yamaha DGX-670! [Re: squeak_D]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Sqk, thanks for the review, and I am sure you'll get much enjoyment from your new KB.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#503009 - 06/01/21 03:24 PM Re: My review of the Yamaha DGX-670! [Re: squeak_D]
squeak_D Offline

Thanks everyone! Years ago I left the arranger market and even stepped back from synth workstations, switching primarily to DAW’s snd VST’s. That’s still my primary, but the new 670 caught my attention as a pianist. Funny thing is it’s the first actual keyboard (outside of midi controllers) that I’ve bought in years. The last new keyboard I purchased was the MZX-500. This new DGX will be going in my studio when the pedal set arrives, and a lot of those SA voices will find their way into my DAW work (Studio One 5).

Sqk

Edited by squeak_D (06/01/21 03:24 PM)
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#503012 - 06/02/21 08:22 AM Re: My review of the Yamaha DGX-670! [Re: squeak_D]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
How’s the chord recognition when you get florid?

Has it progressed past the old ‘three notes for a new chord’ thing and done anything like the Roland system of ‘five simultaneous notes for a new chord if the sustain pedal is down’?

#503017 - 06/02/21 09:43 AM Re: My review of the Yamaha DGX-670! [Re: Diki]
squeak_D Offline

I’ve not gotten too florid with the chord recognition, but I will say this (and it really surprised me). There is a jazz chord progression that I like to play with (it’s in the key of C). In certain jazz styles this is a very fast moving chord progression that consists of seven progressive chord changes, and I like to use this chord progression on faster styles to see how well the auto accomp follows (primarily the bass and chord tracks). The DGX, using a fast jazz style didn’t skip a beat on that progression, and I was shocked how well the bass track followed too. I don’t know how florid you can get with the DGX, but it handling that particular progression in a fast jazz style where the baseline is programmed well beyond a simplistic part is again, impressive.

Sqk

#503021 - 06/02/21 03:23 PM Re: My review of the Yamaha DGX-670! [Re: squeak_D]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Squeak in light of your comment about the fast chord progression I'm curious... do you use "Fingered on Bass", "Full Keyboard", "AI Fingered", or "AI Full Keyboard"?? Which chord recognition mode(s) do you use?

Edited by TedS (06/02/21 03:33 PM)

#503024 - 06/02/21 04:08 PM Re: My review of the Yamaha DGX-670! [Re: squeak_D]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Awesome review. Thanks Squeak

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#503025 - 06/02/21 06:09 PM Re: My review of the Yamaha DGX-670! [Re: squeak_D]
Diki Offline

It would be wonderful if Yamaha, if they are seriously mining the SX series for their 88 home piano series (you’re right, in these days, 50lbs is a bit excessive for a portable piano!) added the Chord Sequencer from the SX900….

I can’t tell you all too many times what a game changer this is for a pianist with decent chops… To be, on the fly, freed from inputting the basic ‘head’ changes after the first pass through a tune, and then let loose over the basic changes without your playing freaking out the chord recognition if you play a bunch of passing chords, dissonant extensions and other outside stuff is truly a wonderful experience.

And you never lose the ability to switch it off on the fly if your fancy takes you away from the chord loop you played at the start. Everything good about playing with styles, with none of the bad things! 😎🎹

#503027 - 06/03/21 06:11 AM Re: My review of the Yamaha DGX-670! [Re: squeak_D]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
Congratulations on your new keyboard and thank you for the review!

It's true that with DGX-670 Yamaha got very close to merging a digital piano with an arranger. Well, they have been doing it with their Clavinova series, but that's sort of an "elite" product.

It's interesting that Yamaha also separated the DGX series from their entry-level products. What used to be DGX-230 is now called PSR-EW410. The DGX series is now basically consists of only one current model.

I guess it started with DGX-650 when Yamaha decided to make it a better digital piano, with decent polyphony and advanced piano sound.

But it is a bit risky that now DGX doesn't come with a keyboard stand in a box. I picture that was what people found attractive - for a reasonable price they were getting what they thought to be a contemporary home piano and now a customer has to accept this usual "is not included" surprise, while in fact DGX-670 is about $80 more expensive than its predecessor.

#503029 - 06/03/21 10:46 AM Re: My review of the Yamaha DGX-670! [Re: Kabinopus]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
GOOD NEWS! The Solton MS 60 is about 80 lbs and, with speakers, quite wide. A few years ago, this 50 lb unit would be a welcome addition to my travel rig.

BAD NEWS! I'M &^ YEARS OLD!

That little Hohner squeezebox is looking BETTER. MOMMA (You know, the one with the squeezebox), on the other hand, is looking a little droopy.

OH well, after 56 years together, everything is GOOD!

Russ

#503030 - 06/03/21 12:11 PM Re: My review of the Yamaha DGX-670! [Re: TedS]
squeak_D Offline

I’ve tested with Fingered, AI Fingered, and AI Full Keyboard so far, and each one of those tracked that chord progression really well.

This is a very interesting departure for Yamaha. They have always been very cautious about stepping on the sales of their other models. Competition forced their hand here IMO. So far it’s a major success for them too. We just got them in the US, but they have been out overseas for some time now, and the reviews coming in are very positive, and a lot of buyers are extremely shocked to see so many advanced features in this new DGX model.

Sqk

Edited by squeak_D (06/03/21 12:14 PM)

#503031 - 06/03/21 04:58 PM Re: My review of the Yamaha DGX-670! [Re: squeak_D]
Diki Offline

I'm still waiting for a flute arranger... That might be light enough for me LOL

In the meantime, my BK-9 comes in with a VERY good 76 action at 20lbs, which is less than the case my G70 used to go in!

TBH. my accordion is heavier!

I can't tell you how happy I am that, now I'm finally at the age where weight actually IS a consideration, I have a keyboard that really has no compromises compared to my last arranger and is a featherweight. I'm sorry, but pretty much all the PSR's had abominable actions, and you couldn't get them in a 76 anyway. Haven't had a chance to try the SX900 yet, but from what I've read, it still falls short of a Tyros or Genos action.

All in all, pound for pound, I'm pretty impressed with how much weight they shaved off the G70 to make the BK-9!

Now, about that flute arranger... LOL

#503060 - 06/06/21 02:22 PM Re: My review of the Yamaha DGX-670! [Re: Diki]
Tapas Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Watch this glowing review of the Yamaha DXG-670 by James P, a classically trained pianist.

Yamaha DGX-670 Sound Review by James P

It looks like the Yamaha designers took up a challenge to see how many features they could pack into an entry level 88-key Arranger for under $800

The feature list is impressive:

DXG-670 Portable Grand Piano Features

This looks like the ideal beginner's learning tool for children at a price that is affordable to most parents.

The combination of features, quality and versatality of this new DGX model guarantees this to become a runaway success. It has no competition as this price point.

Anyone can make a flagship product where price is of no concern. Distilling the best features into an affordable package that could be enjoyed by the masses is an art form. Yamaha has landed a winning design.

Congrats!

#503067 - 06/07/21 07:33 AM Re: My review of the Yamaha DGX-670! [Re: squeak_D]
Diki Offline

Be nice if Yamaha make a commitment to creating new Pianist styles… out of the (fairly meager, compared to a proper arranger) 253 total included styles, only 29 are the Pianist styles, that respond to your playing.

Personally, though, until it gets a chord sequencer, this gets a hard pass from me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online