SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#502739 - 04/30/21 08:50 AM Yamaha SX900 still worth buying?
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Hello again,

After working my back side off teaching and gigging I have finally secured some founds to upgrade my S950. I think it would be a nice upgrade, but I am somewhat because reluctant because the SX900 has been out for awhile now and I would hate to buy something that will be replaced soon.

Thoughts?

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#502740 - 04/30/21 11:06 AM Re: Yamaha SX900 still worth buying? [Re: montunoman]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
I own the SX900 and also owned the S975 and the S950. I do not believe the SX900 is near as good as those two other keyboards were. Just my opinion - but it really depends on how modern our current music has become. For me the SX900 lost a lot of the styles suitable for the Golden Oldies so to speak. I often use styles from the Tyros3 and Tyros4 keyboards. That said, I also have found some really good styles from the Genos collection that play well on the SD900.

Deane

Edited by hammer (04/30/21 11:06 AM)

#502744 - 04/30/21 11:57 AM Re: Yamaha SX900 still worth buying? [Re: montunoman]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Can’t the SX900 play those 950 oldies styles? Seems a shame to lose out on probably the biggest jump in PSR capability in years just because those styles aren’t in the ROM.

Or are you referring to some of those styles that used drum loops? You might still be able to recreate those using samples of the loops. Has anyone at PSR tutorial posted those?

I know when the BK-9 came out, it didn’t come with many styles (maybe none!) that leveraged the three style MFX (insert effects) and multiple drum Parts that got added to the OS. But some of the EA7’s styles got updated to use them and play well in the BK-9. Perhaps this is why the Genos styles work well?

But your preference for the older models seems to revolve primarily about missing styles, not sounds or OS. Surely you can add those older styles?

#502749 - 05/01/21 01:26 AM Re: Yamaha SX900 still worth buying? [Re: montunoman]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I had a psr970 and went to an SX900, playing much of the same music genre. I really like the new OS after getting used to it, and I put my old registrations on a thumb drive, beside my primary. When I feel a particular style from the 970 is better suited to a song, I tweek it with the new machine, and save it in my primary User folders. I do think that it would be a mistake, however, to slide everything over from the prior boards without thoroughly auditioning a comparable native equivalent style.

However you choose to do it, I agree that using an SX900 and supplying legacy styles, as needed, would be a win win situation.

Bernie

#502750 - 05/01/21 06:19 AM Re: Yamaha SX900 still worth buying? [Re: montunoman]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
The SX900 was released on June 2019, so I expect it to be replaced no sooner than in a year. On the next model there are likely to be features of SX600 which are unison and accent features, audio over USB, some extra bonuses.

I thought that after buying the SX900 I would abandon my Juno DS76 and guitar but I got back to them after a couple of weeks of playing the SX900.

After playing the S950 for many years it was refreshing to play the SX900, besides, my S950 was not in a good shape. But altogether the difference between these models is not that crucial. I believe, switching for the first time from some entry level keyboard to something like Yamaha PSR-SX600 would be much more of an excitement.

I could’ve said “the SX900 is a great keyboard, go for it!” but while I consider this upgrade reasonable, I wouldn’t be overly exited about it; it doesn’t fix everything. Also, I would never pay the official price for the SX900; got mine 25% cheaper.

I tend to think now that PSRs in general are designed to play with styles. In a way it forces you to play with rhythms even if you don’t feel like it. This is the reason why I still rely on my Juno DS.

The SX900 also has a weird thing when you hold a note for a really long time: it stops before it fades out. It’s not noticeable during normal playing, and basically it’s not a problem at all, but it sorts of emphasizes that it’s not a piano.

The JunoDS has a lot of weird things as well, so I can’t say that there is a safe choice at all. Basically, there is no satisfactory as long as you are being a perfectionist.

#502751 - 05/01/21 07:59 AM Re: Yamaha SX900 still worth buying? [Re: Kabinopus]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
If my Yamaha Sx900 was destroyed, I would buy another one.

In the Technics days, I would buy a new model every time one came out. I knew they were holding some great options that were not on the new model, I bought without playing one.

The Sx900 fits my needs, it is the closest to the Kn7000, which was my favorite for years. If dollars hold out I will buy the Sx900 replacement.
John C.

#502752 - 05/01/21 10:13 AM Re: Yamaha SX900 still worth buying? [Re: montunoman]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I could never go with anything but a touch screen again, and the SX-900 has a fantastic one. I'm so use to it, I recently played a friends S950 and found myself tapping the display.

I also like the chord looper, and I'm still in the "messing around" stage, but I can see the possibilities.

Finally three right hand voices with more DSP'S, and a nice onboard speaker system all make the SX-900 a much nicer keyboard from previous PSR's

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#502755 - 05/01/21 11:25 AM Re: Yamaha SX900 still worth buying? [Re: montunoman]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
With Covid having depressed the global economy, and professional musicians especially, not to mention putting the brakes on component production in China, I wouldn’t put much faith in the schedule of new model release staying consistent from pre-Covid times.

Personally, I’d be quite surprised at a new model being much sooner than a couple of years past its usual release schedule…

Yamaha at least have a revenue stream from copy protected sample packs and new styles, so they aren’t painted into quite the same corner that Korg may have found themselves, with no easy DRM system and a habit of releasing new styles for free (which is excellent if you can still keep your new hardware release schedule to underwrite it, but a problem when that dries up).

Maybe it’s time to reevaluate our gear lust, and try instead to wring as much as is humanly possible from the gear we have? I guarantee, few if any of us have even wrung 50% of it! Get in there, try to master those new features (I bet few are starting to really lean on the new chord sequencers), edit your favorite styles and sequences to use all the new kits and sounds, add those new insert effects to style and sequence Parts, not just your solo sounds, experiment with foot controllers to cut back on your button pushing so you can work more on actually PLAYING…

Now seems like a really good time to do it, before production of new models distracts us again! 😂😎🎹

#502756 - 05/01/21 11:40 AM Re: Yamaha SX900 still worth buying? [Re: bruno123]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By bruno123

..In the Technics days, I would buy a new model every time one came out. I knew they were holding some great options that were not on the new model, I bought without playing one...

I was at the same train until the KN7000 came, but the keys placed down between two edges and the new design/place for many buttons was a dealbreaker for me.
Tried it several times, but never got friend with it.
Was about to buy KN6500 when KN7k came, but stoped at KN5k. Too bad, but as we know, sadly no more new KN's.

Regarding Yamaha, I was not much fan when had T4 because of the 'CD'ish, cold and crisp' sound (my very personal opinion).
But something turned me around when Genos showed up, now I simply love it, and regardless of what other T5 or T series users say, it sonuds different, and BETTER!. (Again very personal opinion).
Even if I'm lurking to get hands on a Korg PA4-76, I would not hesitate to go for a Genos 2 if it ever see the light.
As the SX series is the 'little brothers' of the Genos, I guess they are above the PSR series in most, or maybe all ways. 👍
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#502759 - 05/01/21 12:46 PM Re: Yamaha SX900 still worth buying? [Re: montunoman]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The SX900 is a great keyboard, however, IMO, the touch screen display is much too small for my chubby fingers and the OS has changed quite a bit over the PSR-S950 that I currently own. I guess I'm dating myself, but at age 80, I do not want to learn another operating system.

Larry, tapping the LCD display is an ageing thing. Probably has something to do with owning a smart phone. Ironically, I find myself trying to dial the TV remote to make a telephone call because all these things have similar keypads. wink

The Genos would be a great upgrade, Paul. The sounds are incredible, and the drums are very realistic, IMO. In addition to having a larger touch screen, you can play all of the older legacy styles and sounds as well. For example, the growl sax in my PSR-3000 was incredible, but the onboard growl say in my S-950 was pale in comparison, therefore I just had to import the sound into the USER area of the 950 and it worked great. Sounded great in the Genos as well when I imported it into my friend's Genos.

Good luck on whatever you decide upon,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online