SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#502111 - 01/29/21 07:48 AM Synth Zone Drop-outs
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Where have many of the old timer Synth Zoners gone? I believe somewhere in Facebook?

Thanks, Glenn

#502112 - 01/29/21 08:54 AM Re: Synth Zone Drop-outs [Re: GlennT]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Yep.Fallout from the political damage of the last 4 years. Hope they come back, it was a fun group with a lot more activity.

#502113 - 01/29/21 08:57 AM Re: Synth Zone Drop-outs [Re: GlennT]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Sadly, it's all about politics.
But, if look to the users list, even if not much new threads or posts, many still peek in to read....
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#502115 - 01/29/21 11:14 AM Re: Synth Zone Drop-outs [Re: GlennT]
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
If any of you old goats are lurking, let me know.

gtoth@zoominternet.net

#502116 - 01/29/21 11:16 AM Re: Synth Zone Drop-outs [Re: Bill Lewis]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
Yep.Fallout from the political damage of the last 4 years. Hope they come back, it was a fun group with a lot more activity.

That's too bad, we are all musicians, right? All the other stuff shouldn't really matter.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#502121 - 01/30/21 02:55 AM Re: Synth Zone Drop-outs [Re: GlennT]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
It is true that some of the members now communicate on FB in ā€œArranger Keyboard Playersā€ group; but, I guess, the initial problem is in the product itself. As I keep complaining, by todayā€™s standards, keyboards are rather expensive and not so good. Itā€™s hard to attract a crowd with an entry level product which costs around $500 and a decent model costs $2000-$5000. I imagine that $500 is something that most people consider a sensible expanse for a thing like this, and for $1000 you should be able to get a whole package. So people just walk away, get distracted by other things. In my case Iā€™m more busy with my guitar right now.

I understand that it works like a circle, people should buy more of a product to make it cheaper and the product should be cheaper so that people would buy it. This logic doesnā€™t really give a hope that arrangers will get cheaper.

So far people prefer to buy a MIDI keyboards and to use it with VSTs. I donā€™t find VSTs that great, but flexibility and affordability do a trick.

Perhaps, in some not English-spoken countries arrangers are more popular. Not sure that Russia is one of them, in some way we are much closer to US than to some neighboring states.

So far, with this prices, itā€™s hard to promote arranger keyboards; and just look how little PSR-E463 has improved comparing to PSR-E403. Itā€™s not really the kind of progress which people expect in todayā€™s world.

#502122 - 01/30/21 04:36 AM Re: Synth Zone Drop-outs [Re: GlennT]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
It takes time to rebuild a family. Blending personalities on SZ did not happen overnight; that is the sad part. I guess this is what happens when people try to perfect things.

I miss the craziness of Donny, and the perfection Don M. ā€“ and Tony, and Steve, they became my friends. So, with a touch of sadness I visit FB. ā€“ Sometimes I think about asking them to come back to SZ.
John C.

#502124 - 01/30/21 07:47 AM Re: Synth Zone Drop-outs [Re: GlennT]
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
been here for 18 years ,
i'm here for the music, arranger help , and friendship
if i want politics i turn on the tv and get all the opinions i need.
not going anywhere , but also belong to fb arranger group and others. its about the music and only the music.

#502131 - 01/30/21 10:35 AM Re: Synth Zone Drop-outs [Re: GlennT]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
@Kabinopus

Currently, I think the way to achieve the best final product in a non-live situation if trying to create older music is to use an arranger to create a MIDI file and then substitute the individual parts with VSTIā€™s. And for this, it really doesnā€™t matter much the difference between a TOTL arranger and a consumer level one, as long as it can play the styles from a higher tier arranger at all.

Run a basic arranger drum part through BFD or Supreme Drums etc, do some basic note editing, youā€™ve got something a Genos or PA4X struggles to equal and usually fails. Same with bass guitar VSTIā€™s, orchestral and pop brass libraries, keyboard libraries etc..

Put $500 into an arranger, and that leaves you $3000 for VSTIā€™s before you even approach the cost of a Korg or Ketron or Yamaha TOTL arranger. You can buy a boatload of VSTIā€™s for $3000 and I doubt that even 10-20 years in the future hardware will equal...

As to the absent members, to be quite honest, the shift away from endlessly discussing what gear Donny had migrated to for a few weeks until he changed his mind again hasnā€™t hurt the forum one bit..! šŸ˜‚

Edited by Diki (01/30/21 10:36 AM)

#502153 - 02/02/21 08:05 AM Re: Synth Zone Drop-outs [Re: GlennT]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I ain't dead yet - a lot closer to dead than alive, but I still check the forum on a regular basis to see what is taking place. In reality, the lockdown from covid and inactivity of performers and players has led to the near demise of many of these site. For me, personally, diminishing health issues, multiple, no longer having the ability to sing, distal neuropathy in both my hands and feet, coupled with constant pain, has kept me away from the keyboard and the internet forums. Sure, I glance at the forums once a day, mainly for email, and PMs, try to solve problems for a few folks while I'm still able to do so, then put my arse in a recliner with my oxygen lines and watch old movies. I watched Cocoon a few days ago - it was still a neat movie that I thoroughly enjoyed. This morning I checked the Email, messages and the door bell rang. It was the snow plow guy - he just finished plowing 6-inches of snow and ice from the driveway and shoveling the sidewalk, then dusting everything with rock salt so it would melt any residual. With luck, tomorrow, I will be able to drive to the VA and get my first Covid-19 vaccine shot.

Just another fun day in Paradise, smile

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online