SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#501673 - 12/04/20 01:40 PM "new" DX7 keys don't work, but external midi does
Sir Ricardo Offline

Loc: Berkeley, CA, USA
Greetings -

I just got a DX7 II D. It is virtually mint.

However, the keys don't trigger any sounds. If I run midi INTO the DX7, I DO get sounds. So the synth itself works, just not the keys.

NONE of the keys work.

Any thoughts? I got this DX7 from a friend who has had it in storage since the 90s. I don't think it's a battery issue, because the sounds are intact. Also, I don't think it's a key membrane issue, because NONE of the keys work.

Any comments or advice?

thanks much Richard

#501677 - 12/05/20 01:17 AM Re: "new" DX7 keys don't work, but external midi does [Re: Sir Ricardo]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Midi in those days had an option to disconnect the keys from the sound engine so it could be used as just a controller, see if you are getting anything from the Midi out socket when you press the keys, if so then a setting will need changing in the menu system, if not then it could still be a setting somewhere so still worthwhile going through all the menu items, otherwise you may need to take it into a repair shop. (Check to see if there are any Yamaha forums out there that deal in their older synth lines)

Bill

#501693 - 12/07/20 11:26 AM Re: "new" DX7 keys don't work, but external midi does [Re: abacus]
Sir Ricardo Offline

Loc: Berkeley, CA, USA
Thanks for the suggestion. Turns out the synth was set to 'local off'.....once I changed it to 'local on' the keys were activated.

so thanks!

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online