SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#500744 - 09/21/20 04:09 PM best keyboard & accessories stand?
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
I'm looking to add a second 61 note kb and a 48 note kb midi controller
+ a laptop to my setup. Thinking I coould have 61 note on bottom with the 49 note Controller with laptop beside it on top. Any thjoughts and suggestions?

#500745 - 09/21/20 06:56 PM Re: best keyboard & accessories stand? [Re: ekurburski]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
I used an A-frame type stand for a little while with my Roland E-50 and Yamaha PSR-s910. I think it was the On-stage KS7903, except for some reason I only remember it having two tiers.

The most important reasons I chose this stand were: (1) it was sturdy, (2) the "spacing" between tiers was fully adjustable, and (3) the angle of the arms was also adjustable.

I don't play pianistically (and I'm not sure that's even possible with a multi-tier setup.) You will ALWAYS have some compromise. But having a comfortable reach to both sets of keys, and some visibility of the displays was important. I found that a slight angle actually made the black keys more accessible. It would have worked equally well for playing standing up. I also don't sing so I didn't need to worry about poking a mic through between tiers. If you need a microphone, a headset style might be the best type with this setup.

I had also intended to use my laptop for score display, page turns, and even MIDI sequences. The top-most tier would have been way too high to see or view seated, so my thought was to put it off to one side. I'm sure they make dedicated laptop or notebook stands for this purpose. I was planning to set mine on a heavy-duty Manhasset music stand, and I think I tried it once for size and sturdiness.

Sadly this versatile and powerful arrangement didn't last long. After 6 mos I decided that I wanted my dining room to look like a dining room, and not like an '80s Journey set. So I ditched the multi-tier stand, and upgraded to a Tyros 5 driven by a couple of special styles on a BK-7m placed subtly off to one side. This combo had most of the power of my E-50 / PSR-S910 duo. To visitors it probably wasn't obvious that I was using two arrangers. I chose the Tyros because it had a decently-sized built-in score display with page turns. So the most pressing need for the laptop disappeared too. I could have let the Tyros take over with a MIDI sequence at any time, and except for the absence of mistakes, no one would have been the wiser!

I'm sure others will have other recommendations but I can tell you from experience that it's possible to achieve an effective setup.

Edited by TedS (09/23/20 09:42 AM)

#500746 - 09/21/20 07:46 PM Re: best keyboard & accessories stand? [Re: ekurburski]
ekurburski Offline

thank you Ted for your excellent comments. Interestingly the two arranger set up is pretty much what I plan on using. I intend on going the cheap route and continue using my 3000 (until I save up enough to upgrade to a newer kb) as my main keyboard in front of me. This would give me access to the thousands of styles available. Then on the stand to the right I would use my 740 on the bottom. This could be set up to use 3 or 4 main go to voices for melodys, ect. This could later be replaced with the 3000 when I upgrade the main kb. On the upper tier I would place my M-Audio 49 and the laptop. I want to run a couple vsts (that I already have) as well as copy of Open Text for lyric display.

I understand that this is not the most optimal setup. I would be using kb's that are over 20 years but it equipment I have and I really can't get anything for it if I tried to sell it. With the prospects of future gigging being so much in the air I am inclined to think any investment n upgrading to be unjustified at this time and really do think it would be best to use what I have.

#500748 - 09/22/20 02:22 AM Re: best keyboard & accessories stand? [Re: ekurburski]
Magali Offline

Loc: FRANCE
If using a laptop doesn't scare you, I invite you to take a look at the software "vArranger"
of Dan who is sometimes mentioned here.

A small fraction of the cost of a keyboard; accepts VST and VSTi , reads files midi , karaoke , texts etc.

moreover the soft can play styles of all brands with a lot of efficiency if you take the banks of optional sounds
that go well with it. It is not essential either, it depends on your quality requirements.

Here's a link to get an idea: https://www.varranger.com/english-forum/

#500759 - 09/22/20 06:35 PM Re: best keyboard & accessories stand? [Re: Magali]
ekurburski Offline

Actually I am a long time user of biab. See no reason for spending $4oo on varranger.

#500765 - 09/23/20 03:04 AM Re: best keyboard & accessories stand? [Re: ekurburski]
Magali Offline

Loc: FRANCE
BIAB is an excellent software that outperforms even our arrangers in certain areas.

However difficult to compare with vArranger since not real time.

It would be great to have BIAB devices on arrangers even if they were not in real time.

In fact, a big extension of what exists today. Maybe one day.

#500772 - 09/24/20 09:53 AM Re: best keyboard & accessories stand? [Re: ekurburski]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Originally Posted By ekurburski
I'm looking to add a second 61 note kb and a 48 note kb midi controller
+ a laptop to my setup. Thinking I coould have 61 note on bottom with the 49 note Controller with laptop beside it on top. Any thjoughts and suggestions?

I only use one keyboard my Roland BK9 but like to have a two tier stand. Top tier to put my iPad, sheets, etc. on. Best I found for portability and adjustments of every angle is the Standtastic Two Tier stand. Folds up small and easy setup once you do the initial adjustments on it.

#500774 - 09/24/20 11:53 AM Re: best keyboard & accessories stand? [Re: ekurburski]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Bill, did you get a music stand included with your BK-9? I use mine for all that, saves on a second tier for me...

Mind you just for preparedness, I wish I could find a second tier for my https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/...-keyboard-table though. It appears to have mounting points, but Gator don’t make one. Best single tier stand ever, though... Leg at each corner makes for the most rock solid stand I ever had. If you play a real piano, it don’t move no matter HOW hard you rock out on it! Same with a B3. It’s great to finally have that degree of solidity with a lightweight keyboard!

I love how modern 76’s can get down to 20lbs or so but the downsides is how easily they bounce around and sway on x-stands. Leg at each corner makes it all go away!

#500777 - 09/25/20 06:44 AM Re: best keyboard & accessories stand? [Re: ekurburski]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I do use the music rest when set up on a table stand. I may start to use that setup more. I just didn't know if the music rest wold be big enough or adjustable enough. I searched forever for a compact two tier and like you found no suitable second tier attachments for any table stands. Didn't want multiple pieces when I move. The Standtastic one is the best I found. A bit shaky setting it up with the tiers hanging loose but only takes a minute and packs up small.

#500779 - 09/25/20 07:40 AM Re: best keyboard & accessories stand? [Re: ekurburski]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
It’s not really adjustable without permanently bending the pins, but I find the rake sufficient to not have anything fall over. But I do need a support board (stiff cardboard works fine) if doing large multi page sheet music or the top can flop backwards. It’s easy enough to keep a sheet of that in the base of the case...

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online