SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#500899 - 10/04/20 11:20 PM Love Beethoven
Gerry M Offline

Loc: Sahuarita Arizona
I love Ludwig von Beethoven's music. Thanks to my piano teacher I was able to study and play some of Beethoven's sonatas, but his symphonies are my favorite. Today I found an interpretation of Beethoven's fifth symphony played on an electronic dual keyboard. I've never heard of this brand, may be one of you have, but in case you're curious, here is the youtube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCED5cVnxxY&ab_channel=MarcoCerbella

Enjoy,
Gerry

#500900 - 10/05/20 12:34 AM Re: Love Beethoven [Re: Gerry M]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
You have never heard of Yamaha Organs, (Electones) this is where all their arranger keyboards span off from in the 80s, with the organs starting decades earlier.

He has been featured before and is a great player; however Beethoven is quite popular in organ circles so you will find plenty of renditions on You Tube if you do a search.

Thanks for posting

Bill

#500905 - 10/05/20 07:57 AM Re: Love Beethoven [Re: abacus]
Gerry M Offline

Loc: Sahuarita Arizona
Thanks Bill!

#500918 - 10/05/20 12:39 PM Re: Love Beethoven [Re: Gerry M]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Wow, I am impressed! Anyone that can play with both hands and their feet has my utmost respect!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#500919 - 10/05/20 12:49 PM Re: Love Beethoven [Re: Gerry M]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
WOW Incredible playing. And the work it took to get the correct sounds and what hand plays what part is amazing. wonder how long it took him to put it all together.

#500923 - 10/05/20 03:25 PM Re: Love Beethoven [Re: Gerry M]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
My thoughts exactly. How did put this together? A published written arrangement?
His own arrangement? Either way, very impressive playing skills and sounds.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#500932 - 10/06/20 07:25 AM Re: Love Beethoven [Re: Gerry M]
Crossover Offline

I know the first movement of the 5th symphony quite well, he didn't change anything, it's quite the original arrangement as taken from the orchestral score. If he really plays EVERYTHING live, of which I'm not entirely sure yet, it must have been very difficult to change the registrations so quickly and so frequently, sometimes even within a bar, to cover all strings, woodwinds, brass etc.

#500937 - 10/06/20 09:03 AM Re: Love Beethoven [Re: Gerry M]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
One of the advantages of a dual-manual organ with pedals is that you can have at least five voices available at all times. The registration buttons are immediately above the keybed and easy-to-reach. There may also be toe and heel switches on the swell (expression) pedal that can be operated subtly, you wouldn't see it unless you're really looking.

He might well be using some MIDI but it's amazing what a skilled organist can accomplish live!

Edited by TedS (10/06/20 09:03 AM)

#500940 - 10/06/20 10:14 AM Re: Love Beethoven [Re: Gerry M]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Yes he is using the pedal footswitch to go through the registrations that he has set up, (Pretty much all organ players do it if they have that facility on board and most instruments from the 80s on do) and if you look closely at the display you will see the registration numbers increasing as well as the lights between the manuals changing..

Bill

#500949 - 10/06/20 09:18 PM Re: Love Beethoven [Re: Gerry M]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
By the way, that's a technique that a lot of arrangers can do, setting up a series of registrations and stepping through them with footswitches. As long as sounding voices don't get cut off, it can be quite magical!

I set up a large number of my songs that need more than a simple sound change like this, with Performances for Intro, Verse, Chorus, Solo etc.. The advantage of this is the freedom from thinking about anything other than the music..! As arranger players, we often cripple ourselves musically trying to do everything on the fly, change sounds, change variations, change splits, cue fills, juggle flaming knives!

Yes, setting it all up in advance takes away a hair of the spontaneity of it all. But as this Beethoven clip shows, what you gain is equally if not more musical. And, when push comes to shove, aren't we playing MUSIC. not pushing buttons???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online