SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#500549 - 09/05/20 03:45 PM midi & standalonge vsps.
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
I've been toiling with the idea of using existing equipment snd adding vst's to my performance setup. I have a MOTU 5in/5out interface I Have never used. A M_Audio Oxygen 49 keyboard, and assorted laptops I'm no longer using. I also have a PSR 740 I'm not using in any way. Picked up copy of VIP 32 bit and 64 bit to run everything. Using PSR3000 s main accompaniment keyboard. And this brings yp many many questions.

#1 Should I use the 740 (61 note manual) for main MIDI controller or the Audio Oxygen. The 740 would offer the full 61 note manual. The Oxygen offers the 8 sliders one can use like drawbars.

#2. Do I need to use the audio interface or can I hook this up direct?

A lot more questions for the future but that will do me for now.

#500551 - 09/06/20 12:23 AM Re: midi & standalonge vsps. [Re: ekurburski]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Have a good read of this (Including the audio pages) and it should get you going as to what you wish to achieve.

Have fun

Bill

#500568 - 09/08/20 12:08 PM Re: midi & standalonge vsps. [Re: abacus]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
Thank you Bill For the link. A Lot of material there. Most of this stuff I'm familiar with but will go through it in hopes I'll pick up something new.

#501186 - 10/21/20 05:35 AM Re: midi & standalonge vsps. [Re: ekurburski]
tassiespirit Offline

Loc: Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
Originally Posted By ekurburski
I've been toiling with the idea of using existing equipment snd adding vst's to my performance setup. I have a MOTU 5in/5out interface I Have never used. A M_Audio Oxygen 49 keyboard, and assorted laptops I'm no longer using. I also have a PSR 740 I'm not using in any way. Picked up copy of VIP 32 bit and 64 bit to run everything. Using PSR3000 s main accompaniment keyboard. And this brings yp many many questions.

#1 Should I use the 740 (61 note manual) for main MIDI controller or the Audio Oxygen. The 740 would offer the full 61 note manual. The Oxygen offers the 8 sliders one can use like drawbars.

#2. Do I need to use the audio interface or can I hook this up direct?

A lot more questions for the future but that will do me for now.

Ekurburski,

How did you go with all this, I would like to know an update if you don't mind?
1. From what I can find out the Yamaha PRS models were never really good at being used as midi controllers like the Tyros/ Genos models - the midi was not developed/ installed to run as such in the lower models.
2. An audio interface is usally recommended to connect your device or even a guitar through it, since it is a piece of hardware that expands and improves the sonic capabilities of a computer for any instrument really. But some are better than others.

Like a Behringer UM2 U-Phoria 2×2 Audio Interface are great and cheap to buy but the thrtough put level is lower/ weaker than say a Focusrite Scarlett Solo (Gen 3) 2-in, 2-out USB audio interface. The Focusrite are widely used but the price can be off putting ( well to my pocket anyway).

There are simpler interfaces that you can run directly from a 2 x midi keyboards to.

The M_Audio Oxygen is a great board and by using the above or a DAW on a Laptop/ Mac you can have a very straight forward setup.

So...... how did you go and what did you end up with?

Allan

#501187 - 10/21/20 05:40 AM Re: midi & standalonge vsps. [Re: tassiespirit]
tassiespirit Offline

Loc: Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
That connecter to an Iphone , one version is a Yamaha i-MX1 iOS MIDI Interface, pretty cool.

Allan

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online