SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#501383 - 11/08/20 07:26 PM Seeking help for connecting multiple keyboards
Fatfingers Offline

Hi everyone. I'd like to use my Genos as a master controller and sometimes use the Genos to control sound engines from 2 or 3 other keyboards, while using the accompaniment styles from Genos. I use a mic, and occasionally a friend might stop by with a guitar and mic. I'm currently not interested in recording; just playing live and jamming at home. The other keyboards do not have a MIDI thru port. Would I need both a MIDI interface and also a line mixer? I'm assuming I would take the audio signal from each keyboard, mike and guitar and run those signals through the mixer to the powered speakers. I have absolutely no experience with MIDI. Is there a better method? Any suggestions appreciated!

Edited by Fatfingers (11/08/20 07:37 PM)

#501384 - 11/08/20 09:16 PM Re: Seeking help for connecting multiple keyboards [Re: Fatfingers]
tassiespirit Offline

Loc: Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
Fatfingers, not owning a Genos, I don't know how it works really. But you haven't mentioned what keyboards you want to connect to it and why two other keyboards; and maybe daw sound engine fgrom a daw would work better for you. Say something like Mainstage which is easy to set up and run pads and strings over keys etc. Even split the keyboard and or layer the sounds pre playing.

Normally when you use a keyboard that has a midi connection, you get some very good quality midi cables or midi to usb, not the cheap ones. Then look at the manual to see how it is set up. There is a hugh amount of midi instruction videos online.

Here is a video for two midi controllers and an iphone setup that might give you one or two ideas for what you may want to look at. Here the Iphone has the sounds that go to the two keyboards, but look at the connections for ideas only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le6O2PlpdXc

Also, have a look at this video using Genos as a midi controller:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWm2eE6300c

Allan

Edited by tassiespirit (11/08/20 09:24 PM)

#501392 - 11/09/20 08:52 AM Re: Seeking help for connecting multiple keyboards [Re: tassiespirit]
Fatfingers Offline

Thanks Allan -- using a DAW sounds like a great suggestion for using more than one keyboard. In addition to my Genos, I have a MODX for those rare times when I want to play outside my house because my back can't handle lugging the Genos around. Also I have a Hammond SX1 with a pedalboard because I love the Leslie sounds but had to sell my B3 years ago. Currently I just like to sit down and play rather than spending much time fiddling with a computer, and I don't record what I play. That's why I was originally thinking of a MIDI interface and an audio mixer for output. But if a DAW can eliminate that hardware, that sounds like a better solution.

#501399 - 11/09/20 04:40 PM Re: Seeking help for connecting multiple keyboards [Re: Fatfingers]
tassiespirit Offline

Originally Posted By Fatfingers
Thanks Allan -- using a DAW sounds like a great suggestion for using more than one keyboard. In addition to my Genos, I have a MODX for those rare times when I want to play outside my house because my back can't handle lugging the Genos around. Also I have a Hammond SX1 with a pedalboard because I love the Leslie sounds but had to sell my B3 years ago. Currently I just like to sit down and play rather than spending much time fiddling with a computer, and I don't record what I play. That's why I was originally thinking of a MIDI interface and an audio mixer for output. But if a DAW can eliminate that hardware, that sounds like a better solution.

Sounds like you have some great 'boards there and good sounds on them too.
If you use a DAW, then the sounds and effects etc are updated at less money but you get way more for your $$'s. Have a look at Ableton Live 10, as it is very popular for midi controllers user and many other users alike. You can download it for free for 90 days trial to see if it works for you - Mac or PC. Plus here is the page to do a comparision of features for each level of the software.
https://www.ableton.com/en/shop/live/
Also, here is a link in Youtube for tutorials for beginners:-
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ableton+live+10+tutorial

But, this is one option, of course and it really is up to you and your back lol.

Allan taz

#501400 - 11/09/20 05:05 PM Re: Seeking help for connecting multiple keyboards [Re: tassiespirit]
tassiespirit Offline

Fatfingers,
Another way is to use Mainstage for your sounds - which is very cheap around $40 ish dollars. You can step up your keyboard or midi controller and all the sounds come from Mainstage. It can split the keyboard and layer as much as you like.
Also you can setup lots of changes to suit your songs and there is great support for it.
The only draw back is you have to load it on Mac no PC support.

I can send you both Ableton and Mainstage setups/ Templates/ Patches plus a few arps for Ableton to get you started fo piano/ strings and pads. The rest can be up to you. these are used for lots of music / songs but I use them for church stuff. They were setup by others and freely distributed, so give them the credit.

Allan.

Edited by tassiespirit (11/09/20 05:10 PM)

#501405 - 11/09/20 09:37 PM Re: Seeking help for connecting multiple keyboards [Re: tassiespirit]
Fatfingers Offline

Thanks Allan once again! Before I got your reply, I downloaded the free trial version of FL Studio and watched a couple of tutorials. But I've heard a lot of recommendations for Ableton, and I use a Mac so MainStage would also be fine. I do appreciate your offer to share setups, templates and patches but first I'll do some more research. But one additional question: which would you recommend for a beginner if I'm not currently interested in spending much time with sequencer software, but would like to pull in different sounds and patches during live play, plus have everything connected together via MIDI?

#501407 - 11/09/20 11:18 PM Re: Seeking help for connecting multiple keyboards [Re: Fatfingers]
tassiespirit Offline

I would look at Mainstage first, as it is not a sequencer but more a sound template setup way to go for live performance.

https://support.apple.com/kb/ph13512?locale=en_AU
Remeber it islimited in shaping your sounds and the layout is visual and you can see a keyboard on the screen. The cost of the software indicates the limits too.

Great for cover band music and if you are not changing things all the time. Mainstage doesn't have all the knobs and sliders to be mapped. It allows 2?! And that main slider you can make, say for volume of an instument, stays there for that instument. When you change the instrument you must also map it again for the next instrument you want to use.

Ableton Live is a full DAW and the basic version has 1500 plus sounds and you run it differently and you can have have all the knobs and sliders for you tweaking etc. Once you have it all setup it will stay there and is more professional too.

You pay for what you get.

There are two main views in Ableton. You can also insert voice tracks or midi ( multiple) etc etc...... or not.

Allan

Edited by tassiespirit (11/09/20 11:54 PM)

#501408 - 11/10/20 02:38 AM Re: Seeking help for connecting multiple keyboards [Re: tassiespirit]
tassiespirit Offline

Fatfingers, here is a very basic stage setup for Mainstage and a single keyboard/ midi controller DI box (sterio) to mixer).

Allan

Attachments
Affordable basic setup for stage.jpg

#501415 - 11/10/20 06:15 PM Re: Seeking help for connecting multiple keyboards [Re: tassiespirit]
tassiespirit Offline

Here are some Patches and installer for Mainstage - Mac OS of course. Keys, strings Pads etc etc.

They are free on a site setup for adding people using Mainstage and Ableton Live 10 for keyboard setup. I have downloaded the same for the Ableton Live software if anyone wants them posted.

Hope these are helpful for those who like to setup and use Mainstage on their keyboards and are a little bitunsure how to make their own templates as yet. Use these as a guide ( including the sounds) and change them to suit your setups.

Cheers

Allan

Attachments
Mainstage Free+Patches+Installer.dmg.zip (0 downloads)

#501417 - 11/10/20 09:10 PM Re: Seeking help for connecting multiple keyboards [Re: Fatfingers]
Fatfingers Offline

Appreciate the comments and explanation Allan. I don't have much time invested in FL Studio yet, so I'll take a look at some videos for Ableton beginners and see which appeals. While MainStage might be more suitable for me at the moment, I also wouldn't mind having the extra horsepower a DAW such as Ableton has in case I decide to dive deeper into electronic music.

Hadn't heard of a DI box before...looks like something else that might need to find a spot on my shopping list.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online