SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#501932 - 01/06/21 06:55 AM OT One of my favorite groups and major influence
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Big influence on me and probably the reason I dragged a B3 around for so many years. Actually named my first dog Rascals Enjoy

Bill rocker

#501933 - 01/06/21 10:04 AM Re: OT One of my favorite groups and major influence [Re: Bill Lewis]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
That is such up beat, energetic, and "feel good" music. There a lot of great music from that era for sure. I like Ray Manzarek,
of The Doors. He had some very creative musical ideas and and gave the band such a unique sound. Thanks for sharing your influences!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#501934 - 01/06/21 11:06 AM Re: OT One of my favorite groups and major influence [Re: Bill Lewis]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Thanks for that Rascals link Bill. Forgot how good they were...and still are!!!

And yea Felix Cavaliere, on the Hammond and vocals is awesome

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#501936 - 01/06/21 12:00 PM Re: OT One of my favorite groups and major influence [Re: Bill Lewis]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Ain’t no substitute for The King... the Mighty B3!

It was the core of most jazz and pop music for 30-40 years, until synths, really. Nailing that warm sound is an essential part of being a well rounded player. And one thing so many of us forget...

You absolutely CANNOT nail it without a swell pedal, preferably long throw. And no sustain pedal! Velocity sensitive organ sounds are terrible, as are organ sounds that are always overdriven. The swell pedal took the Hammond from sweet and smooth to snarly and rough, and without one of those, it really doesn’t matter if your arranger’s Hammond sim is accurate or not..!

Pump it up! 🎹😎🎹

#501945 - 01/07/21 02:14 PM Re: OT One of my favorite groups and major influence [Re: Bill Lewis]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Bill, as you know, I too am a "Hammond" fanatic - been playing one for 50 years (and still haven't gotten any better smile ). To add to what Diki was saying about the Expression pedal (yes, definitely MUST be 'long-throw'), in addition to adding those 'special' dynamics to the main organ tones, it (along with the pedal tap) is essential for those trying to get that 'Jimmy Smith/Jack McDuff/Jimmy Mcgriff' bass sound when playing this kind of 'Fatback' music. It's just a simple shuffle beat really, but with an extra dose of syncopation (aka 'groove'). It sounds best on a real Hammond (naturally) but you can come close with a high-quality clone w/pedals that you can configure like a real B3.

I threw something together to try to illustrate my point. Just straight blues changes and roughly based on a tune by my third cousin, Count Basie with the great Joe Williams on vocals - called 'Every Day I Have The Blues'. It's a little sloppy, one overdub, no corrections, no mixdown. Sounds best through bass-heavy monitors or headphones.

https://app.box.com/s/66pdsgzrb2nxjsf56vjhw7k2x8lhfnus

chas

#501946 - 01/08/21 01:40 AM Re: OT One of my favorite groups and major influence [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
That was sweet!
I had a B3 years ago, playing in bars and restaurants, but never really learned it well. All of these years later(45), I bought a Suzuki Hammond SK1. with a Yamaha FS6 pedal. I would love to have the registration to get close to the sound if I can.

Bernie

#501949 - 01/08/21 10:37 AM Re: OT One of my favorite groups and major influence [Re: Bernie9]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
My man....SWEET! I still use a B that's parked at the Alumni Club. Maintenance and moving costs about equal the income generated, but there's nothing better. Luckily, a country preacher and his son work part-time at the club, and they move the equipment between floors and even turn the stuff on. They have an M-1 at the church. I gave them one of my old 145's.

Felix was supposed to play for a client of mine at a summer NAMM in about 2008. Was going to work with John Sebastian the endorser of the client's amplifier (Burris amps)and the guitar player from Conan O'Brian. Felix got delayed...I rally looked forward to meeting and playing with him.

Got a serious love/hate thing for B's.

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (01/08/21 10:37 AM)

#501950 - 01/08/21 11:12 AM Re: OT One of my favorite groups and major influence [Re: cgiles]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By cgiles
Bill, as you know, I too am a "Hammond" fanatic - been playing one for 50 years (and still haven't gotten any better smile ). To add to what Diki was saying about the Expression pedal (yes, definitely MUST be 'long-throw'), in addition to adding those 'special' dynamics to the main organ tones, it (along with the pedal tap) is essential for those trying to get that 'Jimmy Smith/Jack McDuff/Jimmy Mcgriff' bass sound when playing this kind of 'Fatback' music. It's just a simple shuffle beat really, but with an extra dose of syncopation (aka 'groove'). It sounds best on a real Hammond (naturally) but you can come close with a high-quality clone w/pedals that you can configure like a real B3.

I threw something together to try to illustrate my point. Just straight blues changes and roughly based on a tune by my third cousin, Count Basie with the great Joe Williams on vocals - called 'Every Day I Have The Blues'. It's a little sloppy, one overdub, no corrections, no mixdown. Sounds best through bass-heavy monitors or headphones.

https://app.box.com/s/66pdsgzrb2nxjsf56vjhw7k2x8lhfnus

chas

Chas- very nice swinin' feel! But wait, Count Basie is your cousin ?!?
No wonder you can swing! But, yeah, I'd love to hear more about your relation to Count Basie. Definitely one of my favorite big- bands!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#501951 - 01/08/21 12:28 PM Re: OT One of my favorite groups and major influence [Re: cgiles]
Bill Lewis Offline

Chas --- Cousin to count Basie! ever meet him ? I do that tune too as a vocal. really nice comping on the organ and backround horn lines as well as the solos, but how come you didn't give the organ some solo love !
Years ago I went to a few of the organ jams at Symphony Hall in Newark NJ. Got to see Jack MCduff who had the new B3 ) , Charles Erland ( who used Jacks new B3 but couldn't work it at first ) Trudy Pitts, I believe Rhoda Scott was also there, and a few lesser known but very good Hammond Players.
Yes I think you can do great things with todays clones. Wish we had them back in the day. Even my BK9 with pedals does a decent job, one of the reasons I like it so much.
Thanks and give us some more, never get ehough B3 grease.

#501952 - 01/08/21 12:42 PM Re: OT One of my favorite groups and major influence [Re: captain Russ]
Bill Lewis Offline

Capt.
Nice that you get to still play a real B3. I'm passively looking for a church with one and maybe look into doing some services. I love Gospel.
I've met Felix a few times when he was touring with his own group "Felix's Rascals" I lent him my B3 for one of the gigs at a dinner theatre where we were the house band in the lounge. At the time I was leaving the leslie home and was playing the B through one of the first leslie clones the "Full Rotor", to an Ampeg 4X10 bass amp. Great power and really kicked out the bass (I played pedals) as well as handling my Rhodes. Felix didn't like it but he was very gracious and gave me a nice signed program after the show. Met him later at another show in Atlantic City and we laughed about the infamous Club Bene in NJ.
Its a shame that tour died so quick, it was sold out all over and people went crazy at the show, 2.5 hours of pure fun. I feel it all over again looking at that video. Is Dino the coolest drummer you've ever seen ? Read Gene's Cornish's book "Good Lovin" and he explains what happened along with the whole Rascals history. Good read.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online