SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#501953 - 01/08/21 01:26 PM Re: OT One of my favorite groups and major influence [Re: Bill Lewis]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
Chas --- Cousin to count Basie! ever meet him ?

Yeah Bill, we lived about three or four blocks away from him in St. Albans, Queens (NY). Mid to late 60's if I recall. My aunt, Ellen Basie, was his first cousin so I'm not sure what that makes me...but something?? I guess smile. Probably distant but just enough to brag about smile smile. I have been to gatherings at his house though, and seen him many times in clubs in NY (in small combo format). I was always a fan of his big band work but not necessarily of his 'one-finger' piano work. It must have taken a lot of courage for him to do that album with Oscar Peterson. That would be like me pairing up with Joey D. for an album.

I felt like I'd travelled back in time hearing you mention my friend Charles Earland (I used to play in his Aunt's club in suburban Philly where he'd stop by occasionally; and Trudy Pitts - we used to always say that she was the only female organ player at that time that played like a man (whatever that meant). In any case, Trudy could lay down a groove with the best of them. I didn't know Rhoda Scott but I knew Shirley Scott very well. Philly, especially that area around Germantown, was loaded with great players at that time, probably as a result of the Settlement music school (Grover Washington, Jimmy McGriff, numerous others). Glad there are guys like you around that still remember the great music and musicians that came out of that era (when the B3 was KING). sigh', guess I still live in the past. Hold on to those memories, Bill, and talk about it with your students if you're still teaching.

chas

#501954 - 01/08/21 04:02 PM Re: OT One of my favorite groups and major influence [Re: Bill Lewis]
cgiles Offline

Bill, since you mentioned Trudy (if you lived in the greater Philly area I'm sure you've probably seen Trudy and hubby Mr. C, do their thing....but just to refresh your memory....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWx7sa5JgH0&ab_channel=MaddyTube

I said she played 'like a man', truth is, she could play most men under the table. She was one of the few jazz organist around that time who was classically trained.

chas

#501955 - 01/08/21 04:39 PM Re: OT One of my favorite groups and major influence [Re: cgiles]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Trudy was great but didn't get to see her back in the day. Just the organ jam and when this llittle lady go behind the B she cooked. I do have picture or two of her at the concert.
BTw there is a Shirley Scott and Rhoda Scott. Rhoda went to Europe and hit it bigger then she ever would have in the states. Her doing an in house concert at a music dealer got me a great sale of a B3 we had. Had it shipped to the Netherlands, (guy had big bucks) He had it totally refinised and gone over and then I find out he DIDN'T PLAY jazz organ , just a bit of classical !! He just saw Rhoda and wanted THAT instrument.

#501956 - 01/08/21 04:45 PM Re: OT One of my favorite groups and major influence [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
BTW looked at the Rascals concert again and I don't think Felix was playing much organ. Organ jsut didn't sound right. The backup keyboard player was covering that and Felix did some piano on the keyboard on top of the B. Better for him to concentrate on vocals. Also no bass duties for him and three backup singers to help out, but it sounded great.
Highlight was Eddie doing "How Can I Be Sure" Great song and it was a show stopper. He actually did it better when we saw them and stopped the show for a good 10 minute ovation, and I believe the song list was also edited. One of my greatest concert memories.

#501957 - 01/08/21 05:59 PM Re: OT One of my favorite groups and major influence [Re: Bill Lewis]
cgiles Offline

Great post. I know my opinion is based largely on nostalgia but it just seems like both the music AND the musicians were BETTER back then smile smile .....and they did it without the help of computers. But hey, back then whiskey seemed stronger, girls were prettier, food tasted better, and we all played REAL music smile smile. Ahhh, I love how memories can enhance what life was REALLY like 'back then'.

chas

#501958 - 01/08/21 06:25 PM Re: OT One of my favorite groups and major influence [Re: Bill Lewis]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think that, just like Rhodes, or clavinets, or Wurli’s etc., you stand a MUCH better chance of getting a clone to sound close to the real thing if you have ever played the real thing in the first place..!

Fascinating stuff from both of you about some of the greats. Sad I missed much of it except on vinyl!

My B3 days were a mixed blessing... LOVED the sound, HATED moving it! Damn thing nearly killed me on several occasions 😂

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online