SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#500663 - 09/14/20 04:07 PM Re: Headphones/Mic All In One [Re: lahawk]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Don’t forget, need to cough? Need to converse with a patron off the mic?

Not so easy with a headphone mic... 😎

#500707 - 09/18/20 06:37 AM Re: Headphones/Mic All In One [Re: lahawk]
JimboKeys Offline

I had that same Yamaha headset mic. It's designed for computer connection, but includes a separate battery/preamp box that you need to use to convert to a normal 1/8" or 1/4" output. I used it a couple times for a jam/rehearsal (with one side off-the-ear so i could still hear) and found that the mic wasn't very good. Tossed it in the trash when the foam earpieces started to disintegrate.

OK, that being said - i'd kicked around the idea of trying a headset mic again, based on the experience of Gary and others on this board. Picked up a (relatively) inexpensive Shure PGA31 condenser mic, figuring i wouldn't be out much if it didn't work out. Note that headset mics in general are designed for connection to a wireless transmitter, so you need a preamp/adapter dongle (which costs a bit) - Shure sells one but i'm having good results with the cheaper YPA A65P. And you will need phantom power, so i'm not sure if your keyboard supplies that.

Bottom line - for me, the advantages of going with the headset mic far outweigh the disadvantages. I love not being stuck in one position behind the keyboard - i don't have anything between me and the keyboard, i'm free to turn toward whoever i'm singing to, and can even stand up when i play a song on flute (the headset mic picks that up just fine). And not having to deal with a mic stand is one less thing to worry about forgetting to pack.

Oh, and that PGA31 condenser mic has way exceeded my expectations, no problem with the sound at all.

Just my own experience,
- Jimbo

Edited by JimboKeys (09/18/20 06:38 AM)

#500708 - 09/18/20 08:26 AM Re: Headphones/Mic All In One [Re: JimboKeys]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
OK, Jimbo has a lot of good thoughts, I have one question. I am used to move towards the mic, and away, depending.
Are you going to use voice control for the high and low notes? (volume) When you get close for sensitive parts, the mic does get deeper, fuller.

I am open for your thoughts, John C.

#500736 - 09/20/20 12:21 PM Re: Headphones/Mic All In One [Re: lahawk]
JimboKeys Offline

Hey John -
Thanks for the reply. That's one of the trade-offs i had to make with a headset mic, not to be able to lean into the mic to bring out those low notes that i struggle with. I've toyed with the idea of using a footswitch or MIDI control to boost the mic at those times, but for now i'm just doing without and not worrying about it.

#500739 - 09/21/20 08:18 AM Re: Headphones/Mic All In One [Re: lahawk]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
For me, it's more of a timbre thing rather than just volume. Volume I can control to a certain extent with some kind of compression on the mic (I love the input section on those TC things) but leaning in made the voice warmer, bassier, sexier! Moving out made it harder, thinner, more cutting...

Working the mic has its musical uses as well as damage control aspects!

Jimbo, if you aren't already using a vocal compressor, try one of those cheap Mic Mechanic footpedals or a TC Perform-VK etc.. They do an awesome job of evening out your dynamics.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online