SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#50247 - 05/13/03 07:26 PM Re: Technics is the most versitle keyboard you can own
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Derek, your not a glutton for punishment. You just like to play. It’s just that some guys like to play with different things. You can’t help it if you like to play with hardware. Enough stuff on that 80 to keep you occupied for at least twelve to sixteen months if you don’t do too much skiing, canoe touring or modeling. Some guys like to play around and accumulate wives. Three, four, five and even seven or eight. Wow! That’s what I would call a glutton for punishment. I still don’t have Ruthie completely figured out. I just might have to take back what I said about being fickle. On second thought I might rephrase it and say you might just have an addiction. Addiction to hardware. l hope the son can some how get you cured before you squander all of his inheritance. On the other hand it might just be a good thing. You know, money corrupts.

Now just a word of advice from old Grandpa. Be careful. Strive to be satisfied and not desire to have everything you might want. Think about it and don’t make hasty decisions. As an example: This guy threw a big birthday party for his wife's fiftieth birthday. During the celebration a genie appeared to the wife. He told the lady he admired her life over the last fifty years. Wonderful wife, raised two wonderful kids and was an inspiration to the whole community. The genie desired to reward her this evening with anything she desired. Well, she said, I have always dreamed about a five or six week vacation in Hawaii. No sooner said and she had an envelope in her hand with hotel reservations, plane tickets and all the spending money she could use. Elated she thanked him and was overwhelmed with her choice. On the way out the genie encountered the husband. Realizing he had something to do with his wife's success he asked the husband if he could do something for him, maybe grant him a desire of his. Sort of hesitant he said, I was thinking at times how exciting it might be to have my wife about thirty years younger than me. How about it? Before he could utter another word, Zip and he was eighty years old.

Me? I looked for a few years, found Ruthie and have been proud of my choice. I looked for a few years, found the KN and have been proud of my choice. Over the years I have evaluated the wisdom of my choices and have found them to have been perfect for me. My desire is for all of you to find rest and peace in your lives.

Grandpa Doug and Ruthie, the gal I hang out with.

#50248 - 05/13/03 07:43 PM Re: Technics is the most versitle keyboard you can own
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I gotta tell ya ... you Technics fans are the most loyal I've ever come across. Maybe that's because you pay so much for the instrument, or because you fel that you get your money's worth .... whatever the reason - I salute your continued enthusiasm. Wish I could get this excited over a keyboard again. In the last 3 years ... they have all let me down big time. They are all "OK" ... but missing one or two key elements that I really need.

I wanted to like the kn7000, and I DID ... in a way, but there was no real mic procesoor onboard. (If you think there is - I guess vocals are not a priority to you)
Vocals are paramount to my show, and I need a good mic preamp more than I need a color TV screen. I think the kn lineup is as goos as any other at this time, but no better. They all have that "one" missing link. Some have several.

Still, I applaud your loyalty, and as always ....... I LOVE reading Doug's posts ! Hope you all stay happy for a long time.

#50249 - 05/13/03 11:40 PM Re: Technics is the most versitle keyboard you can own
Joan Offline

Loc: Hampshire U.K.
Bill

Did the KN800 take a floppy disk?

The first Technics keyboard I had didn't and I thought it was a KN650 - a friend of mine had one very similar but hers was KN600?. I paid approx £650 for it at the time and when the KN2000 came out upgraded to that. Quite a few thousand pounds later I have the KN7!!!

I have always thought that each model that comes out is that much better than the previous one but whilst I don't think the Rhythm/Styles sections are much of a step up from the KN65 then this is more than compensated by the fantastic sound which was the first thing I noticed when I started playing - Wow! Not to mention the SD feature which even using in its simplest way has opened up more flexibility of filing/loading.

I bought a new car two months ago - don't like it all but you can't have my KN7

Joan

Joan

#50250 - 05/14/03 08:08 AM Re: Technics is the most versitle keyboard you can own
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Quote:
Originally posted by Joan:
Bill

Did the KN800 take a floppy disk?

The first Technics keyboard I had didn't and I thought it was a KN650 Joan

I have kept my KN800 and it does have a floppy disc drive and still works well when I crank it up.
Bebop

#50251 - 05/14/03 08:54 AM Re: Technics is the most versitle keyboard you can own
Joan Offline

Hi Bebop

Well my 650 must have been before the KN800 and I can't say with any certainty that it had the KN in front of the number 650. I am sure that at the time I bought it there wasn't one on the market that did have a disc drive or I would almost certainly chosen to have gone for one that did. I had a GN7? organ prior to the 650 keyboard which had a "RAM pack" which was about the size of a 20 cigarette carton and were quite expensive to buy.

I was trying to think how long ago that was and my "feeble brain" can't cope with it I'm afraid!

Joan

#50252 - 05/14/03 10:37 AM Re: Technics is the most versitle keyboard you can own
BEBOP Offline

HI JOAN,
I think I remember that the floppy drive was an option on the KN800. I am sure it was an option on the Pr90 digital piano that came out before the KN800. There was a hard drive of sorts available also but it cost way to much at that time and I did not buy it.
My memory is probably getting a lot like yours :-(
Bebop

#50253 - 05/14/03 10:56 AM Re: Technics is the most versitle keyboard you can own
technicsplayer Offline

Hi Joan, floppy was an option on both 800 and 1000 but was so popular the 1000 then became 1000FD supplied with it.

The 650 was post 800 and had no floppy but a version with floppy, the 750 was them launched that loaded 1000 format files.

The 800 had a syp5 memory card and a similar ram pack was available for the G7 organ. The GN7 was later and a lower version of the GN9 which I don't think was marketed in the UK.

#50254 - 05/14/03 12:44 PM Re: Technics is the most versitle keyboard you can own
Joan Offline

Hi Bebop and Technics player
On the basis of what you have just said I am now sure that I had the 650 and my friend the 600. You were right technics player the organ I had was a G7 and not the GN7 - I remembered it the minute I read what you had written - At the time I bought it I had to pay a hefty price for it as I the one I had to offer in part exchange was a Kimball organ which was a different kettle of fish altogether in sound and style to the Technics. I believe in those days that Music Stores had a franchise to sell a certain make of Organ/keyboards and were'nt really interested if you walked up with another make in part exchange.

In passing I might mention that I met my friend who had the 600 through having the Technics keyboards and I had only just got to know her. The common interest in Technics keyboards has lead to us both upgrading each new model and has led to what has proved to be a lasting friendship I don't know whether this has anything to do with it but she still has the KN6000 - I wonder if its because I have told her that I have left my KN7000 to her in my will

Joan

#50255 - 05/14/03 01:03 PM Re: Technics is the most versitle keyboard you can own
BEBOP Offline

Quote:

The 800 had a syp5 memory card and a similar ram pack was available for the G7 organ. The GN7 was later and a lower version of the GN9 which I don't think was marketed in the UK.
[/B]

I Still have a technics Memory card SY-P4 should anyone have need of it. I think it was for the P 90 digital piano. It prolly needs a new battery by now!
Bebop

#50256 - 05/14/03 02:07 PM Re: Technics is the most versitle keyboard you can own
Derek Ladkin Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
[QUOTE]Enough stuff on that 80 to keep you occupied for at least twelve to sixteen months if you don’t do too much skiing, canoe touring or modeling.

Hi Granpa Doug,
You hit it on the head. I guess I'm lookig for something I can settle down with but whilst I'm still active at 71 I'm getting into the keyboards for when things catch up on me. ( They might be, as I capsized my Kayak a couple of weeks ago and wondered why the fish were swimming upsidedown !) I've just come back from a Model Engineering show where we won the shield for the best stand in the show. At another engineering show last year we had a late night opening and suddenly I heard big band music in the hall and recognised the sound of a KN7000. Someone had just received his keyboard and couldn't wait to play it so had brought it with him. I also played a few tunes and by the time we had finished we had the biggest crowd round a stand ! So I was able to combine two of my interests. I guess I'll be looking for a keyboard next year able to play at a depth of 10 metres so I can take up scuba diving!Well you never know I might coax out a mermaid or two
I enjoy reading your musings and words of wisdom, good to hear from you again.

All good wishes to you both,
Take care,
Derek

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online