SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#50047 - 04/01/03 12:37 PM SOUND CARD QUESTION
KN6 Guy Offline

Loc: Northern California
Hello,

I'm new to the forum. I have a question about the sound cards that are installed in back of the keyboards. I have a KN6000 and have heard in the past that one of the sound cards has a better (fuller) piano sound than the excellent main piano in the KN6. I would appreciate knowing which card has this better piano sound. It seems to me that it was called the EW-65 but when I inquired about it from Technote, I was told there are 4 cards and they are Number 1 - Pop, Number 2 - Vintage, Number 3, etc., etc. According to what I was told, there is no reference to EW-01 and in this case, what I thought the updated piano was in, the EW-65. Am I confused or what? Anyway, I would appreciate hearing from you members which card I am referring to and just how good this piano sound is and above all, if better, why and how does it sound better? The one in the KN6 is very good.

Thanks,

KN6 Guy

#50048 - 04/01/03 01:53 PM Re: SOUND CARD QUESTION
technicsplayer Offline

it was the ew65 card which virtually upgraded the 6k to 6k5 status. The 6k5 piano uses the same samples as the digital pianos and was more subtle and richer than the 6k main piano, which had a stereo sample but did not have velocity triggered stereo multi-samples for example.

It is all a matter of personal taste, and the 6k piano might still be better to stand out in a VERY busy mix, but for solo and general playing I would be amazed if anyone who was used to steinway sound would not prefer the piano in the 6k5.

the ew65 card should still be available and had a good collection of other soloist sounds (recorded with natural vibrato and extra wave rom) superior to the standard sounds in the 6k.

#50049 - 04/01/03 02:00 PM Re: SOUND CARD QUESTION
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hello!

Welcome to our KN forum. I'm sure you will find a warm welcome here from all of us and plenty of help should you need it. I just checked in and saw your first post. I have a KN6000 and have installed the SY-EW65NX card, so perhaps I can shed some light on your question.

The SY-EW65NX card is a wave expansion board upgrade kit. In essence it converts your KN6000 to a KN6500. There are 60 additional (new) sounds, six of which are piano sounds. The piano sounds added are: Concert Grand; Mono Grand; Upright Piano; Pop Grand; Mellow Grand; and, Baby Grand. I use the concert grand voice almost exclusively. I like its richness and fullness. I use the other piano voices so little that I don't believe I can make a meaningful comparison of sounds for you. The SY-EW65NX upgrade card has 20 piano sounds and round about 1100+ sounds in total.

The EW-01, EW-02, EW03, and EW-04 cards are sound expansion cards and have many useful voices. Some are excellent and others middle of the road. I have the 01, 02, and 03 cards. The 03 card does not have any acoustic piano voices but does provide 18 electric piano voices. There are no piano voices included among the sounds on the 01 and 02 cards. I do not have the 04 card yet but think I will purchase it soon.

Since I have the 65 card installed and the KN6000 has only two expansion slots, I can only use one card at a time. The KN7000 has four expansion slots so it will accomodate all four cards. That is a significant advantage.

I am certain that if you contact Technote International by e-mail, someone there would be happy to give you all the details concerning the content of the cards I have been discussing. Their website address is as follows:
http://www.technote.com/home.asp

If I can be of further help to you just ask. I will try my best to answer your questions.

Again, welcome!

Chuck

#50050 - 04/01/03 02:05 PM Re: SOUND CARD QUESTION
Chuck Piper Offline

Hi Alec,

We were obviously typing at the same time. I agree with you regarding the piano sound on the upgrade card. It is terrific. As I said above, I use it almost to the exclusion of all other piano voices.

Glad you're back and contributing again. Your presence just makes this forum a happier, more informative place to be.

Take care.

Chuck

#50051 - 04/01/03 02:13 PM Re: SOUND CARD QUESTION
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
You beat me to it Chuck Must learn to type faster
I echo Chuck's comments and would add that the EW-65 may also be available in USA from http://www.wtenaykeyboardstudios.com/

Welcome to THE Technics Forum....

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#50052 - 04/01/03 04:09 PM Re: SOUND CARD QUESTION
Chuck Piper Offline

Hi Bill,

Wish I could play a keyboard or golf as well as I type! I keep hoping for miracles! Got any to spare?

Chuck

#50053 - 04/01/03 04:39 PM Re: SOUND CARD QUESTION
KN6 Guy Offline

Thanks, Technicsplayer, Chuck and Willum.

So, if I understand correctly, there are a total of 5 cards - The ew65, a.k.a. SY-EW65NX - Correct? Then there is the EW-01, EW-02, EW-03 and EW-04, making a total of 5 cards. Since we are talking about only two slots, I am assuming these cards are all designed alike to fit in these slots? I say this because I get the impression the EW65 is a different type of card than the other four cards.

From what you have stated, I think the Concert Grand sound in the EW65 would be very suitable for the type of work I am doing. I am playing in Pianist Mode, along with complex bass and drum patterns that I have done in Composer.

I am surprised the guy at Technote didn't know what I was talking about when I mentioned the EW65, other than telling me that they only carried the 4 cards and named them as, Pop, Vintage, Show and I forgot, the other. I even mentioned that the card I was talking about brought the KN6 up to a KN65 level. Anyway, thanks to all of you. I'll contact the sites at your suggestion, Chuck and Willum.

KN6 Guy

#50054 - 04/02/03 02:04 AM Re: SOUND CARD QUESTION
technicsplayer Offline

the ew65 card was made for kn6000 only, and is not meant to be used with any other model. Since the 6000 has been replaced now by 2 further models, the card is probably no longer current in the listings, I would imagine. However you should still be able to find an ew65 from stock if you search around.

#50055 - 04/02/03 02:08 AM Re: SOUND CARD QUESTION
Chuck Piper Offline

Hello again:

While the EW-65 upgrade card is a slightly different configuration than the EW-01, 02, 03, and 04 cards, the connectors for all five cards ARE THE SAME, hence all of them fit the two connectors provided in the KN6000. It doesn't matter which card is plugged into which plug-in slot because both are identical, thus there are no compatability problems. It is easy to remove the screws from the back of the instrument and insert the cards. All you need is a Phillips screwdriver. Installation instructions come with each card as well as a list of the sounds.

Since you play in pianist mode primarily, my personal opinion is that you would be very happy with the Concert Grand sound of the EW-65 upgrade kit. As I said, I have the EW-01, 02, and 03 cards and currently have the 03 installed. The 03 card has "Vintage Keyboard" sounds. Since it is the only one of the three cards that has piano sounds (all electric piano), you may be more interested in it than the others. It also has a wide range of organ sounds and I like to play piano and organ, hence the reason I have the 03 intalled in preference to the others.

Well, I've rambled on long enough. Hope these additional comments are helpful. Take care.

Chuck

#50056 - 04/02/03 09:20 AM Re: SOUND CARD QUESTION
KN6 Guy Offline

Hello,

Thanks, technicsplayer and Chuck - You both have been most helpful. From what you have said, I am definitely going to get or try to get the EW65, if it is available.

Thanks, again - What a great forum.

KN6 Guy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online