SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#502403 - 03/05/21 07:10 AM Re: Converting Sheet Music to a Yamaha XF MIDI File [Re: Tapas]
joso Offline

Loc: Denmark
Hi David
Got the file now. Thanks.
Will upload in the next update - in a week probably!
Have a nice weekend - the sun is shining here today - spring is on its way
Jørgen

#502404 - 03/05/21 09:51 AM Re: Converting Sheet Music to a Yamaha XF MIDI File [Re: joso]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By joso

... - the sun is shining here today - spring is on its way
Jørgen

Hopefully you're right Jørgen, enough winter for now if anyone ask me. 😁
Only hope we'll get the opurtunity to visit Denmark again this year, if we're so lucky that "Queen Corona" lose the grip. 😷
🎵'Det er deilig å være Norsk i Danmark'🎵
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#502536 - 03/29/21 01:40 PM Re: Converting Sheet Music to a Yamaha XF MIDI File [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
Tapas Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona, USA
As I was researching into various ways to convert a printed Sheet Music into a Yamaha XF MIDI file I ended up taking notes and creating a User Guide that may be useful to others.

The process involves 3 components:

• Flatbed Scanner
  • Music Scanning Software
  • Music Notation Software that can export to XF MIDI

If you want a dependable professional solution your best bet is to get the Epson Perfection V39 Photo Scanner, run the Image Recognition through SmartScore 64 Pro and export the Music XML file using Notation Composer 4.

This costs around $500.

There is a cheaper workaround that works on simple scores. Rather than purchasing the Epson Scanner and SmartScore 64 Pro, you can use the NoteReader App that installs on your iPhone.

This lets you take a snapshot of the score sheet using your iPhone camera and the NoteReader App instantly plays back the score on your iPhone. If you upgrade to the Premium version for $9.99, you get the added capability to download the MIDI file.

This Standard MIDI file will not contain any Lyrics or Chords. However, it is very easy to add them in Notation Composer 4 and finally export it as an XG MIDI file.

Notation Composer automatically inserts the Yamaha META Chord Events creating a true XF MIDI file that can be played back on any Yamaha Arranger Keyboard. They drive the chord changes when you select any Style.

This solution costs $109.

I have included all the steps in my User Guide with annotated screenshots.

GNMIDI 3.7 turned out to be the best utility to spit out the contents of an XF MIDI file into Excel and examine the short SysEx messages that constitute the META Chord Events.

I compared the free versions of various music notation programs – Crescendo, MuseScore, Dorico, Sibelius, Finale, Noteflight and StaffPad.

Dorico has the most modern User Interface. It offers a simple and intuitive workflow. Once Dorico adds the capability to handle the XF extensions to the Yamaha XG format, it would become the notation software of choice for creating XF MIDI files.

Until then, Notation Composer remains your only solution. You can import all the 6,675 Wikifonia Lead Sheets in MXL format and export them to create XF MIDI files that will play on your GENOS, Tyros, PSR or Clavinova driving the Chord changes as you select any Style.

Here is the User Guide for converting Sheet Music into a Yamaha XF MIDI file:

http://www.davidapps.net/xfmidi.pdf

#502537 - 03/29/21 02:16 PM Re: Converting Sheet Music to a Yamaha XF MIDI File [Re: Tapas]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Wow!! I asked about something like this years ago, and now here it is! I haven't had a chance to read it yet. But I did buy Notation Composer 4. So when I'm ready to roll up my sleeves I'll attempt to follow your instructions. Thank you!!!

#502538 - 03/29/21 09:09 PM Re: Converting Sheet Music to a Yamaha XF MIDI File [Re: TedS]
Tapas Offline

Originally Posted By TedS
Wow!! I asked about something like this years ago, and now here it is! I haven't had a chance to read it yet. But I did buy Notation Composer 4. So when I'm ready to roll up my sleeves I'll attempt to follow your instructions. Thank you!!!

Hi Ted,

If you have Notation Composer 4 you are all set!

It is very simple to convert any of the free 6,675 Lead Sheets in Music XML format into readily playable Yamaha XF MIDI files via and Import/Export operation in Notation Composer 4.

I was delighted to find how well this process works.

As a test I converted these 3 MXL files from the download link provided by Scott Langholff.

• I Don’t’ Know How To Love Him.mxl
  • The Music Of The Night.mxl
  • The Phantom Of The Opera.mxl

Notation Composer 4 exported these 3 XF MIDI files:

• I Don’t’ Know How To Love Him.mid
  • The Music Of The Night.mid
  • The Phantom Of The Opera.mid

Each one of them plays flawlessly on Yamaha Arrangers. The best part is that chords change automatically when you play the song with any Style of your choice.

This leaves both hands free to improvise and play along.

Notation Composer 4 is the only Music Notation Software that can do this neat trick!

I came across a few MXL files where the Chord Information was not correctly linked in the source. You can tell that easily by clicking on the Chord symbol in Notation Composer 4.

If you do not hear the sound of the Chord, then it has not been properly linked. It manifests itself as an ordinary Text object.

The solution is simple.

Activate the Chord Tool and enter the chords manually. Then delete the original text objects that were meant to be Chord symbols.

Now we have a sure and easy way to convert all of these 6,675 Lead Sheets into Yamaha XF MIDI files for a small investment of $98.99.

Cheers!

David

#502544 - 03/31/21 12:58 AM Re: Converting Sheet Music to a Yamaha XF MIDI File [Re: Tapas]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Great news

I have been using Notation Composer for years, including the new Composer 4. I am anxious to investigate this.
Thank you Tapas

#502546 - 03/31/21 08:46 AM Re: Converting Sheet Music to a Yamaha XF MIDI File [Re: Bernie9]
Tapas Offline

Hi Bernie,

Notation Composer 4 is all you need to convert the Music XML files to XF MIDI files. Just got to run them through an Import/Export cycle.

It can even create a Lead Sheet with Chords and Lyrics in PDF format.

You are all set.

I will post a few converted XF MIDI files later today.

You have so many Yamaha Arrangers plus the Korg Pa4X and the Ketron Audya 76 and the vArranger!

You are certainly having a good time.

Edited by Tapas (03/31/21 08:50 AM)

#502548 - 03/31/21 11:26 AM Re: Converting Sheet Music to a Yamaha XF MIDI File [Re: Tapas]
Tapas Offline

Hi Bernie,

I have converted the following 8 songs into XF MIDI files:

• Clocks.mid
  • How deep is your love.mid
  • I Don’t Know How To Love Him.mid
  • Mamma Mia.mid
  • Rivers of Babylon.mid
  • Spanish Eyese.mid
  • The Music Of The Night.mid
  • What A Wonderful World.mid

They are all under:

http://www.DavidApps.net/TestFiles.zip

I have included a ReadMe.pdf with full instructions on how to convert the Music XML files along with creating the Lead Sheets in PDF format.

David

Edited by Tapas (03/31/21 11:30 AM)

#502555 - 03/31/21 04:00 PM Re: Converting Sheet Music to a Yamaha XF MIDI File [Re: Tapas]
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
Do you know if it is possible to load such midifiles with XF chords in a Yamaha arranger, and that allow to drive the arranger with a style?

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

#502556 - 03/31/21 04:38 PM Re: Converting Sheet Music to a Yamaha XF MIDI File [Re: Tapas]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Maybe I’m missing something here, you know I’m a Roland man LOL, but can’t you just PLAY the chords into the chord sequencer on the newer Yamaha SX series, and save that as a file? That would give you the advantage of breaking it up into verse, chorus, solos etc., and allow you to restructure the whole thing at will….

The chord sequence still drives a style, so you can vary different styles when you feel like it, stick fills in where you feel like it, go to the ending when you feel like it etc. but it strikes me that this method you have doesn’t allow for restructuring the song unless I am missing some thing…

If you are one of the lucky Yamaha SX series owners or have a Genos, I have a feeling that using the chord sequencer may turn out to be a more flexible solution.

Edited by Diki (03/31/21 04:39 PM)

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online